• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prediction: Paul McBeth Stays With Innova

This makes sense to me, but I'm no business man. Does anyone know where the Discraft rumor started? I mean, I was hearing it within minutes of Innova's announcement. Is this just an internet thing where we all jumped on this random speculation or is there some real meat on this bone?

That has been the rumor since this all started a couple weeks ago...

BTW, good to see you on the boards again. This place has missed a bit of your no BS style...;)

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that part of his decision to go to Discraft (or wherever he winds up) could stem from them actively wanting to partner with him on course design, land ownership, construction, equipment supply, etc.

Paul made it known that a dream of his is to begin developing championship-level courses and he wants to source some land to do it. If Innova balked at the idea of buying land, landscaping it all, etc.. Perhaps someone else didn't?

Didn't he buy a house last winter on land suitable for building such a course? Seems that's where he plans to start. I think he already has, if his instagram is any indication.

This makes sense to me, but I'm no business man. Does anyone know where the Discraft rumor started? I mean, I was hearing it within minutes of Innova's announcement. Is this just an internet thing where we all jumped on this random speculation or is there some real meat on this bone?

I heard from a local, who doesn't take part in the internet disc golf scene that it was the am worlds TD from SC/NC, and a discraft pro. Which I think is MTL.

I heard from a local, who doesn't take part in the internet disc golf scene that it was the am worlds TD from SC/NC, and a discraft pro. Which I think is MTL.

It's not an unreasonable rumor at all, which is why it spread so quickly, I think. But those are some decently reputable sources. Still just a rumor, but a very likely one.

That has been the rumor since this all started a couple weeks ago...

BTW, good to see you on the boards again. This place has missed a bit of your no BS style...;)

Thanks! Been focusing on my wrestling a lot and getting back to enjoying disc golf in my free time as opposed to always training or the next event. My drill schedule with the Guard prevented me from playing a lot of tournaments this season, but I think it actually helped. I'm having so much fun playing now.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK!

All speculation, but McBeth teams up with Jomez Pro for some sort of company. They are the best in the business in the coverage of the sport, he is the best player. They put out their own molds with McBeth's name on them, they all make money on that. He can also start designing courses and promoting events. Seems like he has a good relationship with a lot of other pros and could probably get them to throw his plastic. He becomes like Jussi. Only issue is he is still the most consistent player in the game, and business takes time away from actually playing. Maybe he's at a point where he wants to throw less and grow the sport in other way. Regardless, this makes for fun talk for all of us. I look forward to see what he does.

I'm hearing a lot about McBeth getting into the course design game. Is there any evidence that he would be any good at it? Just being good at teh disk golfs doesn't necessarily make you a good designer.

Is it also possible that Discraft just gives DGA more or less completely to McBeth? I don't know what the relationship of DGA is to Discraft other than the latter molds the discs for the former.

I'm hearing a lot about McBeth getting into the course design game. Is there any evidence that he would be any good at it? Just being good at teh disk golfs doesn't necessarily make you a good designer.

Is it also possible that Discraft just gives DGA more or less completely to McBeth? I don't know what the relationship of DGA is to Discraft other than the latter molds the discs for the former.

Until anyone actually designs a course, how does anyone know if they're any good at it? If the guy owns some land and wants to put a course on it, he should go ahead and do it. Doesn't mean he will be a world class designer, but that shouldn't stop him.

And DGA is an independently owned company. Don't think they'd take too kindly to someone outside the company "giving" their stuff away without their say-so. ;)

Didn't he buy a house last winter on land suitable for building such a course? Seems that's where he plans to start. I think he already has, if his instagram is any indication.

Not only does he plan on creating a course on his land, but he also wants to open up his own disc golf shop. The man has some serious ideas, and perhaps Discraft was just the company to help him achieve those goals.

Last edited:
Hmmm. He mentions the shop at 2:33:00, but says he plans to open it by May, which would have been this past May.

Sooooo....maybe it got put on hold or something.

DGA is a separate company, and Paul probably doesn't have the experience to run a manufacturing and distribution company. All the speculation is really entertaining. I look forward to January to see how this all pans out.

He might not have the experience but discraft does. That seems like the logical arrangement if he is going out on his own. Besides, Steve rico didn't have that experience with disc manufacturing either, and legacy exists and is still doing well.

I'd like to see him do that personally. It would be interesting to see what his ideal molds would be like.

Paul doesn't need the experience, he would be the brand. He would have someone else help with the business side, he said in an interview earlier this year he already has someone who manages his money.

He might not have the experience but discraft does. That seems like the logical arrangement if he is going out on his own. Besides, Steve rico didn't have that experience with disc manufacturing either, and legacy exists and is still doing well.

I'd like to see him do that personally. It would be interesting to see what his ideal molds would be like.

There really is nothing logical about discraft giving away a company they don't own to a really good disc golfer. DGA is likely still run by steady eds family. You seem like a good dude though. I'm curious to see how this all pans out. The speculation and snowball effect of this discussion are entertaining.

There really is nothing logical about discraft giving away a company they don't own to a really good disc golfer. DGA is likely still run by steady eds family. You seem like a good dude though. I'm curious to see how this all pans out. The speculation and snowball effect of this discussion are entertaining.

I'm not saying they are giving him DGA. Just that if he were to go out on his own and get a company started, a partnership with a company like discraft that has the infrastructure and experience would be wise.

I believe you have me confused with other posters, or just misread/understood my post.

Until anyone actually designs a course, how does anyone know if they're any good at it? If the guy owns some land and wants to put a course on it, he should go ahead and do it. Doesn't mean he will be a world class designer, but that shouldn't stop him.

And DGA is an independently owned company. Don't think they'd take too kindly to someone outside the company "giving" their stuff away without their say-so. ;)

They tutor under a designer, participate often on maintenance/installation workdays, converse at great lengths with designers, attend a designers guild workshop, etc. Basically anything other than playing a lot of disc golf. I'm not saying he shouldn't design a course on his own property; people on this thread are making it out like designing is going to be in his future career plans. I'm just curious if he's studied under anybody in particular or what his influences might be. If I were a touring pro at an elite level, I wouldn't waste a lot of time dragging brush and clearing trees with the course rats. That's time lost for practice and wear and tear on the body.

Paul doesn't need the experience, he would be the brand. He would have someone else help with the business side, he said in an interview earlier this year he already has someone who manages his money.

I don't what that means so don't know how to respond.

I'm not saying they are giving him DGA. Just that if he were to go out on his own and get a company started, a partnership with a company like discraft that has the infrastructure and experience would be wise.

I believe you have me confused with other posters, or just misread/understood my post.

No confusion. You responded to my post about DGA by saying it would be logical. Now that you clarified I can see where you are coming from.

I think any involvement of him becoming a partner or business owner would take away from actually focusing on and playing disc golf. And he still has lot of golf to play.

Latest posts