• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

I've been throwing the crap out of my Axis for a couple of weeks now and it's taken some really hard tree hits. I'm noticing a touch of high speed turn, especially into a headwind. It's very manageable, and enough so that I can make it hold the slightest right turn I've ever seen from a flat and hard throw.

The difference between the Axis and discs like the Buzzz, Mako, Core is that it has a bead...You don't really feel in your grip as it's not a rounded protrusion as much as just and extension of the bottom of the disc, but part of it hits the air at a 90 degree angle. This slows the turn when the disc does turn and helps stabilize it on whatever line it's on. It makes the disc less speed sensitive as well.

See, not this might be what sets it ahead of the Core for me. Once turned, the Core seemed to want to turn too hard rather than give me a sweeping left to right (RHBH) line. Just so happens I ordered a new Core to go head to head with the Axis, and I have an ESP Buzzz sitting already that I have been trying out. I know I like the Core best between these but I'm going to put them all against each other for that neutral slot in the bag.

What I am wondering now that you have got a little HS turn and are using these more, how much use is your Fuse getting? With something like this, would it maybe be better complimented with something more like a Stingray than a Fuse? (although, better or worse, I doubt I could give up my GL Fuse)

Today has been a good day. I get home to a package in my driveway and two envelopes in my mailbox. I got my new Patagonia Tsali's which fit like a dream, I got two more Archons in the mail and to top it all off...

I got my 180 Red Axis. Only threw it once but it definitely had that low glide everybody has been raving about.

I have taken my axises out twice now and i think they are in the bag for good they do everything my buzzz did but feels like less effort for me. Like everyone else is saying point and shoot type disc from hyzers to straight to anny's now if only my form and all that was even the slightest bit colser to perfect I would love them even more. I have some OAT/ wrist roll/ something that comes out a couple times a round so i have turned my axis over but im 99.999% its user error not the disc

You don't really feel in your grip as it's not a rounded protrusion as much as just and extension of the bottom of the disc, but part of it hits the air at a 90 degree angle.
No, it doesn't. The airflow follows the shape of the wing, including the bead, it doesn't hit it head on. It does however affect in what direction the wind is deflected and what sort of turbulence is created under the wing.

BTW, totally vertical wings have funny flight characteristics. I once threw the cover of a bulk DVD-R case, which is basically a DVD sized top and a vertical "wing" 3" tall. It flew totally neutral even on full rips, got maybe 30 yards out of the thing. Funny how different objects fly. =)

Last edited:
Jubuttib is right. Even with clean form, a mako will turnover given enough power. The axis resists any high speed turn from a flat release.

i throw makos and i know very well how they fly, yea you can turn them over when you really power down on them and throw it flat. i actually use that in situations on the course so i can get a straight flight that starts to fade right. that's why when i want long straight mako flights i just add a bit of hyzer and bam you got one of the straightest flights out of any disc on the market with zero fade.

i just see a lot of people complaining about how sensitive the mako is and that it turns over to easy while at the same time saying how great comets are because they point out the OAT in your throw. i'm no genius on discs but it seems like there is some bias there.

DGC shipped mine monday....still have not received them....i'm gonna die soon if i dont get them soon

I payed a little more for shipping and went MST on Tuesday and have mine today. :thmbup:

Its funny cause it doesn't feel that heavy for being ~10g heavier than I normally use. Can't wait to go throw it, but I have to. :doh:

Attachments

• Axis.jpg
    Axis.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 32
Its funny cause it doesn't feel that heavy for being ~10g heavier than I normally use.

I can feel the full weight of it. I carry a heavy (178) and a light (168) buzzz and my axis feels just as heavy, if not heavier than my heavy buzzz.

Got mine today and gave it a quick test flight...a 178.

It feels a bit like a Roc in the hand, but with a slight slant to the rim. It also felt a bit heavy and seemes to take a bit more snap to get it going...(someone else mentioned that a few posts ago)

...but it holds that line forever...also, it didn't seem to loose that much speed, coming in on the fast side. Could be the gyro affect of the overmold, but it spins and comes in strong. It doesn't seem any faster on the release, it just doesn't loose speed as much.

