• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Cannon Review Thread

I really like these discs not sure my distance will improve because of them but I am getting more distance with less effort which is letting me throw these more consistently.

Cheers - Koffee

This is ultimately what I am looking for. I am of the belief that age is just a number, that I am 35 and with cleaner form I drive better than what I was able to do four years ago. However, four years ago I was able to top over 400 more regularly than I can now. What I am looking for now is maintain that 400ish with less effort and then can occassionally pop off a huge drive because I have not worn myself out.

Received my Cannon tester package today, thanks again Lion! I have not been able to throw them yet but I will this weekend along with some other DGCR members. I just wanted to chime in on my first impressions of the disc/plastic.

I received Yellow, Blue and Purple. All are Icon plastic. The Blue looks awesome andd is definitely a natural beauty. The yellow and purple are just standard colors with no swirls. Grips great, just as good as Star/ESP/Gold Line. These feel great in my grip, deep inner rim which I like. Definitely not like a Latina or King but very similar to first run ESP Nukes.

174 Yellow - Definitely has a lot more flex than the other two, basically like gummy star. Not domey but not really flat. Has a higher shoulder then flattens at the center of the plate. Has the highest PLH of the three. My favorite feeling and profile of the three Cannons.

174 Blue - Pretty much the same as the yellow profile wise, just has a tick lower PLH than the yellow. Looks like GL Plastic.

175 Purple - DOMEY! By far domier than the other two very poppy too, looks like a different disc. Also has a lower PLH than the other two by a good margin.

Overall I think these feel and look great. The grip is similar to the Rampage. I prefer the profile and feel of the yellow and blue over the purple. I'll report back with the important stuff (disc flight) once I can.give them some air time this weekend.

ok, cool. Glad to here you got them, so far I have two comfirms that their package arrived. Enjoy guys.

I have mailed another package out today, so as soon as I receive the last two shipping payments, all 9 packages will be out.

I will also try to get some profile pics up when possible.

Also, I was auto corrected by my phone when talking about the grip when I said it was not shallow like a Latina (was supposed to say Katana lol)

DYAC!

i got my purple Cannon out yesterday...it has a large dome and wow does it get some glide from it ...for me it is something i can throw where the rampage is not ...i was in a cross/headwind and in a open field...i really like the way it flies ...i can turn it over and it has a slight fade back left at the end...the farthest i think it went for me was 375...but also im throwing other discs at the same time with only one throw with the cannon ...so its hard to get a groove going ...i have to throw it low otherwise it will want to float up and stall...but boy it looks like it is moving when i throw it at a good low angle..and i like that...im going to take it with me to the course if i can get out this weekend...

Finally got to do a little bit of work with mine today.

Lime- Love the color of my Lime's. They really pop out at you and I love Lime throwers because they're so easy to watch and find. Also these are pretty beefy compared to my blue. One is noticeably more beefy than the other, but still pretty close.

Blue- Love the look of the plastic in the blue. The Lime has the GLish swirls like my blue, but it's not nearly as noticeable as it is. It's pretty. I have actually been getting more D out of the blue more naturally, because it flips for me easier.

As for throwing. I did about an hour comparing them with my Katanas. I have 3 thrower katanas I keep in my bag, 2 Pro World Lemon Lake's(1 stable 1 understable) and one really pop top CFR that is a little less predictable than the others but has extra glide because of the dome.

First impression: They're much beefier than my katanas. I definitely wasn't throwing with 100% power today after taking a few days off, but they definitely faded much earlier than my katanas. The blue one was almost as flippy as my more stable katanas and would hold an anny line for a little while, but the fade at the end was strong.

Distance: Because of the beefiness, I really had to flex them or get a good strong drive to keep them from fading out too early. The Katana's and Cannon's kept pretty close to eachother in amount of driving battle's won. My Katana's are so much easier to flip and get a natural S curve, while the Cannon I had to put some effort in for it to S. I know I wasn't maxing out my D today, so I'm going to go out and do more field work tomorrow and maybe give an update.

One thing I will say, is that while it didn't definitively beat out my Katana for main D, I have been looking for a disc that is slightly more stable than a katana for the headwind. Sometimes I can get a good S out of my Katana's in the headwind, but I have a feeling my Cannon will be my new Headwind D driver and possibly when I start turning it more it'll be better.

