• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Inertia Distance Driver

attachment.php

Every new PDGA member gets an official disc as part of their signup pack, and the MVP Disc Sports Inertia has been selected for this exclusive honor in the 2015 season. We pride ourselves on being part of disc golf's newer generation, and it's great to partner with such a cornerstone of disc golf's history.

The PDGA Membership Neutron Inertia has a high-polish black core with a bright white GYRO™ rim and white PDGA / MVP Orbit logo stamp. There's only one way to get it, and that's to sign up for the PDGA (yourself or an honorary/gift membership) during the 2015 calendar year, as supplies last. This item is not available to dealers.

tiiiiiiiiight.

Pretty neat. I will be grabbing this when I see one on the auction block. I think this was an excellent strategy to get more eyes on the Gyro'ness. Nice work, MVP!

Why do PDGA discs always have to be black?? Other than that this is great. My Inertia has lately been making me wonder why I carry any other drivers at all. Nice to get something I actually want out of the deal.

Got a nice package from Community Discs this evening – two 162 Neutron Inertias and a 163 Clash. Forecast for the next two days is – solid rain.:doh: Probably will be Friday before I get a chance to see how they fly.

I have the week off between Xmas and New Year, and the weather looks to be nice. Can't wait.:)

My year old neutron inertia finally started getting a little to flippy so I added a new proton inertia for the first time. Man this thing bombs!

Got a nice package from Community Discs this evening – two 162 Neutron Inertias...

Orbit stamp, by chance? I recently got a 168g orbit stamped N Inertia to back up my older 168g N pair, but was a bit disappointed to get it and see that it had close to 1mm higher PLH (I immediately checked after picking it up, didn't feel quite like an Inertia), a touch less dome and smaller shoulder, and flies with more HSS and LSS than my older ones. Of course they have some wear on them, which would account for some of the difference. But the new one is definitely a bit flatter with higher PLH, and I don't remember the others flying like this when new. Curious to hear if they're all coming out like that now or if I got a freak. Either way hopefully I can thrash it into a more suitable noodle arm Inertia.

Orbit stamp, by chance? I recently got a 168g orbit stamped N Inertia to back up my older 168g N pair, but was a bit disappointed to get it and see that it had close to 1mm higher PLH . . . Curious to hear if they're all coming out like that now or if I got a freak.

Mine had the regular stamp. I did not see any Orbit stamps in light weights. This is my first Inertia so I do not have any others to compare PLH. Guess I'll find out in a few days when I get a chance to chuck it.

Did I mention that I'm looking forward to throwing this disc?:D

I notice a little difference between my 167g and 171g neutrons. My blue sparkle proton @ 171g sits in the middle of the two neutrons.

It seems the neon colors grip better for me. The 167g is neon yellow and I have a hot pink Volt. They feel more tacky. Not sure if its in my head or the dye pigments make a difference. The 171g N Inertia is deep red and it feels slicker to grip. Wondering if anyone else has noticed any differences like this.

Why do PDGA discs always have to be black?? Other than that this is great. My Inertia has lately been making me wonder why I carry any other drivers at all. Nice to get something I actually want out of the deal.

Ditto, the Inertia has been awesome for my game and bag simplification.

Rain held off at lunchtime so I tested a brand new pair of 162 Neutron Inertias. I sprained my ankle a couple of days ago (fortunately not my pivot foot) so these were not full-power throws. I tossed a 166 Tournament Hatchet alongside the Inertias for comparison.

Initial impression: I like the Inertia. A lot.

I found the Inertia to be very neutral at my distance. A flat throw yielded a tight S-curve – a little turn, a little fade, finishing pretty straight. With a little hyzer the Inertia would flip to flat and ride a straight line before fading gently. With a little anny the Inertia held the turn before flattening out at the end. Inertia easily has more stability than the Hatchet, so the two should pair nicely.

With my gimpy ankle it was difficult to judge distance potential. Compared with the Hatchet, the Inertia typically flew 20-30 feet further. Compared with the Tern, the Inertia can be thrown on a higher line without hyzering out early. With practice, I expect that the Inertia will outdistance the Tern for me.

I did not bring a putter with me. After a good drive on a rarely-deuced hole, I putted with the Inertia and banged a 35-footer.:) The Inertia is likely to retain its 100% record of putting success for the duration of its career.

I hope to do much more extensive testing this weekend.

Did I mention that I like this disc? :D

Initial impression: I like the Inertia. A lot.
:hfive:
Did I mention that I like this disc? :D
:hfive:

Beat inertias make nice rollers too such a versatile disc. Agreed it's super long flying. Glad to see you are enjoying it initially. Look forward to your full review.

Played 36 holes at Patapsco Valley, a long mostly wooded course with plenty of opportunity to air out your discs. I threw the Inertia on every hole to learn how it flies.

The course was crowded and I was playing solo, so several groups kindly let me play through. The Inertia's beautiful straight-down-the-fairway flight elicited quite a few favorable comments.

General impression: At my distance, the Inertia flies like a faster S-FD. Both discs do a remarkable job of holding the line that you throw them on before finishing with a mild fade. The Inertia is faster than the FD, so it needs less height to do its thing. This makes the Inertia and S-FD a wonderful pairing. From what I have read about the Crave, it should pair similarly with the Inertia.

On a couple of downhill throws the Inertia held the line for 2/3 of its flight and then kicked into a late turn. I will be interested to see whether I can replicate this late turn consistently.

The Inertia opens up some flight paths that I did not have before. Patapsco #2B short is an uphill low-ceiling tunnel with the basket set on the right side of the fairway. I have never been able to get within putting range because of the low ceiling, but I got close today by throwing the Inertia on a low anny.

Another Inertia flight path came in handy on Patapsco #1C. The elevated basket is set on a wooded slope behind a baseball backstop. With no room to run up I was able to throw a ~300' line drive approach that cleared the backstop before fading and skipping under the basket. I do not think I could have executed this shot with the Tern or a fairway driver.

I have not yet tried the Inertia on high anny lines, but I hope to squeeze out a little extra distance by manipulating height and angles. I may also try a heavier Inertia, perhaps in Proton, to see whether changing weight affects the flight.

tl:dr summary: Inertia is a winner. Buy three! ;)

The Proton Intertias are a touch more stable than Neutron. A heavy P should give you those slightly different flight paths.

And yes, the Inertia is the real deal. Buy as many as you can. :p

Thanks, BigSky. I may order a mid-160s Proton Inertia to see how wind resistance and stability varies with plastic and weight.

I discovered the hard way that 162 Neutron Inertias do not like 10-15 mph headwinds, even compared with a 161 G* Tern. Once the Inertia started to turn, it went a long way in the wrong direction. I was surprised – I normally do not have trouble throwing distance drivers into such light headwinds.

I had some nice drives with the Inertia today, so I will continue to work with it.

my max weight fresh protons pair nice with the go-to seasoned neutrons. I just have learned to "protect" my fresh inertia as a few good power hits into something and they can get a bit turn happy like you mention into the headwind. Its really strange how weight impacts a less HSS disc too like the inertia which at max vs 150 class fly very different while a tesla doesn't as much at all.

You might like a heavier proton one tho for sure I find 2 inertias pair up well in the bag from new to beat.

How about light Inertias? Looking to add a 155 for the flippy spot, and am wondering if I should go P or N. Any major difference from those who have thrown both at the low weight range?

IMO one is clear and the other is solid looking :D:p Sometimes I feel like proton has better glide tho. could be crazy and don't mess with 150's much just had a pair and they did nothing special my heavier ones couldn't more reliably.

Latest posts