• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this how it is -- taunting over found discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lawyer has it and no one can find him. Something about a deal he couldn't refuse...

I was playing tags with a new DG buddy this week. When we came to a hole that is known for eating discs I told him I had lost one there about 2 months ago, no ink. When I described the disc he said he had found it but traded it as it had no number. He was very apologetic and tried to give me a disc to make up for it. He offered at least 10 times. So, for every young man out there who is a piece of dung, there is hopefully a good guy too.

Fathers, teach you sons to be men. The world is hard at work teaching them to be self-centered, self-absorbed, selfish doo doo butts.

OP, you can certainly use this as a teaching moment for your son. "Son, how did it make you feel when someone stole your disc? Would you ever want to make someone else feel this way? Son I love you and want you to grow up to be the best man you can be. We're not going to hate this guy. Instead we're going to feel bad for him because he probably didn't have a father who loved him like I love you".

threevok steps down from soapbox.

If you lose a disc and leave it, its your fault- not theft.

If a guy finds your numbers and keeps texting you, that sounds like harassment.

If you lose a disc on the course, and give up looking for it, aren't you pretty much throwing in the towel in that plastic? I mean if someone comes along behind you and finds it, I wouldn't consider that "stealing."

If you lose a disc and leave it, its your fault- not theft.
This has been discussed ad nauseum, beyond ad nauseum, beyond ad nauseum on here. Pretty much every state in the country has a statute regarding lost, mislaid or abandoned property and I haven't seen a single one yet that makes an automatic decree of finders keepers. If you find a disc with a phone number on it, and make no conscientious effort to call it and see if the original owner wants it back, you are indeed technically committing theft. Contacting the owner is the only way that you can determine if the disc was indeed abandoned.

I'd say 7/10 discs that I've lost have had my number on them, and almos each one has been found and they asked if they could get it back to me. I usually just let them keep it. Just knowin that someone had the respect to at least try is enough and they deserve it IMO. Unless It was one I was really attached to (still waitin for a call on my flat top kc roc :( ). However I did leave a ghost stamped cryztal buzzz in a basket once with my name and number and that was certainly found and never got a call. So there are a-holes out there

You have their number. Time to make a bunch of too-good-to-true ads on craigslist using that number. Make sure to say in the ad that you work nights and can only take calls between midnight and 8am.

Contacting the owner is the only way that you can determine if the disc was indeed abandoned.

Agreed. One without a number is hard to determine, but with all the FB groups and whatnot, you should know within a couple weeks if the owner is still looking for it. My friend found a disc with faded ink on it, a nice disc. I ended up getting it off him in a trade and had it for at LEAST a year.

About a month ago there was a post on FB about lost discs at that course where my friend found it. Sure enough, the disc I had fit the description. I met with the guy to return it and he gave me a brand new disc. Honesty is usually rewarded. I wouldn't have been mad had he not offered me a disc, because this 40+ year old man looked like a kid on Christmas morning when I handed it to him.

some people are just *******s, karma will handle it.

Many friends of mine no longer put a # on it, just name and pdga. If you have a pdga # it means your part of the league scene and someone will get it back to ya.

i found a disc with a name and pdga number on it. looked everywhere; searched the guy on the pdga site and found his name, location (near me), everything. asked people at courses, even asked someone on here if he was the same guy (username matched the name in the pdga lookup).

wound up trading it in like a month later. :(

on-topic, though, yeah. "grade A" d-bag. even worse is the fact that i've taken to writing expressly on the bottom of my discs that i WILL pay to get the disc back since i dye my discs. has not increased my returns . . .

Agreed. One without a number is hard to determine, but with all the FB groups and whatnot, you should know within a couple weeks if the owner is still looking for it.
This is assumptive that everyone in the world is on Facebook and would look for those groups. If you don't put a phone number, e-mail or some other contact info on your discs, you take an additional risk of not having them returned.

some people are just *******s, karma will handle it.
I had two discs returned last month, both from out of state. Karma had absolutely nothing to do with it. Without my phone number on the discs, the finders would have had no means to call me. Without two honest parties who felt that doing the right thing was more valuable than keeping someone else's lost plastic, I would have never been called.

Righteous deeds just don't happen in a vacuum.

My 10-year-old son lost a disc at a course in Oak Creek, Wis., tonight. Horrible throw right into a vast wooded area with dense vegetation. We're both new to disc golf -- just got discs last week. We searched for a long while before finally giving up hope (and needing some Calamine lotion for our itchy ankles -- we made sure nothing was poison ivy, but we both have allergies to weeds!) We had our cell phone number on the disc and hoped that perhaps someone might be kind enough to call if they found it.

About 10 minutes later, I got a text message. It's a photo of the disc and a message: "Finder's Keepers" and a smiley face. My son was really excited someone found it while we were still at the course. However, in the proceeding exchange of texts, it quickly became apparent that the person really did mean "finder's keepers." Long and short of the story: He was just taunting us with the photo. His final text to me was: "If you want ethics or respect, play golf. Welcome to the club."

Since we're new to the sport, is this how it is? Sure, I know we're going to lose discs (especially as beginners) and folks are going to find them and not return them. But it's pretty rotten to contact the person if you don't plan to give it back. My son is pretty soured on disc golf right now. Me, too. What are we getting ourselves into?

I would be calling that number late at night. Signing up for all sorts of marketing calls etc. Nonstop

This is assumptive that everyone in the world is on Facebook and would look for those groups.

You're right. MOST people (about 75%) use Facebook nowadays. But you're right about the groups. I just started joining them within the last 5-6 months. But by not taking the time to look for a group and joining it, you take an additional risk of not having discs returned.

yeah I can't believe there are people out there like that. luckily I haven't encountered any of them. I have found 4 discs with numbers and one without and all made it back to the owner. I have lost 2 and got called on both. maybe it's different for other parts of the country too, but I'm sure there are douches here as well. I have had many positive experiences with disc golf so far. To the OP, don't let this ruin disc golf for you. In general I think we are a very kind and generous bunch.

Other side of the coin- my 6 yr old found a nice, new Surge yesterday. He insisted it was his, but I called the number and spoke to the owner who said he was 25 minutes away but coming to get it if I was still going to be there. We kept playing and the owner showed up. He offered my son a few bucks, which I told him was not necessary. The owner was very thankful, and clearly happy to have the disc returned. My 6 yr old was crushed, but it was a lesson I felt he must learn. A disc costs between $10 and $20, but the cost of being a good person and doing the right thing is both free and priceless. I've never kept a disc if I could find the owner- wouldn't even dream of it. That someone would go out of their way to brag about finding your disc and his plans to keep it are unimaginable to me. I can honestly say this is a sport where that kind of thing is not accepted and not tolerated. Whatever club that douchebag was in, I'm not a part of.

I found a disc once and I contacted the owner. He said he wanted it back, so I got his address and sent it to him in a padded mailer. No response. I text him and ask if he got it. He said got what I don't recognize this number. I said the disc. He said he got it. Thanks.

Thats the end of the story. This guy is sponsored but I will not say who it was. I would have thought covering shipping to be appropriate. Guess I should have asked specifically for compensation.

Houston has/had an infamous d-bag that calls & taunts people. I haven't heard about him doing it for a while now. Traced his phone number but it was a pre-paid cell so no joy there. Man I was looking forward to going and saying "hello" to him.

By now you know that this is a Rogue player. Most are not like this. Buy bright orange, Red, or hot pink discs. Much easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts