• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth Bought a McLaren

I haven't read that in this thread. Paul put this on social media and people talk about Paul. That's all this is.

It seems some on here believe if you play disc golf there's no way you can know anything about money. LULZ

1mil for 4 years and spend one of those years on a single car is not smart money management.

Yeah honestly $250k isn't that much money nowadays, especially for an athlete that will have no great career options after he is done playing. Maybe he just doesn't plan on having kids or something. Childless people have a lot more flexibility in wasting their money.

Didn't Paul buy some land from his father-in-law? With the McLaren purchase it seems like he is going to blow through his money as fast as he gets it.

None of my business though.

Think about what you just said though. He purchased all that land from his father-in-law. I'm sure he got a good deal and the money stays in the family. Land is about the safest investment you can make. Not to mention, if his father in law has that much land, he probably married into some decent coin.

I don't know. "sign a million dollar contract to play disc golf" seems like sound advice to me.

The upside of a car like that is it generally holds its value. Two year old versions with 5-10k on them list for ~170 range.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2018-McLaren-570S-Spider-RWD-t76290

Not a money maker for sure, but taken care of it's not a loser either.

There is no upside. Just rationalization for owning a money pit.

Taking care of these cars is super expensive, you usually can't go Autozone and get knockoff brakes for them. I recall one of the super premium Mercedes (on Jay Leno's garage iirc, not a dealership standard model) that went for $500k (?), had $20k brake rotors after not so many miles. Another recent supercar, the tuneups and oil changes were crazy involved (taking off panels) and cost $5,000 done by the dealership.

Buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, even if it's off 100% because magic, you lose what, 25K? Some better SUV, maybe $40-50k. Even if he got a top end Tesla for $100k, would have been cheaper on the long haul than this.

A lot of athletes, especially NFL, go bust within 5 years retiring because of stuff in this direction. Dude signed a million dollar contract, not $25M.

There is no upside. Just rationalization for owning a money pit.

Taking care of these cars is super expensive, you usually can't go Autozone and get knockoff brakes for them. I recall one of the super premium Mercedes (on Jay Leno's garage iirc, not a dealership standard model) that went for $500k (?), had $20k brake rotors after not so many miles. Another recent supercar, the tuneups and oil changes were crazy involved (taking off panels) and cost $5,000 done by the dealership.

Buy a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry, even if it's off 100% because magic, you lose what, 25K? Some better SUV, maybe $40-50k. Even if he got a top end Tesla for $100k, would have been cheaper on the long haul than this.

A lot of athletes, especially NFL, go bust within 5 years retiring because of stuff in this direction. Dude signed a million dollar contract, not $25M

Exactly and they made much more than anyone can claim McBeth is making. Maybe there's an inheritance involved or help else where.

It doesn't take a genius.

Yeah honestly $250k isn't that much money nowadays, especially for an athlete that will have no great career options after he is done playing. Maybe he just doesn't plan on having kids or something. Childless people have a lot more flexibility in wasting their money.

Based on his trajectory, I think McBeth will remain very relevant in disc golf even after his peak playing years.

Do some of you really give a shixt what he spends his money on and whether it's "good for the sport"?

I never really understood the appeal of cars like that anyways......any place I drive even my truck will go well beyond the speed limit. So......what's the point? Maybe that's just me.....

I like to take my toys to places where the only speed limits are the abilities of the car and myself. :)

I like to take my toys to places where the only speed limits are the abilities of the car and myself. :)

I understand that appeal. But. How often are you gonna take this toy out and do that? Enough to justify the $$? I just don't get it. And where I live.....the only places anywhere near me like that are dirt tracks. I don't reckon that's a dirt car haha.

But hey. To each their own!

I understand that appeal. But. How often are you gonna take this toy out and do that? Enough to justify the $$? I just don't get it. And where I live.....the only places anywhere near me like that are dirt tracks. I don't reckon that's a dirt car haha.

But hey. To each their own!

Before Covid, I participated in motorsports events 2-3 weekends a month from March to November for the last 15'ish years.

...and then do mountain trips on many of my off weekends and during the off-season.

I'm not a supercar guy at all, but I've instructed at schools and driven some high end cars and every time I drive one, I reconvince myself that the experience is worth every penny. Just driving one around the block is like getting a birdie on a hole for the first time after a lot of tries.

Full disclosure: When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was, "What is a McLaren?"

Ha ha. When I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking DeLorean.

160772-27767-73-pristine.jpg

I'm not much into supercars.

But, time travel is cool.

I'm enjoying the apparent assumptions being made in this thread:

- McBeth does not have the finances to properly support such a purchase.
- McBeth actually purchased the McClaren.
- I am assuming the above assumptions are being made.

:p

I'm enjoying the apparent assumptions being made in this thread:

- McBeth does not have the finances to properly support such a purchase.
- McBeth actually purchased the McClaren.
- I am assuming the above assumptions are being made.

:p

You must not have clicked on the "article". Ultiworld had McBeth confirm he purchased the car.

Let the guy have a little fun.
As soon as Hannah starts ploppin' out babies, he will have to get the emasculating mini van, strap on the baby bjorn and throw the puke blanky over his shoulder.
He should try and enjoy being a sports car drivin manly man for as long as he can.

Why do people think this thread will influence, or is an attempt to influence McBeth to do anything?

He can have fun, his car and anything else he wants, no one is trying to deny that and if anyone did or does they're dumb because McBeth won't do anything because of what's posted in this thread.

Did that really have to be said?

Nice car, dumb purchase. :)