• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland, OR Road Trip 9/10-9/17

What time are you coming through Chico? I can probably meet you for a round (and a pint at Sierra Nevada's pub of course).

And if I were you, I would play Lava Creek in Paradise instead of Anderson.

What time are you coming through Chico? I can probably meet you for a round (and a pint at Sierra Nevada's pub of course).

I will be leaving Reno somewhere between 8-9am Saturday, so I'll probably get to the course between 11 and 12. Sierra Nevada is my plan for lunch. Planning on staying in Weed that night, so Anderson is on the way.

too late with two cents :)

Sorry to chime in late but here goes.....

First - you are going to have the best time EVER I predict. I am a fan of staying where it is working for me so I guess I would vote for less courses and more rounds at the great ones. I only know the Roseburg and north of it OR courses on your trip. Of those I would concentrate on the GREAT experience at Whistler's Bend (do the Yurt...), I love Adair, Willamette (Corvallis is a cool college town - Evergreen Indian...Allan Bros. Coffee), Dexter is fun. In Portland - Hornings - yeah! Pier Park - cool! Milo - very fine! Not a fan of Bryant in Albany and if you are staying the night in that area you might want to drive the extra 10 minutes to Corvallis - a cooler town indeed.... (but I see that day is a BIG travel day so....it is all good). Watch your speed on those OR roads - the troopers will GET you!

I don't suppose that you can get an extra day in there and head up into Southern WA after Portland? I had such a fine time at the Inn of the Lucky Mud in Skamakawa, WA (probably not a reproducible experience and you would want to spend the night at the Inn... here is a link to the Adventure Course piece that visit inspired - http://www.pdga.com/destination-disc-golf ) that it was worth the drive. You could play Trojan Park in Rainier, WA also.

I was thinking of trying to get up to Lucky Mud, but it wasn't going to work out time wise. I know you've played more than 7 courses, Cliff. You really need to work on that list. What didn't you like about Bryant?

Seriously how can you not like Bryant? One of the most underrated courses on the west coast IMO.

Bryant - the park in Albany down near the river? Might have improved since I played it last year (difficult to navigate newer holes - flattish park kind of felt a bit like a bowl). Hey - the disc golf clubs around there are great and they have two super courses there north and south of Corvallis - I guess that I might like Bryant more if Adair (big fan of Adair) was not 10 minutes away, if the newer holes were more navigable, or if they had tee signs. Hey - something as simple as a course map posted online can help out a visitor! 3.71 (DGCR for Bryant) seems a bit too generous - but I can see how the length and the riverside location would appeal.

Of course - Rainier is in OR! Just seems like WA because it is so far north of Vancouver.......WA. :) And yes - I need to vacation more and play more and fill in that gap between San Francisco and Roseburg! Temple of Doom - let us know the highlights in those southern OR and Nor Cal courses when you get back.

I stick by my prediction - Temple of Doom is going to have a great DG vacation.

Interesting posts, I enjoyed reading them all. I also thank "thrownow" for his tip of Watch your speed on those OR roads - the troopers will GET you! I've been known to have a leadfoot from time to time and this tip will prepare me of future travels through the beautiful state of Oregon.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the DGC at Cave Junction, where they have the treehouses/ treemotels. I realize it's only a 9 hole course but it's on the way to Cresent City and down to the Redwood Curtain country I love so dearly. Any thoughts?? Aprox. how long (driving time, miles)is it from Crater Lake to Whistler's Bend DGC in Glide? How long would it take me to go from Glide to Portland? Cause I'll be so close to Horning's Hideout that I'll want to drive on instead of stopping if the weather co operates.

I might go make a trip up there to see what's up with the course in Cave Junction. Maby I'll find time to do it before you make your trip through this way.

Trip Itinerary 9/9 - 9/18/11
9/9 – Mammoth to Reno (170 miles)
• Stay in Reno
9/10 – Reno to Redding (246 miles)
• Peregrine Point – Chico, CA
• Black Butte Lake DGC – Orland, CA
• Anderson River Park – Anderson, CA
• Stay in Redding
9/11 – Redding to Grants Pass (297 miles)
• University of OB – Weed, CA
• Crater Lake National Park
• Stay in Grants Pass
9/12 – Grants Pass to Eugene (184 miles)
• Lake Selmac – Selma, OR
• Whistler's Bend – Roseburg, OR
• North Regional Park – Cottage Grove, OR
• Stay in Eugene
9/13 – Eugene to Portland (160 miles)
• Dexter Park DGC – Dexter, OR
• Willamette Park – Corvallis, OR
• Adair Park – Adair Village, OR
• Stay in Portland
9/14 – Portland
• Horning's Hideout – Canyon Course
• Horning's Hideout – Highland Course
• Horning's Hideout – Meadow Ridge
• Stay in Portland
9/15 – Portland to Albany (105 miles)
• Pier Park – Portland, OR
• Timber Park – Estacada, OR
• Milo McIver State Park – Estacada, OR
• Stay in Albany
9/16 – Albany to Chico (355 miles)
• Bryant Park – Albany, OR
• Riverfront Park – Roseburg, OR
• Tom Pearce Park – Grants Pass, OR
• Stay in Redding
9/17 – Redding to Mammoth (378 miles)
• Dog Island DGC – Red Bluff, CA
• Riverbend Park South – Oroville, CA
• Incline DGC – Incline Village, NV (pending installation)

Itinerary shaping up. Any breweries I shouldn't miss along the way?

Final tally - 22 rounds on 19 courses (15 of them new to me) in 8 days. Played three rounds at Whistler's Bend and two at Dexter. Did not make it to Lake Selmac, Riverfront Park, Riverbend Park South or Incline DGC. Added Turtle Rock as my last course before heading home. I will be flying back to play Horning's again at my earliest opportunity.

Final Brewery Tally - 6 - Sierra Nevada, Wild River, Hop Valley, Steelhead, Deschutes and Rogue.

Strangest thing found on a basket ever - Someone skinned a squirrel and left the body spread eagled on top of one of the baskets at Bryant Lake.

Thanks to my guides - Jimbosprint, Hippy007 and The Bird Man (seriously, wtf was up with that squirrel?)

Final tally - 22 rounds on 19 courses (15 of them new to me) in 8 days. Played three rounds at Whistler's Bend and two at Dexter. Did not make it to Lake Selmac, Riverfront Park, Riverbend Park South or Incline DGC. Added Turtle Rock as my last course before heading home. I will be flying back to play Horning's again at my earliest opportunity.

Final Brewery Tally - 6 - Sierra Nevada, Wild River, Hop Valley, Steelhead, Deschutes and Rogue.

Strangest thing found on a basket ever - Someone skinned a squirrel and left the body spread eagled on top of one of the baskets at Bryant Lake.

Thanks to my guides - Jimbosprint, Hippy007 and The Bird Man (seriously, wtf was up with that squirrel?)

Glad you had a great time. Anytime you are back up you got a friend to play with. we got a little rain and things are starting to green up.

Hippy007