Testing in mild wind 7 - 9 mph

Field Work throwing into the head wind (15 throws per color) (I had to share the field with weekend warriors playing football so I could not throw all out.)

Red/Blue - They handled very well in this wind range. I was able to easily manage S shots around 360 and have the disc come back nicely near the end of the flight.

Red/Blue - I was able make Low line shots 6 - 8 feet off the ground into the wind at a target 360 feet away. I was able to do this with a very mild hyver added.

Purple - Spike hyzers were no problem into the wind. I also was able to throw it flat and play the nice fade to the target. I will test this again and write it up once I get a chance to play in some bigger winds.

Annies

Red/Blue - Big sweeping annies at the 360 target was semi successful I buried a couple of them with too much angle. This is probably operator head space and timing as I do not throw that shot often. However when I hit the annie line correctly they were really fun to watch.

Red/Blue - Low ceiling slow anniies worked like a charm at the 350 target. This disc really handles this shot nicely. Which is good for me as I have been throwing FH less and my distance has shortened up quite a bit.

Purple - I did not throw these lines with this disc. In my opinion there are better choices then this color for those shots At least untill it gets beaten in a bunch. In its current condition it would not be very consistent for my style of play.

Cheers - Koffee

I typed up a long review last night and then when I hit "submit" I was redirected and nothing posted. I think this was due to the server change. I will have to try to knock this out tonight.

This disc goes far! Tailwind with a blue one and I ended up hitting my own car almost 480 feet away. I'll put out a more detailed review once I test a little more, but my initial impression is that the blue is the most understable, red is slightly less stable than a katana and the purple is most controllable. They flip and fade back much more consistently than nukes or katanas, so its going to give much more predictable max distance. Waiting for a day when its above 40 to try crushing them again.

I got the 'tester pack' from lion. Thanks again! Below are my initial impressions from my first test run. I put at least 10 pulls on each of the 3 discs. The day was calm with little to no wind and about 65-70 degrees...gotta love the AZ winters!

I like the feel of the Icon plastic. It seems pretty comparable to counterparts from other brands. The blue looks the best (blue with blue stamp) and has a swirly/shifty nature to the look of the plastic. This is similar to Lat64 GL. The red was pretty standard with a red/copperish stamp and the yellow was clean and unstamped. I did see one lime color from gcr and that is sweet. Normally I am not a green fan, but this disc POPS. My discs were all labeled at 173 or 174. One thing that I am not sure if I like or dislike is the feel on the top of the flight plate where the plate meets the rim. The disc almost feels as if there is a bevel or indented circle around the entire disc in this spot. This was standard on all the discs that I held.

The yellow was the most flexible of the 3 discs. This one seems to be the most stable to me. It would still flip or turn for me with fade at the end of the flight, but not like the others. I liked this thing for sweeping hyzers.

The blue seemed to be the most versatile for me. It would flip or hold a line if I powered down a bit.

The red disc was the flippy one of the bunch. I had to release this thing with some hyzer to get a solid flight out of it. This disc was great for high anhyzers.

The distance was pretty comparable to my Nukes. I was throwing them together and getting my Nukes about 15 feet further but needed a little more room to work the Nuke. Throws were over 400 but not really exceeding 435.

I put a couple forehand tosses in the bunch just for giggles. I am not FH dominant, but this disc did OK for me. Since I have less power FH, the discs did not flip and held a straighter line with more fade. I jsut don't have the same FH D or power.

One thing I noticed was the ability of this disc (probably not color specific) was the ability to hold max D on a low line. I often play open courses and lower lines are not super important, but I tried a few of these shots with these discs and I got just as much D on a 8-10 foot high shot.

The durability of the plastic rivals the Lat64 stuff. I skipped one off the road and threw into a tree from point blank range to test this out. This was with the same disc, but it remained in great shape. I would be willing to bet that nobody could tell which disc hit the tree or the road.

Overall impressions...the disc is good but not bagged yet. I will do more work with it in the future and it could become a staple for me.

Thanks again lion!

Last edited:
I got the 'tester pack' from lion. Thanks again! Below are my initial impressions from my first test run. I put at least 10 pulls on each of the 3 discs. The day was calm with little to no wind and about 65-70 degrees...gotta love the AZ winters!

