• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Purchasing some disks, help

BenDisk

Hello DG CourseReview forum

In all honesty, I had never even heard of Disk Golf until a couple nights ago. I was sat watching a TV show called "Pawn Stars" what a name haha. There was a guy that wanted to pawn hid disks and demonstrated how to use them and the rules of the game. I loved it straight away and I was over the moon when I came across this forum.

So, I have read through the rules and now I just need to get some disks and the basket ball hoop type goals. What brand do these disks go by? or what are the most popular? in terms of the "goal" what are the dimensions? because I would love to build one myself.

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys.

Thanks

Disc-golf-throwing.jpg

I recommend getting the "Innova Starter Pack", it contains three tried and tested discs that are well suited to beginners. Don't worry about getting a target / basket yet. Instead try to find an established disc golf course in your area. You don't actually need your own basket

Also loom up Central Coast Discgolf, SpinTV, and Jomez Productions on youtube for discgolf entertainment. Dont try to copy their forms too much yet [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend getting the "Innova Starter Pack", it contains three tried and tested discs that are well suited to beginners. Don't worry about getting a target / basket yet. Instead try to find an established disc golf course in your area. You don't actually need your own basket

I will caution on this and say you can find these three discs separately for cheaper than getting them all in one set in many cases.

Also, if you don't want to go with the set I would start out with nothing over speed 7.

You have probably come across that term in your research but I will explain a bit. There are 4 numbers that several companies use (with some slight variations). Those numbers are Speed | Glide | Turn | Fade. Speed is mostly about the power you need to put into the disc to get it to do what it is supposed to do. The main numbers you should concern yourself with are Speed and Turn at this point, Fade to a lesser degree.

When we talk about Turn and Fade we talk in terms of "stability." Let's take my favorite beginner driver (and one that is a staple in my bag) for an example, the Leopard. It's numbers are 6 | 5 | -2 | 1. If you throw Right Hand Backhand, the disc will "Turn" to the right at higher speeds and "Fade" a little left at lower speeds.

I like to use www.discgolfcenter.com to purchase discs and they actually have the numbers I mentioned for all discs, even the companies that don't use them.

I hope you enjoy your adventures out on the disc golf course.

The advice in this thread is very solid. Maybe you've already figured this out, but "building a bag" refers to the bag that most of us use to carry our discs in, and the process of selecting a group of discs to carry on the course. Ultimately, you'll want an assortment of discs that fit your abilities and the different types of throws that you'll want to make. Like that thread says, a very simple bag of four discs will get you off to a good start.

If that thread makes your head spin (it would have made mine spin when I was starting out), you can't go wrong with an Innova Starter Pack, which is available from many online retailers and automatically gets you following the most important advice from the bag-building thread. Or, to keep it even simpler, just get a Discraft Buzzz and call it a day. This is a very versatile disc and will get you started just fine all by itself. Have fun!

Hello DG CourseReview forum

In all honesty, I had never even heard of Disk Golf until a couple nights ago. I was sat watching a TV show called "Pawn Stars" what a name haha. There was a guy that wanted to pawn hid disks and demonstrated how to use them and the rules of the game. I loved it straight away and I was over the moon when I came across this forum.

So, I have read through the rules and now I just need to get some disks and the basket ball hoop type goals. What brand do these disks go by? or what are the most popular? in terms of the "goal" what are the dimensions? because I would love to build one myself.

Really looking forward to speaking with you guys.

Thanks

Disc-golf-throwing.jpg

Crap I missed this episode! So did they buy his discs?

No one is nicer that disc golfers. Once you find a local course go to a night that they have league play. The players there will answer questions and more importantly let you throw some of their discs. When you find one that you like start with that one. Unfortunately not all discs of the same make and model fly alike but at least it will give you a place to start. Maybe you will have enough fun to join their league. I hope it is not mine because with handicaps beginners crush everyone.

To be consistent with many other new players, purchase 12 Firestorms. 4 for drives, 4 for upshots and 4 for putting.

I will agree. Leopard (fairway driver), Buzzz (midrange) and a putter of your choice. Whatever feels good in your hand.

I often play 2 disc rounds and carry only my putter and a Buzzz. Sometimes I shoot a better score than when I have my full bag haha. It's easy to get caught up and carry too many discs you're not quite as familiar with and make bad shots with them.

welcome. a Leopard is a disc that will keep you going for a long time. add a mid and putter and you're IN!

a nice straight/US putter of any kind, I like the Dart and the Deputy for that role- any starter pack from a reputable disc maker will do, Innova, Discraft, Dynamic Disc, Lat 64- or piece together your own with a small starter bag, i would give a beginner a lightweight Leopard, a lightweight Buzzz, and a Dynamic Disc Deputy(difficult to find right now) or an Innova Dart, or a Lat 64 Pure

my personal preference is Swedish made plastic, which is referred to as the "Trilogy" family of Latitude 64, Dynamic Disc, and Westside, feels better in the hand and glides forever for extra distance

Latest posts