It definately fits the role of neutral, like a just-seasoned Roc. A touch less stable than a Z Buzzz, but not understable by any means. It reminded me alot of the Core with regards to stability...right in the middle. It only turned over when I got sloppy on release. It's a balance of old school controllabilty with new school speed.

My testing grounds weren't the best for a full evaluation (and neither were my clunky steel toe work shoes), but a dozen throws or so at about 80% in the 250 to 300 range depending on wind trying some different lines told me that I think this deserves a serious workout on the course.

I got my 2 Axes in the mail today. I went and played 2 rounds with just the Axis and (my also new) 2 Ions. Round one of 9 I shot near my average of -3, and round 2 with a little practice I shot a -7. The Ion I will write about in the MVP thread. The Axis flew wonderfully for me after that first round. For me it seemed slightly more stable than My Buzzzes. I am a huge Buzzz fan, and feel like they may compliment the Buzzz (although with plenty of overlap) as opposed to compete with them exclusively. My discs are perhaps more beat than I give them credit which may account for the Stability increase. The Axis did something admirably that I didn't quite expect. It doesn't deviate from it's line as much as I would expect, and never considered flipping on my 340' shots, and instead flew true. It hyzered out a little more easily than I expected inside of 300' but as I worked it I learned to keep it straighter through the flight. When I would throw it with Anny it would hold it's line gently throughout the first 95% of it flight before fading slightly near the end.

One question for you previous MVP throwers. Does anyone play regularly on rocky courses like I do? I was concerned that the outer rim would get beaten too quickly, after 2 rounds of 9 there is already some noticeable scrapeage on the outer rim. I don't feel like it will negatively effect the flight, but am concerned that they may become uncomfortable after a while...

I can feel the full weight of it. I carry a heavy (178) and a light (168) buzzz and my axis feels just as heavy, if not heavier than my heavy buzzz.

Yeah, I haven't held it next to anything to compare. Just got my pack and off to housework. I just expected it to feel heavier to me being used to discs so much lighter. The real trick will be to see how I throw it. Seems I can get anything from 150-172 to fly about the same but above that 172, things go wrong.

One question for you previous MVP throwers. Does anyone play regularly on rocky courses like I do? I was concerned that the outer rim would get beaten too quickly, after 2 rounds of 9 there is already some noticeable scrapeage on the outer rim. I don't feel like it will negatively effect the flight, but am concerned that they may become uncomfortable after a while...

A lot of the courses around here are hilly and rocky so I know my Ions have seen some stones on touchdown. They have nary a scratch if I remember. I think the worse damage to any of them is a cut from hitting a sharp metal edge of my practice basket but I don't even feel it.

LOOK...ALL I GOTTA SAY IS THAT THIS DISC IS DEAD STRAIGHT WITH NO FADE...LONGER THAN BUZZ SS; NO FADE; LOOKS COOL; GETS YOU GIRLS; ETC....

Got my 178 green axis 2 days ago. Took it out for a handful of throws yesterday in a football field, and out for a full round today. I'm very impressed with this disc so far, it really has lived up to all the hype in this thread and from the early testers. I agree with what discspeed said about this being of the best discs he's ever thrown, and it's definitely the best mid-range I've ever had my hands on. I've kept a beat dx roc for hyzer flips and shots I need to finish right and been using a cryztal z buzzz for straight duties.

It has many of the best qualities of a buzzzes and rocs, but as has been said, can be ranged down very effectively and gives almost the same flight pattern at 200' as it does at 300'. The long throws I had with it were in the 300-325' range, and it holds anny's very nicely as it does longer slow sweeping hyzers. It truly is a dead straight stable disc that just holds the line forever, and the amount of glide and float it has surprised me. A near ace on a 350' downhill shot with just a half step into the throw, came in chain high and about 2' left.

I did have a few odd releases with it, which was my fault, but you can really see any error in your release. It will hold that line and show you what you did wrong. I can't wait to get some more throws in with this disc, I think it's going to become a workhorse for sure. The buzzz and roc might be coming out of the bag for good.

I think its a different disc than the buzzz...the buzzz won't be replaced. But this disc will fill the void of a dead straight midrange without the gentle fade of a buzzz. Like, no shiiittt, this disc doesnt fade...

Latest posts