I like the feel of the Icon plastic. It seems pretty comparable to counterparts from other brands. The blue looks the best (blue with blue stamp) and has a swirly/shifty nature to the look of the plastic. This is similar to Lat64 GL. The red was pretty standard with a red/copperish stamp and the yellow was clean and unstamped. I did see one lime color from gcr and that is sweet. Normally I am not a green fan, but this disc POPS. My discs were all labeled at 173 or 174. One thing that I am not sure if I like or dislike is the feel on the top of the flight plate where the plate meets the rim. The disc almost feels as if there is a bevel or indented circle around the entire disc in this spot. This was standard on all the discs that I held.

The yellow was the most flexible of the 3 discs. This one seems to be the most stable to me. It would still flip or turn for me with fade at the end of the flight, but not like the others. I liked this thing for sweeping hyzers.

The blue seemed to be the most versatile for me. It would flip or hold a line if I powered down a bit.

The red disc was the flippy one of the bunch. I had to release this thing with some hyzer to get a solid flight out of it. This disc was great for high anhyzers.

The distance was pretty comparable to my Nukes. I was throwing them together and getting my Nukes about 15 feet further but needed a little more room to work the Nuke. Throws were over 400 but not really exceeding 435.

I put a couple forehand tosses in the bunch just for giggles. I am not FH dominant, but this disc did OK for me. Since I have less power FH, the discs did not flip and held a straighter line with more fade. I jsut don't have the same FH D or power.

One thing I noticed was the ability of this disc (probably not color specific) was the ability to hold max D on a low line. I often play open courses and lower lines are not super important, but I tried a few of these shots with these discs and I got just as much D on a 8-10 foot high shot.

The durability of the plastic rivals the Lat64 stuff. I skipped one off the road and threw into a tree from point blank range to test this out. This was with the same disc, but it remained in great shape. I would be willing to bet that nobody could tell which disc hit the tree or the road.

Overall impressions...the disc is good but not bagged yet. I will do more work with it in the future and it could become a staple for me.

Thanks again lion!

This cat can crush and is a great player. His review is def worth a look. Good playin with ya bob.

This cat can crush and is a great player. His review is def worth a look. Good playin with ya bob.

Were you in Marana this weekend? Should've gotten a DGCR picture. I was the Open player throwing from a standstill who tied with Pete Ulibarri.

I've only gotten 10ish throws in with the Cannons so far and am waiting to comment more on them until I toss them more. They seem slightly more stable than I expected and had a similar flight path to my Worn Rampage. I was comfortably in the 410-440 range while still getting warmed up and expect them to sit anywhere from 10-20 further than my forces and Katanas.

thanks for the ego boost. :D I had a good time playing with you as well. too bad you had to watch my wheels fall off at the last 6 holes of each round. I am sure we will catch another one. congrats on the good finish with the solid last round.

i am looking forward to reading gcr's review as he can flat throw. I also wanna work more with mine and see what i missed or wrongly assumed the first time through.

Thanks again Lion for the 8 disc Cannon set.
1 question I have is has anyone used the purple cannon extensively yet?
I noticed that it is way domier than the rest ans was wondering if it was more or less stable than the rest?:confused:

I haven't thrown the purple cannon, but it does look domier than the others. Right now I'm loving the red cannon as its slightly flippy for me. I use the red cannon for all of my low ceiling drives. I just started throwing the lime green cannon today. The lime color realy stands out! I used the lime cannon on all my drives this morning and I find it slightly stable. I can put some snap on it and watch it fly straight with only a little fade at the end. I had 4 basket hits today but they didnt stick, I think the baskets get a little stingy when its below freezing out.

i threw each one of my cannons today (red,yellow, purple) about five times, ima throw them more tomorrow. but my first impression is that the red one turns easier than the other colors, i wouldnt consider it flippy but its easier for me to throw hyzer flips, the purple and yellow were pretty stable, like lil more overstable brand new z nuke. i felt like they were sensitive to the nose angle you throw em on, if they finish nose up the still go pretty far and when you get the nose down they glide forever esp, the purple pop top one. ill have more reviews tomorrow

yea its really in its own category i cant really compair it to any other disc, i still gotta test it out a lil more tho

Latest posts