• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Cannon Review Thread

I found a Tim Selinske Masters Championship Cannon this weekend. Was not expecting much from it given the speed, weight and my poor distance. I was shocked at how easy this thing it to throw. I have very little experience with drivers at that speed, but it may be something I hold on to for a bit.

Can someone run through the cannons by stability, plastic and color? Looking for something that will stay stable longer then an aqua pinnacle.

cannons are like a beat up boss. more high speed turn when new but similar fade that goes away as it seasons.

RE: stable/OS cannons you really just need to check PLHs.

My 172g Icon Cannon out of the box has more hs turn than my beat up Blizzard Bosses. I do seem to get a little more distance out the Cannon, but less predictable.

yeah the rampage is much more boss-like but also has its flippy to OS variations :|

then you get a cannon that flies like a rampage and just :wall:

My 172g Icon Cannon out of the box has more hs turn than my beat up Blizzard Bosses. I do seem to get a little more distance out the Cannon, but less predictable.

I bought a 168gm Icon Cannon to try and for my Dad to use while he visits. It was about as predictable as a narcoleptic tree sloth for both of us. I was really bummed.

I've nenver had that issue with a cannon J, but on the other hand I agree with AIM too. I've thrown variances of them being more OS than a rampage, it was a peach if I remember correctly. .

I've only had 2 or 3 cannons. But none I would say were flippy tree sloths ;) they definitely had turn, but always S'd out. It's been a while since I've thrown any...

I have a Blue Icon Cannon (175) that is more OS than my Red Icon Rampage (174), while my White Icon (167) and Turquoise Pinnacle (168) Cannons are way more US, like you'd expect, neither of them is a flip-a-saurus. Now, the Purple Icon (167) I had, that one was squirrely, it had way more dome than any of the other Cannons I have, though if the throw came off solid, it probably outdistanced the other low weight Icons as well.

Maybe the plastic has its effect too, the Blue Icon is more rigid sorta Icon, while the Red Icon on the Rampage is much more flexible, I refer to as gummy-plastic, it's that sort of soft.

Last edited:
I havn't tried the icon cannons yet, been married to the pinnacles thinking they will last... If I could find an icon cannon that was like the icon plastic on the FR outlaw and production run outlaws that would be money...none of the cannons I've had were flippy until I beat them up, but they beat up quicker then my liking.... Other then that the cannon is hands down the furthest flying disc

Yup, I have had Cannons and Rampages in Pinnacle and they are wildly inconsistent, have had some ridiculously flippy Rampages, as well as some Cannons that were beefier than the Rampages. Equally as wonky as my Prodigy collection, where I have a D2 that flies more overstable than some of my D1s.

I havn't tried the icon cannons yet, been married to the pinnacles thinking they will last... If I could find an icon cannon that was like the icon plastic on the FR outlaw and production run outlaws that would be money...

The aforementioned Blue Icon Cannon I have is pretty much the same feel and rigidity as my FR Purple Outlaw, while my SR Orange Outlaw's plastic is similarly gummy like the Red Icon Rampage. Haven't tried Production Run Outlaws, been meaning/thinking about grabbing one, but have read/heard they fly very close to FR Outlaws.

but they beat up quicker then my liking

Quit hitting so many trees :p !

There have been Legend Cannons floating around before, right? Just noticed sexy gold L-Cannons in stock on DGBM, might be an early Christmas present :p . Are they similarly more OS than standard Icon/Pinnacle Cannons? Description on DGBM mentions the discs having a nice pop to them, so domey, more glide but possibly flippier?

^Yes Legends have been floating around for at least a year now. I would not assume the dome makes them more understable - I have a weird feeling that means "more overstable than a Rampage" for whatever reason.

I've had blue, red, and purple first run Icons, a few Sparkles, a stack of aqua Pinnacle, and a couple of Legends. For me, from most overstable to must understable: silver Sparkle, gold Sparkle, slime Legend, blue FR, silver Legend, purple FR, red FR, aqua Pinnacle.

NECROOOO:cool:

Just searched the Legacy thread and all Cannon threads, hasn't been much talk of the mold in a while. Who still throws these? How are the 5year Pinnacles treating you? How are the translucent, non-5years flying? I still throw my 167 aqua Pinnacles for maxD and have a 175 silver Legend in the bag to bridge the gap between the aquas and a beat Xcal. I've been debating buying one of these new guys but my wallet is questioning the thought since I already own more than enough Cannons for a lifetime...

I found Cannons to be too nose angle sensitive for me. I get a more consistent result from Outlaws. Lots of people on the FB pages seem to throw the Skyline Cannons for max D. The Aftermath seems to be kicking those out for some people.

Re-necro...

I bought some 5years (limited run fifth anniversary) and Howitzers (new non-5year stamp also with translucent Pinnacle) and have thrown both a fair amount by now.

5years are BEEEEEF. Like, X X 0 4 or +1/4 or 0/5...even with 450' of power I can easily **** up a drive with them. Overhand, skippy longer Firebird shots, FH rollers, thumber skips, grenades, those type of shots are getting a ton of love. Still can't confidently BH distance drive them without some solid headwind or a serious flex - just too overstable. I will say I've noticed some of the overstability lessening with age but mere mortals should probably never purchase one unless they want a speed 14 Stego. NOTHING close to the -3/3 flight a Cannon is described as.

Howitzers are somewhat of a middleman. Absolutely not -3/3 but also not the monster that is the 5year. More 0/3 -1/3 or so? BH flex shots or torquey FHs may love these, I find it as a perfect addition to my lineup. SuperOS 5year, Howitzer, Legend, lighter weight (167-168) production run opaque Aqua Pinnacle. Easy to cover everything beyond "control driver" shots...even use the more beat Aqua for low ceiling/low line fairway and control driver shots as well. BH distance rollers too. Teebird distance with no height to work with or confident run up? Yes please.

Legend Cannons tend to be flat (other runs often vary) and sit between opaque Pinnacle and the Howitzer translucent as far as stability goes. Start with a nice little bit of beef compared to the -3/3 turn and fade numbers a Cannon represents but with even a bit of wear they fly reliable and true. Maybe -2/3? I also recently acquired a few slime green Grinder Legends that are stupidly pop topped...among the domiest discs I've ever owned. They're back in that 0/3 -1/3 range that I labeled my Howitzer stamps with. Great for field practice repetitions but they won't see a bag of mine until my Howies are all lost.

Am I still the only person on DGCR throwing Cannons?

Re-necro...

Am I still the only person on DGCR throwing Cannons?

Maybe. I like the Cannon, but I feel like the Katana does all the same stuff better. You get the speed, glide, turn and decent fade. I've had far better luck with Katanas than Cannons. The last couple Cannons I've tossed have been somewhat flat, glideless, and overstable.

Maybe. I like the Cannon, but I feel like the Katana does all the same stuff better. You get the speed, glide, turn and decent fade. I've had far better luck with Katanas than Cannons. The last couple Cannons I've tossed have been somewhat flat, glideless, and overstable.

Funny, I get nothing out of the Katana. Either sweeping understable mold hyzer or no-fade hyzerflip (at longer distances). Probably only thrown the mold itself 30-40 times ever, across a few different Champs and Pros. Maybe a Star too?

What do they do for you that Cannons do/can not? I know [trust?] you can actually throw over 400' so I'm curious about your thoughts. I'm, dare I say financially committed to the Cannon, but I'd love to hear your perspective!

Latest posts