• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nikko Joins Team MVP

Meh. I have a cult of personality and am a rec level player.

smiley-laughing021.gif
smiley-laughing001.gif

Nikko is just doing Nikko. At the end of the day, it's him who has to live with his choices. Dude obviously lives disc golf, and that's what matters to him.

Most people are taking issue with the fact that, in the course of six months, Nikko went from being a free thinking, mad genius, to a complete idiot in the eyes of the gyromaniacs. He is no different today than he was six months ago, or six years ago. The very same person with the very same assets and the very same flaws.

And since you brought it up, he has been using discs from non-sponsors where MVP had comparable molds available. For example, he could have mixed an Axis into his bag, but he chose to go with a Claymore instead. One can understand him throwing Innova because he used many of their molds for years, but why in the world would he be using a Claymore over an Axis?

For the rational, the answer to that question is painfully obvious.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nikko saw the upward trajectory of the Trilogy brands and is trying to work his way into that mode of sponsorship.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Nikko saw the upward trajectory of the Trilogy brands and is trying to work his way into that mode of sponsorship.

He may have that mindset, but based on a conversation I had with one of their players, Nikko would be the antithesis of what they look for in players.

It was an Envy; general rule of thumb, black ring = MVP, white can be both companies, and anything else is an Axiom product. Plus, I throw Envys and think they're the business, so I was really excited to see someone throwing them in a tourney :D

I think they made a limited run of Neutron envy with black rims. At least the tester in town has a couple, anyway.

He may have that mindset, but based on a conversation I had with one of their players, Nikko would be the antithesis of what they look for in players.

Perhaps, but Feldberg doesn't have the best rep on the planet and he is one of their top pros.

Either way, this is all just entertaining speculation. Nikko could throw a paper plate from Target better than 95% of us, so whatever he uses is probably all about comfort.

Perhaps, but Feldberg doesn't have the best rep on the planet and he is one of their top pros.

Either way, this is all just entertaining speculation. Nikko could throw a paper plate from Target better than 95% of us, so whatever he uses is probably all about comfort.

Actually, Dave fits their 'mold' to a tee.

He is intelligent, well-spoken, has a long track record of promoting the sport, designs courses, and he helps get courses installed. Most importantly, he works well with sponsors. All you have to do is watch one of his ITBs. He throws every mold his sponsor makes, and they all rule. :doh:

Nikko has basically gone deuce on every sponsor he's ever had. If Lat64 or DD wanted him, they would have snatched him up in the off season. He had little going on and settled on some triple sponsorship that he has basically dumped all over with the exception of using a Wizard on half his shots. If I were Legacy, I would be just as pissed as MVP. He's throwing Teebirds and Destroyers over Rivals and Outlaws. It seems like he throws the odd Legacy disc just because the Rico's are playing the same event.

I think that's actually what he's trying to do. He's throwing a fair bit of clearly identifiable trilogy and rocking the Lat 64 luxery bag instead of his flylife hippie sack. I don't think it'll work, but that does seem to be what he's going for.

Its funny that the first time he seems to show any effort at all in promoting a brand this year is a brand that doesn't sponsor him :doh:

I've personally been expecting him to go the Trilogy route as the sponsorship fits his style. I've experienced all sides of Nikko in person and he is a genuinely nice guy that's a little hard on himself sometimes. His behavior has improved a lot over the years. I do feel that he could sharpen his business acumen though. I personally know a lot of locals that would like to buy FlyLife gear (especially dri-fits) but his website doesn't work and we haven't found anywhere to purchase it.

I've personally been expecting him to go the Trilogy route as the sponsorship fits his style. I've experienced all sides of Nikko in person and he is a genuinely nice guy that's a little hard on himself sometimes. His behavior has improved a lot over the years. I do feel that he could sharpen his business acumen though. I personally know a lot of locals that would like to buy FlyLife gear (especially dri-fits) but his website doesn't work and we haven't found anywhere to purchase it.

I've thought he has had some great stamp art, too, and tried to find where I could get some. He certainly doesn't make it easy.

Uli is a great guy. One of the most respected guys on tour!

As for Nikko priming up for a Trilogy sponsorship...I highly doubt that is his motive behind throwing what he's throwing/carrying.

Latest posts