• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Drives - Form Tips -

Wow, I can't believe all you internet crybabys ran him out. You all need to stop being so butt hurt that he can crush your best drives with a putter. Guess what, his form is obviously better than yours, because he threw the line he was trying to throw, and it went ridiculously far. You can shove your "perfect" 300' shots up your ass as far as I'm concerned.

kachtz, I'm sorry the internet is full of haters, but don't leave the site, there are some of us that really appreciate the things you bring to it.

Well the other side of it is that we shouldn't all lick his butt just because he can throw far! Yeah, dood can throw far but he's got form issues and oat. And part of why he can get away his form issues is that he's a big and presumably strong guy. He could probably snap my skinny arse in half! For those of us who don't have strength to spare, we are going to need really good and clean technique to get any kind of distance, and watching his technique is probably not going to help us any.

Here's another of his youtube vids. All these drives look pretty much exactly like that first one, with all the same form issues and oat.

kachtz, man, I'm not really trying to pick on u. God bless u that u can throw far! But u also might be able to learn a thing or two about improving your technique if ur open to it.

Wow this has escalated. Let me clarify for those new to the thread since 4-4 when he edited the OP.

1. He doesn't throw lever style, he pulls across the chest...it's not even close to lever style, look at the still frame at the beginning of his throw.

2. Most people that are being called haters read his original post which was much longer and less concise - plus with the thread title being called "form tips" for throwing putters you'd expect the guy to have good form.

I'm not hating on him cuz he can rip a disc, that's just ridiculous. I actually love that the guy can come in having not played long and rip 400' shots with a putter, I think that speaks volumes about where the sport can go and what it can evolve to. Hell, most of my friends on the disc golf scene throw significantly further than I can, I appreciate that ability and am working my game to get there, but I digress.

The bottom line is he doesn't have great form overall, but he does have great power, and to call a thread form tips is misleading.

Quite a few people who are calling out the "haters" are ass-kissers who aspire to be popular on DGCR and turn it into some high-school social clique scene instead of keeping their critical thinking and critical perspective filters on. I don't care if it was Kachtz or timg that started this thread, and I don't care if he threw the putter 200', 400', or 252095235' - it won't change my opinion on his presentation and it doesn't make me a hater.

Well the other side of it is that we shouldn't all lick his butt just because he can throw far! Yeah, dood can throw far but he's got form issues and oat. And part of why he can get away his form issues is that he's a big and presumably strong guy. He could probably snap my skinny arse in half! For those of us who don't have strength to spare, we are going to need really good and clean technique to get any kind of distance, and watching his technique is probably not going to help us any.

Here's another of his youtube vids. All these drives look pretty much exactly like that first one, with all the same form issues and oat.

kachtz, man, I'm not really trying to pick on u. God bless u that u can throw far! But u also might be able to learn a thing or two about improving your technique if ur open to it.

If you find the thread where he posted this video he explains he is displaying the technique all the pros use at the Big D in the Desert competition. He competed in it last year. And yes, that is not a normal golf throw.

I have another video montage coming, but youtube is giving fits about the upload.

I still want to see one you guys do a supposed "good form" 400' drive with a putter that does not begin with a hyzer that is uber elevated, flips up flat, and finishes gliding flat and to the right! Post the video of your shot. We all deserve to see it.

I still want to see one you guys do a supposed "good form" 400' drive with a putter that does not begin with a hyzer that is uber elevated, flips up flat, and finishes gliding flat and to the right! Post the video of your shot. We all deserve to see it.

For the last time. Pay attention!!! He isn't throwing a golf line! He's throwing a distance line! :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

He's giving form tips on how to throw a putter 400' on a distance line, not how to drive a 200' tunnel shot with a putter.

You missed my freaking point. I don't think that another line exists on the planet to get that distance with that disc. I think his form is spot on I just want to see this better plan of action that others seem to think that they or someone else is doing.

What in the he'll did I say that leads you to believe that I don't understand that this is a distance line!?

For the last time. Pay attention!!! He isn't throwing a golf line! He's throwing a distance line! :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

He's giving form tips on how to throw a putter 400' on a distance line, not how to drive a 200' tunnel shot with a putter.

Last edited:
That sounds like OAT to me, too. It's roll under instead of roll over, but OAT none the less. ;)

I found out the other day that I can hyzer a 150 D A-SS for 300' I can also flip the same disc from that hyzer by snapping harder, and thats where I have drove past a 350'.

I discovered this when it appeared the less flippy faster drivers were not stalling out like they used to but rather were trying to flip to flat from a hyzer. Something about them being faster to where they would get out there far enough and I could see, particularly an X Nuke; really changing angle with the stamp facing left and it got almost flat and wouldn't quite get there as it would begin to fade.

So last weekend I played with it, but I have to figure out how to control it. There is a huge difference between a disc just not quite flattening out from when it does and a little past before going into a fade (if it has much). Makes everything unpredictable.

For the last time. Pay attention!!! He isn't throwing a golf line! He's throwing a distance line!

You missed my freaking point. I don't think that another line exists on the planet to get that distance with that disc. quit bitchin and post a video.

Are you 2 fighting with each other yet both arguing the same point? :confused:

That's what I meant by missing my point.

