• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kure Beach, NC

Any updates? I went too walk it today and the course was closed and taped off. I am stoked about this course...the tomahawk and flick may be key.

i asked Dave and Otter via PM.

Otter said:
going out there this weekend going to take pic and put them up. let you know whats up after that

I'll post anything I find out.

Otter says that the course should be playable next weekend. They've got the collars for the baskets and all the concrete poured, they've just got to put the baskets in. He said that this week they've got some earth moving machinery in there so the park is closed. Apparently, the tees Innova are pushing now are these kind of polygonal stone things that are supposed to drain really well.

Just like Brother said. Talked to spider-man everything is ready, should be able to play this coming up weekend. the par out there is 61, forgot to ask how long it ended up being. I should be out there the first day its up and I'll be taking pic so I can put them up here.

Get a pic of the tees if they have them in, they sound interesting.

Word on the street is that Kure Beach should be good to play very soon. I also heard that Arrowhead Park has already been approved and even designed and they are now just bidding on the construction. So it sounds like Arrowhead will be rolling shortly. Lastly, I heard that there is a large park going up in Brunswick County. Something like a 70-90 acre park. The rumor is this park does not want facilities like baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts, etc. but wants to keep it pretty natural and this is where a disc golf course could come in and apparently there is talk about getting a disc golf course here as well. Not sure if this is all true as it was just hearsay, but either way it's exciting.

Word on the street is that Kure Beach should be good to play very soon. I also heard that Arrowhead Park has already been approved and even designed and they are now just bidding on the construction. So it sounds like Arrowhead will be rolling shortly. Lastly, I heard that there is a large park going up in Brunswick County. Something like a 70-90 acre park. The rumor is this park does not want facilities like baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts, etc. but wants to keep it pretty natural and this is where a disc golf course could come in and apparently there is talk about getting a disc golf course here as well. Not sure if this is all true as it was just hearsay, but either way it's exciting.

Oh that's right, I've heard about that potential Brunswick park also, just like you say. That would be beyond rad. If all those courses they put in are pretty topnotch like the Castle is, Wilmington might become a contender for hosting Worlds one day. ;)

So can I go play Kure Beach this weekend?!

Yep, this Saturday is the grand opening. Everything should be in now, they were waiting to put the baskets in until they finished with the heavy machinery and I think they should be good by Friday at least.

Perfect for a nice cool down round on Sunday after a nice round of Saturday dubs!

My sources tell me it will be officially open at 3:30 today, Friday.

KB Open

Right you are Junkie. I recieved a text from Spiderman yesterday stating that the course will be open at 3:30 today. I am planning on heading down there tomorrow around 10:30 to check it out. Big thanks out to Spiderman and company as I know it will be awsome evn without seeing it yet. I'll post an update after I play.

It is OFFICALLY open. I played it today and it sure is hard. A little unconventional and awkward. You will need to learn a number of new shots. It also helps to walk each hole prior to first throw or you may find yourself going in the wrong direction. The vegatation is a beast to say the very least. We had at least three discs we had ot VIOLANTLY shake from the trees. One was just gone. I can't wait to play it again. Im only a beginner, but this course humbled me.

DIRECTIONS
Once you come over snows cut bridge on carolina beach road, make a right on to Dow and follow that all the way around until it turns into K Ave. Look on your left and you will see Joe Eakes Park and make a right on 7th and park!!!

When is this course going to be posted? I want to see some pictures as well.. WOW, I bet it was great out there today.

The excitement for a new course in the Wilmington area became very palpable today when I arrived at the new Kure Beach course and found the parking lot full of disc golf enthusiasts. This was the first time I had played the course in weeks and the first time since it became officially open. With that being said, boy was I impressed with the new improvements and the final layout of the course. I found the atmosphere of the beach trees and sand to be a welcomed change to the sometimes daunting challenge of Castle Haynes pine trees. Beach atmosphere aside the course itself proved to be very challenging with the final layout giving no real advantage to either flick or backhand throwers (having an overhead shot could play key in many rounds). I absolutely love the baskets, greens, and teepads that were used and have very much respect for all of the work that went into the groundskeeping. All in all if you have not gotten the chance to see southeastern North Carolinas newest course I highly recommend doing so. I also hope this ignites a spark to see more courses come to fruition in Wilmington in the near future.

Played the course twice today.
General impressions are positive.
Tough but fair on most holes.
Some baskets were protected by seemingly random trees. Most lanes were visible but some lanes seemed blocked by somewhat random trees. If you can't go over the trees, you're screwed.
Didn't like the Mando along the road on tee 14(?). Simple OB would have been a more logical choice, but I'm not sure if it's final.
Did like the Mando on Hole 10, entirely appropriate.
There is no numbering of tees or baskets, so navigation can be difficult.
A lot of use was made of limited space, so the tees and baskets are very close on several holes; close enough that some screening/guarding was put up on some tees and baskets for protection.
As noted above, signage is not up, so distances and directions are not always clear. Not a complaint, I know that it will take time to get all the tee signs sponsored and printed.
It looked like the course navigation had changed recently because of some conflicting signs about which holes were across the dirt road.
Anyways, maybe something at the tee (like a hole number and footage, even handwritten) to let you know what hole you're on would've helped. Par on each hole was written by someone.
Lots of neighborhood locals and Kure Beach residents at the park. Crowded, but with families and couples; which is very good.
I'm looking forward playing it again.

Course is fun. I love the changes they made with hole 4/5. If you havent played it yet they have not had a chance to put up tee signs. The posts are there but the paint was still wet. Hole 4 is a little tough to find. From hole 3's basket go to your left and hole 4's tee pad is across the dirt road. The tee-pads are very unique. They are made of a plastic/rubbery material that has hexagonal cutouts filled with dirt, well beach sand. Tee pads and baskets are beautiful. They are surrounded by white rocks with dark mulch inside the rocks. Benches are great, tee-pads are great, baskets are great. Get out and play the new Kure Beach course when you get a chance.

We take the ferry over from Southport once or twice a year, so this looks like a logical stop on our way from the Aquarium to Front Street. With a few months left to work on tee signs, signs, maps, etc., sounds like it will be about perfect.

How about some photos???

Grodney these are actually from another thread but here is a pic of hole 1 and the unique teepads that Kure Beach is using. The tee-pads look slippery, but they are actually surprisingly grippy. I only slipped once and it was due to beach sand being higher than the hexagonal cut-outs.

Attachments

• teepad2.jpg
    teepad2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 21
  • teepad1.jpg
    teepad1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts