• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentionally Limiting Supply, or just poor quality control?

As with almost everyone here, I don't know. But I'd guess that it's a matter of costing more to manufacture to tighter specifications, and not worth the expense to do so. Intentional, in that they make a business decision to produce to a only certain tolerance. But not intentional, in the sense that Innova (or anyone else) expects someone to buy 9 172g Star Wraiths to find one identical to the one they lost last year.

But what do I know? There's a whole lot more inconsistency in my arm than in the discs.

I stopped reading when I got to here, because I'm pretty sure this is the correct one. The higher the degree of accuracy in manufacturing something, the exponentially higher the cost.

I probably am understating what the costs are, but is there really a good reason that parting line heights vary so much? or domeyness? or getting a consistent plastic? I don't really believe that there is. These do not seem to be high cost or technology issues. These seem like business or procedure issues.

Now, with that being said, it is very possible that Innova is running extremly old and outdated injection molding machines. In which case, you guys are right and Innova is doing everything they can and are producing good products with the resources that they have and upgrading to new machines is not worth the cost if the only goal is consistency between runs. In the future that may or may not be the case, but if that is indeed the case now, I stand corrected.

Damn you people! Now I want to tour Innova (which they do not allow) to see exactly what is going on. I've thought WAY too much about this today. :D

Its probably a simple answer of using rejected plastic. Be it medical, space, or military grade the rejection could come with a number of reasons. It is still xxx brand xxx model but it has failed in a myriad of ways.

With this as your starting point it doesn't matter how consistent your production is, your product is going to vary wildly.

"Quality discs aren't a matter of money invested, but rather a process that corrects the carelessness"

"They can't make quality discs because it would be too expensive."

"Quality discs aren't a matter of money invested, but rather a process that corrects the carelessness"

If you want to think that making plastic discs both cheap and consistent is beyond the laws of physics and economics, please continue.
These things are ****ing simple to make.

Nobody said it was rocket science.

I made that comment to illustrate that QC/'standard of care' for MEDICAL plastics that are going inside people's bodies DEMAND a higher level of control/care/regularity and that IS NOT CHEAP
And none of your blathering makes that untrue.

I didn't bring it up for a lesson in redundancy that has nothing to do with any valid point being made here.

All you second guessers act like you're on the factory floor at Innova (or wherever).

The fact is YOU DON'T KNOW SH#T compared to people who've been making discs for 30 years.

There are at least 10 people on here that should be able to top innova with a fuggin' microwave and some packing pellets if you believe the horse-sh%t on this thread

Mods

Please change thread title to: I DON'T GET WHY HIPPY/REDNECK/WHITETRASH FRINGE SPORT FLYING DISCS AREN'T MANUFACTURED TO THE SAME TOLERANCES AS SURGICAL REPLACEMENT JOINTS?

The company I work for makes all kinds of injected parts. One of the problems we have is keeping the raw material dry. Any type of moisture can cause all kinds of inconsistencies in the finished part. I doubt innova or any other disc manufacturers equipment is in a controlled environment which would solve some of these problems.
Inconsistencies could also come from the operator. 'Bob' may find the machine runs better today with the head temperature hotter than the day before. While the cooling cycle shorter than the day before. This change in settings would definitely cause variations.
I don't think any of the inconsistencies are intentional, maybe just QC problems.

There are simple solutions, they just aren't the best buisness models.
If they just find the month with the most consistant weather, buy larger supply of pellets, and use a new mold to run discs in one color, one time per year- that would solve alot if the "problems". Lol

to those that believe higher quality is in demand- lol piont to the new popularity of the recycled plastics-which, btw, plastic engineers laugh that they're charging more for these.

Greevus, to your comment about acceptence of quality based on generations:
I disagree, the tech items purchased by my parents and grandparents were solid and built to last, now my generation (and others) buy items with known problems such as iPhones, plasma tv's, etc..
If you were trying to sell my grandpa a plasma for ten times the amout of his last tv, but it has a limited number of viewing hours- he'd probally laugh or punch you in the face;)

Mods

Please change thread title to: I DON'T GET WHY HIPPY/REDNECK/WHITETRASH FRINGE SPORT FLYING DISCS AREN'T MANUFACTURED TO THE SAME TOLERANCES AS SURGICAL REPLACEMENT JOINTS?

You are my hero, mr pig

And while it is a stinging description is some respects, that is a dynamic summary.

Anyone else notice a difference in champion starfires? Last year they were really flat, the ones this year have a noticeable dome...

I hear it is really easy and cheap to make consistent discs. I've got like $20 in change in a fishbowl I think I'm gonna start my own injection molding company.

Seriously someone track down those Gateway videos where they store the pellets in a barrel covered by cardboard in a skeezy warehouse. That right there will answer all the questions of why discs are inconsistent

Seriously someone track down those Gateway videos where they store the pellets in a barrel covered by cardboard in a skeezy warehouse. That right there will answer all the questions of why discs are inconsistent

If Gateway's that bad, I'd love a tour of the Lightning factory. :|

Is this them Frank?

Last edited:
yeah that's the video. Look at those tightly controlled conditions.

Also he weighed it first then snipped the excess plastic, seems backwards.

Latest posts