• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

I found when I threw the d1 like a full power max distance drive it was a little more understable than I would have thought. If i threw it too low it would hold an anny until it eventually ran into the ground.

I got a chance to throw the D1 a few times this weekend also and the above statement is exactly what I saw. I throw primarily forehand off the tee and use 170g star destroyers for distance( 375' - Adv Master). With about a 10mph headwind the D1s held the forehand Anny line and never fought back out of it. The destroyers (relatively new condition and a little lighter 171g to the D1s 174) held a similar line early in the flight but eventually flexed back which is what I expected from the D1. I have a lighter (170g) D1 on the way and want to compare them in the same conditions. Not really sure my thoughts yet - More throws needed to form a good opinion. One a separate note DDs Trespass has impressed me early on throwing similar lines.

The flippier two out of my three D1s flew just like this. The other one was much more stable and flew how I initially thought my D1s would fly.

Mike C said that the D1 for him flew like a Predator. None of my three were even close to being that overstable.

I didn't really follow this thread too closely, but I do recall someone mentioning that there were some flippier D1s out there earlier on. I wonder if that's what these are? I need to get a new battery for my scale and weigh these suckers. Maybe the one stable one I have is actually just a porker.

We currently have some Yellow D-1's that are, according to Prodigy, retooled to be a little less overstable.

I have one of each. Since the weather has been cold, windy and snowy it's hard to get a good read on these discs. At first, throwing from a standstill I found the D4 (173g) to be responsive and fairly user friendly. After hitting a few trees and dealing with some wind, it's becoming less predictable and pretty flippy. The D1 (174g) wasn't as stable as I expected, it sure didn't fly like a Predator, but I wouldn't call it flippy either.

I see some real potential and look forward to using them some more, but the jury is still out as to whether they find a home in my bag.

Interesting hearing about the less stable D1's.

I threw a bunch of flx shots when I was filming that distance drive video that I cut bcause you couldn't see the first half of the drive. Now I feel like uploading them, just to show how OS my D1 is compared to others out there.

DSCN3277_zps150b8876.jpg

after hitting a few trees, no real noticeable damage to the plastic, only some light scratches on the stamp

We currently have some Yellow D-1's that are, according to Prodigy, retooled to be a little less overstable.

I wonder why would they do that to a driver that doesn't seem to be that overstable to begin with. I understand if this was a D2 or a D3, but this is supposed to be their most stable distance driver.

I see it more as damage control than purposeful retooling. Having an under stable , sub variety helps protect the "regular D1 is overstable" brand.

I wonder why would they do that to a driver that doesn't seem to be that overstable to begin with. I understand if this was a D2 or a D3, but this is supposed to be their most stable distance driver.

It seems the first impressions were of how stable they were. I am being careful with the word stable and overstable. Those early impressions were describing how resistent to turning and flipping they were, of how they fought quickly into a fade, but the fade was manageable. And then these most recent impressions are almost calling the D1 understable with very clear turn.

It makes me wonder if they were different batches, and if so, what batches did everyone get.

Both D1s I have (from two different sources) are clearly stable, bordering on overstable. They fall between Forces and Nuke OSs for high speed stability, and they do not appear like that because of being underthrown. My consistent max distance range is 380-420, which is what I would like to believe is a healthy range.

I would like to believe that the winter variable of slick or uneven tee boxes due to ice and snow can cause flaws in my technique and power generation, but I have teed off into an open field from a dry parking lot and the results are similar enough to call my two D1s incredibly stable.

If there is anything that may skew my results from yours is that the easy release technology does affect my grip and ability to generate snap. But if anything, that only affects my level throws. On powered up anhyzer shots they definitely fight out of them and back into a fade. An understable disc would ride that angle into the ground, or at the very best level off and land flat.

We definitely have different D1s, then. The two flippy ones I have had less HSS than new Destroyers. They did hook up pretty good at the end, but I had to make sure to give them enough height to do it (15-20ft). When throwing into a ~10mph headwind I had to be sure to release them with hyzer or they would hold the turn into the ground. I let my buddy throw them as well, and he has a tendency to throw pretty hard with slight hyzer to mostly flat on the release. He usually throws C-DD2s for distance and they fly relatively straight with some fade for him. The D1s had a lot more turn than the DD2s.

We had some fresh Star Destroyers to throw side by side with the D1s and the Destroyers were more resistant to turn than the flippy D1s, but flew about the same as the one stable D1.

For reference, my buddy has similar distance to you at around 380-420, usually averaging right around 400 for a good pull. My average distance with Destroyers is about 410-440.

I'm a local Oregon Pro with a rating of 1008, been playing for years, and consistently throw between 475 and 525 with distance drives so with the review keep that in mind.

Thanks

Scott Withers

I've seen this guy play...he can barely crack 330'

j/k, his stats are legit.

When I first heard the names, I was really hoping they would make them D1-D4 in order of stability. D1 being most stable distance driver, and D4 least stable distance. Then F1-F5 (fairways in order of stability), then M1-M5 (mids), and P1-P3 (putters).

I guess they'll just be random part numbers, which is confusing and not logical.

When I first heard the names, I was really hoping they would make them D1-D4 in order of stability. D1 being most stable distance driver, and D4 least stable distance. Then F1-F5 (fairways in order of stability), then M1-M5 (mids), and P1-P3 (putters).

I guess they'll just be random part numbers, which is confusing and not logical.

Exactly my sentiments.

I agree. Discmania has the same problem

Ah gwillim, your killing me, i do like the fine print at the bottom of the page. We need to get some of these in your hands, then we could get another opinion from a power player

I got around to replacing the batteries in my scale today. All of my D1s are marked 174, however one of the flippy ones is 177g. The remaining two are at 175g.