• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] P McB Proto- THE KONG...er, um...THE ZEUS!

Got suckered into trying one of these out. Compared it to my old ESP force and Big Z crank.

It's basically a less deep feeling force, definitely sits well in the hand for BH and FH shots. It flies like a beat in force too, it's got a bit more turn out of the box, but still fights back quite stable. To be fair I don't have a big arm. 350-375' ft max distance.

Not sure if it's just me, the newer ESP plastic is stiffer and more durable, but doesn't quite have the glide of the older stuff. I could see this Disc beating in real nice though for big distance.

Got suckered into trying one of these out. Compared it to my old ESP force and Big Z crank.

It's basically a less deep feeling force, definitely sits well in the hand for BH and FH shots. It flies like a beat in force too, it's got a bit more turn out of the box, but still fights back quite stable. To be fair I don't have a big arm. 350-375' ft max distance.

Not sure if it's just me, the newer ESP plastic is stiffer and more durable, but doesn't quite have the glide of the older stuff. I could see this Disc beating in real nice though for big distance.
Can confirm. I just threw the Kong for the first time today and, at my meager 350' of power, it flipped up to flat from a shallow hyzer, rode straight and faded. Went as far on that line as a full hyzerflip shot with my usual Surge. I really hate that I like this disc. Especially with the new ESP Surges coming.

I also have to agree that, once beat in, these things will bomb. Seriously contemplating a switch and I hate myself for it.

A bit flippy in a headwind

I bag C-line and S-line PD2s, Star Destroyers and an ESP Force as my goto stable to overstable distance drivers. I picked up a couple of Kongs last week when they were released. They flew very true to angle in light wind/tailwind situations but easily flipped over in a good headwind. I threw one of my Kongs, as well as both my S-line and C-line PD2s on three straight holes with about a 20MPH headwind. While the PD2s thrown on a hyzer flipped up a bit they always faded back left(RHBH). The Kong on all three holes turned into a throwler.

I bag C-line and S-line PD2s, Star Destroyers and an ESP Force as my goto stable to overstable distance drivers. I picked up a couple of Kongs last week when they were released. They flew very true to angle in light wind/tailwind situations but easily flipped over in a good headwind. I threw one of my Kongs, as well as both my S-line and C-line PD2s on three straight holes with about a 20MPH headwind. While the PD2s thrown on a hyzer flipped up a bit they always faded back left(RHBH). The Kong on all three holes turned into a throwler.

I'm not really surprised to hear this. I don't think the Kong was engineered to bust through 20 MPH headwinds. Most distance drivers won't. You'd need something pretty damn overstable to hang tough in that much wind.

Fair to say that it could be described as a Force SS?

Too similar to a Force to be an SS variant. The domey one I have is definitely true to a 1.9 stability rating, it's very similar to a Z Force.

The DGA Hurricane would be more of a Force SS.

Sidenote - the new ESP Surges are making me question my choice of hurricanes for this season. I don't think I'll be able to help myself, and will end up buying a few to try out. Still have a nice little stack of surges in the stash they would go well with...

Too similar to a Force to be an SS variant. The domey one I have is definitely true to a 1.9 stability rating, it's very similar to a Z Force.

The DGA Hurricane would be more of a Force SS.

Sidenote - the new ESP Surges are making me question my choice of hurricanes for this season. I don't think I'll be able to help myself, and will end up buying a few to try out. Still have a nice little stack of surges in the stash they would go well with...

Surges used to be really popular. I'm surprised they aren't anymore. I still bag one. Great driver. I always liked the Surge more than the Wraith. Little mellower and not as dumpy a late fade.

Kong sounds like a good bomber.

Kong is a really tempting disc to put in my bag... and that's saying a lot (see signature for bag)

I've only got a handful of throws in with it but they went surprisingly far. The first day I tried a friends in a field it went about 30-40 feet past my destroyer. It just had less fade at the end and penetrated forward. I was throwing about 8-10 feet uphill and it flipped to flat and just rode mostly straight for about 400 feet.

Obviously I was impressed by the flight, but more than that was the feel of this disc. The plastic is amazing. It's shiny and smooth, but the grip feels really nice. Interested to see how it breaks in. I hate to say this but Star has nothing on this swirly ESP plastic. It also has a low rim profile and felt even better in my hand than my favorite destroyers.

I've got a few coming from yesterday's infinite restock, so I'll do some real field testing against the destroyers I bag (full spectrum of stability) and see where they lie. For reference I'm hitting about 425 feet max on golf lines (with Destroyers).

Snagged 3 more Kongs today (I swear I don't have a problem) and I think ome of them a grey/ blue swirl might be an ESP\ Ti blend. I know I saw some buzzzes like thst online and one in the store today that I couldn't afford in addition to the Kongs. Anyone know if this is A.) A real thing? B.) Of any value over retail?

If you make a claim like that, I'm gonna want some pics of this potential hybrid plastic!

Snagged 3 more Kongs today (I swear I don't have a problem) and I think ome of them a grey/ blue swirl might be an ESP\ Ti blend. I know I saw some buzzzes like thst online and one in the store today that I couldn't afford in addition to the Kongs. Anyone know if this is A.) A real thing? B.) Of any value over retail?

I think I have one in the blue grey silver color way you describe. It is flat.
These hybrids are shared in the Kong FB group. There are several different colors said to be z and ti blends. I'm sure someone would pay more for one.

The one I got is really pretty. The plastic looks and feels really nice. However, I was kind of unimpressed with it. They had a nice full flight, good stability, but were consistently shorter than my D2's. This thing was flexing out to where my D2 was flying on hyzer. I will play around with it a bit more, but I think my bin of D2's can breathe easily for now.

The one I got is really pretty. The plastic looks and feels really nice. However, I was kind of unimpressed with it. They had a nice full flight, good stability, but were consistently shorter than my D2's. This thing was flexing out to where my D2 was flying on hyzer. I will play around with it a bit more, but I think my bin of D2's can breathe easily for now.

I do agree they're shorter than my D2s as well. But respond better on days Im not throwing as well.

The D2 is a 13 speed isn't it?