• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legality of sanding discs???

Mspot

Par Member
Here is the rule:
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

I like my putters to have some texture on the bottom of the flight plate so that it adds some grip/friction with my fingertips. What are peoples thoughts on the legality of sanding the disc with a rough sand paper so that is isn't so slick/smooth?

By the letter of the rule, sanding to rough up an otherwise slick/smooth surface is a no-no. It's not a scrape or molding imperfection (such as flashing), so there isn't much support that sanding it is necessary.

That said, F.Luke is right. If it's subtle and you don't make a big deal about it, the chances anyone will notice are nearly zero. And the chances that someone would notice and turn you in for an "illegal" disc are far less than that. Do what you feel you need to...it's only your conscience that you'd have to deal with.

You could add stuff to you hands to get a better grip instead. Yeah you might need to wipe your disc a little more often so the build up of the additive doesn't add weight or thickness to the disc, but you would have better grip. This could even be a glove that you use just for putting as well.

It's against the rules... and I'll call you on it.

You want to improve your grip? Check out the Sexiest Women thread and go to town.
Sure, you'll burn in hell, but you'll be legal for sanctioned events.

It's against the rules... and I'll call you on it.

You want to improve your grip? Check out the Sexiest Women thread and go to town.
Sure, you'll burn in hell, but you'll be legal for sanctioned events.

If it's against the rules, why did Innova release a version of the Aviar with a "focus spot". It was essentially an embossed texture on a normal Aviar to enhance the grip. They didn't get a new mold approved or anything. If that disc is legal, then this whole argument is BS.

If it's against the rules, why did Innova release a version of the Aviar with a "focus spot". It was essentially an embossed texture on a normal Aviar to enhance the grip. They didn't get a new mold approved or anything. If that disc is legal, then this whole argument is BS.

The issue with sanding is that it is a post-production modification, not that it improves one's grip. If Innova (or any company) tooled a "focus spot" into the mold, that would be part of production of the disc and perfectly legal. It also wouldn't require special (re-)approval of the mold since it would not not change the dimensions of the disc at all.

The issue with sanding is that it is a post-production modification, not that it improves one's grip. If Innova (or any company) tooled a "focus spot" into the mold, that would be part of production of the disc and perfectly legal. It also wouldn't require special (re-)approval of the mold since it would not not change the dimensions of the disc at all.

Sure, but isn't the end result the same?

Are you doing the deed before, during, or after production of the disc? The act matters more than the end result.

Wait...
I'm a little slow here.
By 'doing the deed', are we talking about illegally modifying a disc by sanding it, or the implied behavior while checking out the Sexiest Women thread? :p

Are you doing the deed before, during, or after production of the disc? The act matters more than the end result.

I'm not pro modding of discs.

I just thought it was dumb that a manufacturer can do something like that sans re-approval. A change to the disc is a change to the disc.

Wait...
I'm a little slow here.
By 'doing the deed', are we talking about illegally modifying a disc by sanding it, or the implied behavior while checking out the Sexiest Women thread? :p

Yes! :D

I just thought it was dumb that a manufacturer can do something like that sans re-approval. A change to the disc is a change to the disc.

I agree with you. I just think for every person that won't "abuse" the rule, there's one that'll take it "too far".

And you're worried about some scuffing of a flightplate. Let's talk about Innova not (re)certifying the 3 molds. They're entirely brand new discs.

Last edited:

The key thing is that the rules prohibit post-production mods. They don't apply to the manufacturer since anything the manufacturer does is not post-production, it's during production.

Grip isn't something that is legislated by the PDGA. It's really irrelevant to the discussion. Doesn't matter that the end result is the same, it's the act and when it occurs that is in question. Adding a focus spot is perfectly legal for a manufacturer. A player sanding a focus spot into a disc after they've purchased it is not.

Got any courses with gravel around the baskets in your area? If so you could always go and "practice" your gravel approach landings...

..."Oh darn. There are a bunch of nicks on the bottom of my putter. I'd better sand those smooth."

Last edited:

Texture isn't one of the factors the Technical Standards Committee evaluates. Thumbtrac and Groove Tracks when added, required re-approval. Thickness and shape of the flightplate is something the committee measures.

Almost positive those are not legal. The surge with the grip spot was specifically not approved.

Latest posts