• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introduction and Question About Accurate Overhead Discs

FIRST & FOREMOST W/ OVERHAND: Stretch, warm-up, & complete follow through.

Then, toss around some plastic & see what does what and what type of lines you can run w/ different discs. Don't be afraid to toss some mids as well as they have a much different line coming in (my only overhand ace is w/ a wasp).

For me, Firebirds & Eagles do the brunt. The Eagles have a wider path (left to right) than the FBs do, but don't get quite as good distance. The higher end plastic is great for them & go max weight. Practice height of throws (it's easier for me to dial distance down w/ height rather than power), angle of release, tumber, t-hawk, and the like. You can get overhand shots to do a ton of cool things w/ practice.

pd

I've always used venoms for tommys and thumbers, tacoed a few d's and finally got an esp that still looks brand new after 2 months use. I throw tommys a bit farther, about 300' with about 30'-40' side to side movement, thumbers go much straighter but only about 250' max. I have a heavy z flick that I use because it doesn't do the full S flight when thrown vertical, just goes straight up and stays vertical for most of the time and fades a bit as it comes down.

pointdisc said:
FIRST & FOREMOST W/ OVERHAND: Stretch, warm-up, & complete follow through.

Then, toss around some plastic & see what does what and what type of lines you can run w/ different discs. Don't be afraid to toss some mids as well as they have a much different line coming in (my only overhand ace is w/ a wasp).

For me, Firebirds & Eagles do the brunt. The Eagles have a wider path (left to right) than the FBs do, but don't get quite as good distance. The higher end plastic is great for them & go max weight. Practice height of throws (it's easier for me to dial distance down w/ height rather than power), angle of release, tumber, t-hawk, and the like. You can get overhand shots to do a ton of cool things w/ practice.

pd

Good info. I plan on practicing a lot. CSU as a huge area of soccer/football/etc. fields and I'm assuming they're about the standard length of a sports field, so I can probably practice on those if it's not to busy.

coldy13 said:
I've always used venoms for tommys and thumbers, tacoed a few d's and finally got an esp that still looks brand new after 2 months use. I throw tommys a bit farther, about 300' with about 30'-40' side to side movement, thumbers go much straighter but only about 250' max. I have a heavy z flick that I use because it doesn't do the full S flight when thrown vertical, just goes straight up and stays vertical for most of the time and fades a bit as it comes down.

Thanks, I definitely plan on trying out a heavy Z Flick, I'll try a Venom too.

Max weight Z Predators go the farthest for me. I max out at ~320 on a good chuck with some room to work. They turn nice and slow.

max weight champ roadrunner goes furthest for me (around 350) :? but my overhand is mutant, i think i put too much spin on em (i only throw tommies) cuz i throw a RR and it turns slower than when my buddies throw theirs with a firebird, If i try to throw overstable for this shot it will just hold its angle to the ground

Sounds like I should probably just get better with one disc like Beato said and then once I'm comfortable I should start trying different discs until I decide on 1 or 2 that I can get to do different things.

Ted Damson said:
haha... Yeah watch out for the overhands. My roommate got a hernia from a thumber... Intestines in his ballsack and everything, had to get them massaged by a doctor.

Lesson: thumber without stretch/prep = dude rubbing your balls, and a couple months without golf

good god don't talk like that..my dick literally hid itself in my stomach at the mere thought. Ewwwwww....

dgdave said:
Venoms are the longest I've ever overhanded. I do have an epic on the way though...

Epics are fun :) I can get a real consistent tommy with them to 350' it falls fast in the direction of a thumber after turning over. With a headwind or throwing a thumber I can consistently get around 400' but I don't know which direction it's gonna fade.

coldy13 said:
dgdave said:
Venoms are the longest I've ever overhanded. I do have an epic on the way though...

Epics are fun :) I can get a real consistent tommy with them to 350' it falls fast in the direction of a thumber after turning over. With a headwind or throwing a thumber I can consistently get around 400' but I don't know which direction it's gonna fade.

I definitely plan on trying an Epic out. Should be fun to throw from what I've read.

Epics on sale here.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=epic&osCsid=ecd399666bd492c4b095a65215ff87ad&x=0&y=0

Thanks, I'll have to pick one up. Then comes the process of learning the damn thing. :lol:

I heard Schwebby say in an interview one time that he uses Leopards for shorter ranged thumbers. The more understable a disc is, the faster it will go through its corkscrew motion. The faster it goes through its corkscrew, the fast it will take a dive at the end of the flight, which means shorter distance.

kaht said:
I heard Schwebby say in an interview one time that he uses Leopards for shorter ranged thumbers. The more understable a disc is, the faster it will go through its corkscrew motion. The faster it goes through its corkscrew, the fast it will take a dive at the end of the flight, which means shorter distance.

Thanks, that's good to know.