• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this how it is -- taunting over found discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This right here was my first thought.
I agree it sucks this happened but...

Why does the OP think something like this can only happen in disc golf? Are you knew to this planet? People are dicks sometimes and that's all this was. For you to come here and wonder/question if all DGers are this way is discriminating.

Being new to things, I didn't know if this was par for the course, so to speak, for the sport. If so, that would quickly move me to other endeavors. But it sounds like this is an isolated incident. I'm sorry if my query was taken as discriminatory. I just wanted to know more about what I'm investing my time and money in after having such a frustrating early experience.

Being new to things, I didn't know if this was par for the course, so to speak, for the sport. If so, that would quickly move me to other endeavors. But it sounds like this is an isolated incident. I'm sorry if my query was taken as discriminatory. I just wanted to know more about what I'm investing my time and money in after having such a frustrating early experience.

Fair enough. :)

Welcome to the sport and please enjoy. It's a blast!

Since we're new to the sport, is this how it is? Sure, I know we're going to lose discs (especially as beginners) and folks are going to find them and not return them. But it's pretty rotten to contact the person if you don't plan to give it back. My son is pretty soured on disc golf right now. Me, too. What are we getting ourselves into?

No, I wouldn't say this is the norm although I had something similar happen to me and I've been playing less than a year (you can find my story in the lost disc mega thread if you care to). Basically I chose to look at it like this: I've been through a divorce, raising teenagers and all manner of life experiences so no matter the circumstance to do with a $15 piece of plastic, it's not going to get my heart rate up. It's just not worth it.

Most lost discs I don't get a call. The few I have let me know there are still good people out there. I always try to reward them and have sometimes given them more than the disc was worth depending on how much trouble they went to. I'm not buying my disc back, I'm repaying kindness for kindness.

To the OP:

I shared this thread with some folks I know who might be able to make your son a happy camper once again. Hope it works out!

I just got a firebird returned to me for the 2nd time in the past year. It was lost at 2 different courses.

I also don't understand why one would waste time getting the police involved. Was this guy a total douche? Of course, no question about it. Is calling the number and returning the disc the right thing to do? Of course. But I have to agree with an earlier post. If you lose a disc on the course, and give up looking for it, aren't you pretty much throwing in the towel in that plastic? I mean if someone comes along behind you and finds it, I wouldn't consider that "stealing." Its not like they have a combination lock on the bushes and are refusing to give out the code, you could've found the disc as easily as they did. Now as I stated previously, the right thing to do is return the disc. However its the "that's mine you stole it" mentality I just can't grasp. If they call you back, kudos to them for doing the right thing. If not, I wouldn't label them D.B. Cooper and call the law.

I also don't understand why one would waste time getting the police involved. Was this guy a total douche? Of course, no question about it. Is calling the number and returning the disc the right thing to do? Of course. But I have to agree with an earlier post. If you lose a disc on the course, and give up looking for it, aren't you pretty much throwing in the towel in that plastic? I mean if someone comes along behind you and finds it, I wouldn't consider that "stealing." Its not like they have a combination lock on the bushes and are refusing to give out the code, you could've found the disc as easily as they did. Now as I stated previously, the right thing to do is return the disc. However its the "that's mine you stole it" mentality I just can't grasp. If they call you back, kudos to them for doing the right thing. If not, I wouldn't label them D.B. Cooper and call the law.

1000X no on the bolded. You can't make the assumption that because the disc was left behind, it was consciously abandoned.

The OP points out that he and his son are highly allergic to weeds and had reactions to whatever they were searching in. Walking away for their health shouldn't mean they've given up the disc entirely. Plus, the ahole who found it doesn't know the circumstances in which it was lost. Could have been a tournament round where 3 minutes expired and they had to move on. Maybe the owner was going to come back at the end of the round (after all, the OP says it was maybe 10 minutes after they left that the text came in).

This whole notion of "you abandoned it, you shouldn't expect to get it back" is the mentality I can't grasp.

Let's not go there with this thread, please.

1000X no on the bolded. You can't make the assumption that because the disc was left behind, it was consciously abandoned.

The OP points out that he and his son are highly allergic to weeds and had reactions to whatever they were searching in. Walking away for their health shouldn't mean they've given up the disc entirely. Plus, the ahole who found it doesn't know the circumstances in which it was lost. Could have been a tournament round where 3 minutes expired and they had to move on. Maybe the owner was going to come back at the end of the round (after all, the OP says it was maybe 10 minutes after they left that the text came in).

This whole notion of "you abandoned it, you shouldn't expect to get it back" is the mentality I can't grasp.

No you're right, the finder isn't always aware of the circumstances. And for the record, I am a firm believer in, if it has a number, call it! But not every one has the same moral compass. And while I agree that you should always do the right thing, I wouldn't label someone a "thief" and take legal action because they chose not to return my $10 disc that I obviously couldn't find. Now if I were to receive taunting messages like the OP, I would probably take matters into my own hands and starting walking back the course and looking for that ahole.

The worst that happens is they take your disc and never contact you. Never heard of anything like that. I've had one disc returned to me out of about ten lost that were marked. Getting one back is kinda rare, I've only found one that could actually be returned, most dont have enough contact info. But I've never had anyone taunt me, or taunted anyone myself. That just a real dick move.

Police report it. At the VERY least make sure this POS knows you have his phone number and are reporting it.

BTW. I lost my first disc today. It's not the $$, it's the principle of the thing. Very frustrating. Mine could not have been 5 yards off the fairway. Looked for an hour. Maddening.

BTW. post this dudes phone number. WE will give him a few thousands texts.

I love this idea, we can just blow his phone up where he has to change his number. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts