• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post your workout routine

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
If you have one.

I have been flirting with the gym on and off but have decided to hit it pretty hard since it has been booty cold and we aren't getting out much.

I am doing a little every day:

Monday/Wed hard days:

10 min. bike, try to hit 3mi
100 crunches 20lbs resistance
45 lateral pulldowns 20lbs
45 side bends 20lbs (ea side)
10 shoulder press 10lbs (weak ass shoulders)
45 (ea) curls, 10lbs
45 (ea) reverse curls, 10lbs

Tues/Thur:

10 min. bike
100 crunches 30lbs resistance

Friday day off

Saturday or Sunday, hopefully play.

I sometimes do 15 minutes on the bike but frankly it bores the hell out of me and I figure 10min is better than 0 min.

Lets hope I can keep this up.

What is some good leg/hip stuff? I am thinking yoga stuff because when I did that on the wii it hurt like hell.

I go to the gym on weekdays and cycle through back/biceps, shoulders/legs, and chest/triceps. Usually just do 2 sets of 3 for each muscle group and mix in sets of ab work in between sets. I'm a skinny guy, so I try to do high weight with lower reps.
I read an article a while ago in one of the dg magazines that had exercises suggested for disc golf. I've been meaning to work some of them into my routine, but haven't yet.

We work out with a couple of weight benches, free weights, exercise ball and a mat. We kept the benches in the garage. But the garage is not insulated or heated and so it isn't worth doing at this time of year. Besides there's 3 feet of snow to walk thru just to get to the garage. At the end of the fall I put the stuff in our very small and very crowded basement.

Along comes Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years. I've gained 10 pounds and so has she. And over the past few days we got dumped on with snow so shovelling it I pulled my lower back outta whack. So I'm not doing anything right now. Hopefully I'll be limber enough to play this weekend.

Because of space we will be very limited in what we can do in the basement. So when the back is back to normal we'll figure out a routine. Bench presses, curls, squats, butterflys, leg presses, etc. And my most hated exercise, sit ups.

Then once the weather improves we will alternate days in the "weight room" with biking along the Niagara River Gorge. And in addition to biking from here to the actual Falls, sometimes we will lock up the bikes and walk down the steps to the bottom of the gorge and back up again.

Those routines are done Tue-Fri. Sat, Sun, & Mon its out on the course. Now that the weights are inside hopefully it will now be a year round activity. In addition, at midnightbiker's insistence, when the the Spring comes I will be biking mid day to a nearby park to practice my throws.

I thought tech. & strategy was appropriate...moreso than the others...I mean, I am working out FOR disc golf...otherwise I would give two S...ts

10 min. bike, try to hit 3mi
100 crunches 20lbs resistance
45 lateral pulldowns 20lbs
45 side bends 20lbs (ea side)
10 shoulder press 10lbs (weak ass shoulders)
45 (ea) curls, 10lbs
45 (ea) reverse curls, 10lbs

Tues/Thur:

10 min. bike
100 crunches 30lbs resistance

I sometimes do 15 minutes on the bike but frankly it bores the hell out of me and I figure 10min is better than 0 min.

QUOTE]

I am not sure what your goals are, but you are missing a few things...

You dont have a defined chest or tricep wourkout.

I would be more inclined to focus on your core (abs and back) first. Build from the inside out.

Riding a bike at a flat rate has minimal effect...yes it is better than nothing, but it is best to do interval training (bursts of speed mixed with slow times) during your time on the bike (especially to burn fat and increase cardio). This can alleviate some boredom as well.

If you are looking to just get in shape, hit each muscle group once a week and do 3-4 different exercises per group. 2 muscle groups per day is enough. Choose a moderate amount of weight and reps. Do your cardio (bike) at least 3 times a week after your lifting session. Monotony will breed contempt and a plateau in performance.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Regardless of the day of the week do a 3-5min run before you start and then stretch well. Stretch until there is some tightness and hold for 10-15sec on each stretch you do.

Now, find you max for the following lifts: Bench Press, Squat, Dead Lift. Lat Pull Down. Leg Extension, Leg Curl. Bicep Curl, Bicep Extension and Military Press.

Weeks 1 and 2 are standard weeks; Do upper body Monday and Thursday, lower body on Tuesday and Friday (this gives ample time for the muscles to repair the small tears that are created during lifting:
• Warm-up and stretch for 15min.
• Cardio workout 15-30min on a bike or elliptical.
• Hit all your major lifts that required a MAX do 3 sets of 10 at 70% of your MAX (do Squats one of the days and Dead Lift the other)
• Any complimentary lifts to these can be done at light weights
• Do a cool down stretch to finish the workout
• Eat a meal with a significant source of protein within 1 hour of the workout.

Week 3 is a mass week; Do upper body Monday and Thursday, lower body on Tuesday and Friday (this gives ample time for the muscles to repair the small tears that are created during lifting:
• Cardio workout 10-15min on a bike or elliptical.
• Hit all your major lifts that required a MAX do 3 sets of 6-7 at 85% of your MAX (do Squats one of the days and Dead Lift the other)

Week 4 is a recover week; Do upper body Monday and Thursday, lower body on Tuesday and Friday (this gives ample time for the muscles to repair the small tears that are created during lifting:
• Cardio workout 30min on a bike or elliptical.
• Hit all your major lifts that required a MAX do 3 sets of 12-15 at 55% of your MAX (do Squats one of the days and Dead Lift the other)

Always use a spotter for free weight lifts and have them help complete your set if you cannot complete it on your own, it will help you out down the road. For any of these weeks, when you complete a full set of three with no assistance for a weight add an additional 5lbs the next time you do the workout.
Ex. If you did 3 sets of 10 reps at 155lbs on the bench with no assistance, the next time you do that routine move to 160lbs.

Utilize Wednesday as a day to do rubber band exercises if you have access and core (abs) routines.

this is a workout that will help with most any sport you play, it is designed to improve cardio and well as general muscle strength

isnt this in the wrong forum? anyways to answer the question i am only doing the wiifit with my wife right now:( i cant afford a gym or membership

I was in the same boat doing wiifit with the wife and throwing disc bummed because i didn't have a gym to go to. Then she got the EA active game for the wii. we both do that now and it gives you a much better workout than wiifit.

To get ready for discin':
Yogic stretches
15 min Resistance bands: arms, shoulders, back, abs, legs

7 mile round trip bicycle ride to nearest course, and 16 miles for the other course I bike to. I'll then do some more Yogic stretching and breathing to prepare for playing.

General routine:
Build strength Golds Gym Resistance band DVD (around 25 min)
Build stamina Jog 3 miles (2 days on - 1 day off)
Build focus "Water Yoga" around 25 min (great stretching out)

Everyday I lift a cheese burger from the table to my mouth over and over again.

you guys are nuts.
my workout consists of bending down to put my disc golf shoes on (mids with laces). and then playing.
im thinking of shortening that routine since its so strenuous on my poor back and buying a portable chair or stool to sit on.

Run around the house when I get home trying to find where the kids put all my stuff, while trying to pick up their toys. Break up three fights between my kids, sit behind laptop computer, hiding, until dinner is ready. That really gets me up for disc golf!

Far cry from my competitive cycling background of riding 200-400 miles/wk plus gym work in the winter.

Before I started playing I went through 5 or 6 weeks in an 8 week jump rope program. It was guaranteed to improve a person's vertical by x amount of inches. I would recommend jump rope in addition to whatever lifting routine anyone has. It's pretty close to a full body workout. If anything else you could end up getting some serious air on your jump putts.

If my schedule allows, I go to the gym everyday but Sunday (but my schedule rarely allows).
Ideally:
M,W,F-->
Upper body exercises: bench press, shoulder press, curls, dips, tricep pull down, etc. (at least 5-6 exercises with 3 sets of 10 on each). For bench press I do three sets of 10 with 135lbs and add 20lbs for the 4th set - which is usually only about 5-6 reps.
I also usually do 5-10 minutes of abs on these days.
Try to get in some cardio 10 min on elliptical, run 1 mile, or play basketball.
T,TH, Sat-->
Lower body exercises - squats, lunges, leg press, etc. (at least 4 exercises, 3 sets of 10 reps on each).
I usually start with 1 mi on the treadmill. After lifting I either do more on the elliptical (15 min) or play basketball. But, this is based on an ideal schedule.

Sadly, if I have to cut out, it usually comes from cardio activities - mainly because they are boring and hurt my feelings. Oh well.

Before I started playing I went through 5 or 6 weeks in an 8 week jump rope program. It was guaranteed to improve a person's vertical by x amount of inches. I would recommend jump rope in addition to whatever lifting routine anyone has. It's pretty close to a full body workout. If anything else you could end up getting some serious air on your jump putts.

I use to shoot baskets(ball) a lot, and thought those principles would translate into improving my putting game. Like: bend knees, get centered, take breath, shoot confidently, follow through, etc.
It is now clear to me nothing can improve my putting game, but an act of god.

I lift weights Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. I do it all in the mornings before work so I don't get a whole lot of time.

Lately, my lifting has been a full body routine. I'll do either bench presses or flys on a stability ball, squats or side lunges, some sort of core exercise, bent over rows and military presses. I do two sets of each and I switch exercises and/or number of reps every few weeks. I'm thinking of moving to a split to change things up a bit, though.

run for 33 min on the 'weight loss' setting since it goes back n forth between flat and high incline during the routine ... been averaging 4 miles . and burning over 600 calories

I hit weights after, all Bowlfex Dumbbell routines... try and get thru 3 set in under 25 min

chest press
flys
shoulder press
biceps - I do a three part bicep workout a)rep # going from shoulder to perpendicular b)rep # going from floor to perpendicular c)full bicep curls
sitting triceps
single dumbbell chest pump
incline chest press
incline fly

3-4 set of 10 ... I'm just getting back into routine so wont add 4th set for another month or so but the extra set builds size pretty fast