• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is BEEF in a lineup really necessary?

The bottom line is that there are certain shots that must be accomplished with a highly overstable disc. You either want to give yourself the ability to execute those shots, or you don't.

Try playing without them. If you find yourself thumbing through your discs and wishing you had a firebird or gator then you should put them in but if you are comfortable throwing that fresh dx roc on a hyzer and you don't overshoot your target, more power to ya

Been using a circle stamp champ eagle for those shots that need to some beefier fade, skip shots, and scoobies

It's pretty windy out here in Iowa, so I'll pull disc up to an SPD or my domey FB when duty calls.
The caliber of courses also affects this, even when I go to Des Moines and play Ewing, Grandview, Walnut Ridge or Big Creek I have yet to find the need for anything really OS.

I do throw overhead and skip shots with a firebird from time to time, but it tends to be a low frequency. I do see the advantage of being able to throw this kind of variety that only OS discs can achieve.

And that's why I'm only ~900 rated. :D
But realistically I am intent on focusing on LHBH 100%. The time it would take to learn LHFH would be much more than the time it would take get better at turnovers and annys.

Hmm I play those same courses and grandview has more than a few shots that I throw VERY os discs.

I think it is necessary to have some stupid ovestable discs. I carry an XXX and a Zone and find them very useful for high altitude anhyzers that pan out really hard and get a ton of lateral movement, very useful for getting out and around objects without having to risk going though any branches.

This. I play in a lot of trees and sometimes wind. The XXX gets me around said trees when nothing else will. Tree in front. Another tree to the right in front. XXX forehand up high goes right hard then left hard for a tight s curve in 200 feet. It sounds rare, but I use that shot in 1/3 of games. I also love it for spike hyzer approaches where I want the disc to stop cold. And skips. And hard turning rollers. It's a utility disc really. Would you ball golf without a sandwedge?

You won't realize how much you need something wicked stable until it's too late. When you're in a tournament and not playing well, throwing something really stable eliminates one possibility: turning over. I find the first couple holes during B and A tiers ill have some slight jitters and it's usually better to go more stable until I find my rhythm...maybe it's just me

If you play disc golf in the midwest, you know how windy it can get.

There are times when you need to be able to throw a power hyzer into a 30mph headwind and know for a fact that it won't flip over. Good luck doing that with your middle-stability bag.

For reference: On these shots I have a Pro Pig, CE Viper, Champion Firebird, Super super super super super overstable S/DS Destroyer. I very rarely throw any of them, but I know that I can trust them in any headwind.

I don't wanna look in my bag and say "Where's the beef?!" Gotta have the beef-a-roni when needed. I use my Zone A LOT and the course i play most can get very windy. Hole 18 kincaid park ak straight uphill into a ~20mph headwind will not be done without some BEEEEEEFCAAAAKE

If it wasn't "necessary" why does every pro carry some meat hooks? Pro men, pro women, masters etc all seem to carry at least one over stable, slow meat hook utility disc. Doss that mean it's "necessary?" Technically I putter isn't necessary...however it sure helps lower your score. Same is the case here.

I like having a low speed disc with fade (was a HPP Wizard, now a Suspect) and then a couple Firebirds. The FB's get thrown on more rollers than air shots, TBH.

All of the discs you're carrying have variants that are pretty darn overstable, so you should be able to cover what you need within the molds you have.

Even if there isn't a lot of wind where you are, the flex lines you can hit with a super overstable disc... I gotta have the beef. I like my predator for overhand shots as well.

I don't think it's necessary to have BEEF at all levels. Like having a Pig, Gator, Viper/Whippet, Firebird, XCal is probably overkill lol.

Gator and Firebird is usually what I run.

I don't think it's necessary to have BEEF at all levels. Like having a Pig, Gator, Viper/Whippet, Firebird, XCal is probably overkill lol.

This is more what I was wondering. I used to carry a Zone, Drone, F1, FAF Firebird and Xcal, and that was definitely overkill.
I took the Zone out a while ago because it never quite clicked and I never had much luck using putters in the wind. Right now I have a FB that can be powered down for shorter doglegs or ripped for straight headwind shots. The S-PD's for me also fight the wind well and I have an OS Pro Wraith that performs well for the longest drives that need to fade.

If you lived in west Texas (like me) this would definitely not be overkill. I carry a Tank, Mortar, Firebird and super beefy Destroyer. 20 mph winds are pretty normal out here.

I can't imagine not having some BEEFy driver in my bag. Strong headwinds, forehands, rollers, skip shots, tomahawks, thumbers, severe hyzers, flex shots...even the BEEFiest Eagles and Teebirds just aren't as controllable or long as a truly overstable disc.

I can see why people use a BEEFy mid and putter, but I'm more comfortable discing up and taking a little off the throw in those cases.

(A little background on my throwing distances first:)
KC Pro Aviar: 250-275
Roc: 275-320
Teebird: 300-350
PD: 325-375
Wraith: 350+

So my question is: Are truly overstable discs necessary to have a well rounded lineup? I feel like I don't need anything more OS than the discs listed above, I just need to throw them with more hyzer on doglegs or headwind shots. If it makes any difference, I throw 100% LHBH off the tee, and have enough US plastic in the bag to hit left turning shots moderately well enough.
Any else have similar experience, or is it more of a personal preference on throwing a certain disc for a certain shot, or having more versatile discs?

Add a Firebird to that lineup and you are pretty much set for 90% of what you will encounter. I avoided carrying something truly OS for a long time, once you do it will be right there with your putter or your Roc as something that will not leave your bag.

Latest posts