• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEED NEW DESTINATIONS FOR ROADTRIP!!

Miamisms

Eagle Member
K. So I've been to the mecca that is western MI and done Idlewild. Where should be next on the map. My group likes well manicured courses, challenging, with variety in openness and technical shots, not crazy far from the Midwest, but may consider.

SHOOT - with explanations please :popcorn:

If you're looking for something fairly close to Bloomington, head to Louisville. Play Charlie Vettiner, Severin Lang, and Coyote Trace.

Pittsburgh, play the Worlds courses before Worlds, they should be in stellar shape and are sweet courses! Pittsburgh is also not very far from Whipping Post/Woodshed, Orange Crush/Seth Burton, and the Black Course which are awesome destinations on their own.

WTF. JUST RESEARCHED. ARE THESE COURSES FOR REAL? Someone expand of their thoughts of these?

They call it Disc Golf Mecca for a reason...

Its pretty phenomenal. Its a gigantic property, so how well maintained the courses are is very hit or miss (cuz that's a crazy amount of mowing to do during the summer). There are several different accommodation options on site that are all reasonably priced. Its in the middle of nowhere. The courses are great. Don't know what else to tell you, its a stop every serious disc golfer needs to make happen at least once in their life.

They call it Disc Golf Mecca for a reason...

Its pretty phenomenal. Its a gigantic property, so how well maintained the courses are is very hit or miss (cuz that's a crazy amount of mowing to do during the summer). There are several different accommodation options on site that are all reasonably priced. Its in the middle of nowhere. The courses are great. Don't know what else to tell you, its a stop every serious disc golfer needs to make happen at least once in their life.

More satisfying then Goliath/beauty/beast in MI?

Iowa, my friend, Iowa.

^
This

Quad Cities has many fun, challenging courses, West Lake, Camden II, Middle, Devil's Glen, Eastern, Prospect, Camden I.

Corridor area (Iowa City, Cedar Rapids): Wildcat Bluff (best in the state), Penninsula, Turkey Creek, Sugarbottom, Legion, Shaver

Des Moines: Walnut, Big Creek, Ewing, Pickard, Grandview

All these courses are worth a round!

Considering your near Indianapolis, I'd recommend Pittsburgh, just over a 5 hour drive. It's the next closest DG mecca IMO. Playing just after the Worlds is your best bet, the courses will be in great condition and the out of town participants will be gone.

More satisfying then Goliath/beauty/beast in MI?

Yes. I've played both, and I dream of going back to Highbridge almost daily.

If you don't mind the drive, there's also a ton of great courses to hit along the way. Brown Deer/Dretzka/Silver Creek/Rollin' Ridge/Standing Rocks/Big Eau Plaine/Sandy Point, and that's just the highlights. Many other courses along the path.

St. Louis has a bunch of above average courses throughout the area. Good eats and breweries through the city. And then you can always experience what playing in a cave is like at Crystal City Underground near Festus, MO (about half hour south of St. Louis). It not as challenging per say, but it is a once in a lifetime experience (and that's the drive in).

The Wisconsin and Iowa suggestions are solid too. Minneapolis area has a great variety of challenges but a little getting far from you on that one. The Duluth, MN/Superior, WI area in on my short list of next adventures.

Latest posts