I found out the other day that I can hyzer a 150 D A-SS for 300' I can also flip the same disc from that hyzer by snapping harder, and thats where I have drove past a 350'.

I discovered this when it appeared the less flippy faster drivers were not stalling out like they used to but rather were trying to flip to flat from a hyzer. Something about them being faster to where they would get out there far enough and I could see, particularly an X Nuke; really changing angle with the stamp facing left and it got almost flat and wouldn't quite get there as it would begin to fade.

So last weekend I played with it, but I have to figure out how to control it. There is a huge difference between a disc just not quite flattening out from when it does and a little past before going into a fade (if it has much). Makes everything unpredictable.

Are you 2 fighting with each other yet both arguing the same point? :confused:

You missed my freaking point. I don't think that another line exists on the planet to get that distance with that disc. I think his form is spot on I just want to see this better plan of action that others seem to think that they or someone else is doing.

What in the he'll did I say that leads you to believe that I don't understand that this is a distance line!?

You're trying to get him to make a video of himself throwing a 400' shot that isn't a distance line?

My bad on bad sattire. I don't think that this "good form" throw that everybody is ranting about exists for a 400' drive with a putter. I am challenging people to show me what this supposed "good form" with a putter and still produce the same distance as the OP.

You're trying to get him to make a video of himself throwing a 400' shot that isn't a distance line?

You can't tell if his OAT is controlled because he's only thrown one line on video. And never had a target aside from as far away from himself as possible.
No you can't tell from the video, but there are others on here, who have even posted videos since you posted this, that play with him that say he can throw other lines. I believe them. I also believe you that your friend can throw Putt'rs like that even though I don't have video evidence.

Throwing as hard as you can into the air and hoping it turns over just right is not controlling it (watch his wind distance video, a lot of them just died out).
That's how you throw distance lines. Look at the distance post on DGR where Dan Beto talks about how his consistency with those lines is even worse than the OP's but we all believe that he can throw far with control. His post and tips aren't about distance lines, they're specifically about the stuff that's important when generating power. It's the same stuff most of the naysayers are ignoring.

I'd also argue that given that he threw 9/9 discs (if I'm reading that right) at least 372' I'd say his consistency at hitting that line isn't that bad. I'd be surprised if I could throw any disc 372' 9/9 times.

See for yourself, he lives and plays about 20 miles north of your area. Play a round with him sometime in Ames leagues since my understanding is you don't play tournaments. Look for Tim with about 4-5 Putt'rs in his bag.
I'm not confident I'll have the time to play any leagues in Ames, let alone a single round. I've probably only played 2 rounds since last October and now have a 2 month old in the house. Driving 45 minutes each way to see someone play disc golf isn't really a priority at the moment. ;)

2. Most people that are being called haters read his original post which was much longer and less concise - plus with the thread title being called "form tips" for throwing putters you'd expect the guy to have good form.
The part of his form that he's giving tips on, which also happens to be, by far the most important part, is actually almost perfect. I'd recommend listening to what he's saying rather than focusing on the rest of the stuff that doesn't matter.

The video starts with a 7 second pause at the part of the throw he's talking about. He wrote a couple paragraphs about some important things that happen during the most important part of the throw. Complaining about his reach back or the small amount of OAT he's applying is totally missing the point and one of the main reasons some people have a difficult time learning to throw far.

I'd guess that if he wanted to, he could make the rest of his form look prettier and get similar D. Then people would watch his videos and talk about how awesome his reach back is or how much shoulder or hip rotation he's getting and then go out and practice that stuff, still totally missing the point that what he wrote about is much more important. IMO, this video is much more effective. We already have videos of pros who have prettier form.

I think that this thread is so hot because there is a general misunderstanding about varied techniques associated with varied disc stabilities and varied throws.

I came into golf with an Ultimate background. How you achieve distance with an Ultimate disc is completely different than the way you achieve distance with an overstable driver. I remember getting pissed as I tried to translate my experience with a lid into dg. The rules are different because the stability traits of the discs are radically different. I get distance with a putter using the same technique that I get distance with an Ultimate disc except a slight grip variation.

My point is this...That this guys technique is spot on for that distance with that disc. I would like to see someone produce that distance with that disc using another flight pattern.

Again, I don't have a video camera. If you want though, I'm very likely going to be at 2011 Collegiate Nationals, so you can watch me live in a week. There was a distance competition last year, there will probably be one this year. Maybe I'll throw a putter just for ****s and giggles on my third throw.

To tide you over, here's Jussi throwing Ions 400. In a straight line. (At least when this video was posted in a thread, it was stated that they were reaching 400)

Wow, I can't believe all you internet crybabys ran him out. You all need to stop being so butt hurt that he can crush your best drives with a putter. Guess what, his form is obviously better than yours, because he threw the line he was trying to throw, and it went ridiculously far. You can shove your "perfect" 300' shots up your ass as far as I'm concerned.

kachtz, I'm sorry the internet is full of haters, but don't leave the site, there are some of us that really appreciate the things you bring to it.

Until he can throw 500' with a putter, that won't be the case. You guys seem to think I'm angry he can throw farther than me, I just like arguing disc golf on the interwebs.
He gets butthurt because we tell him he has OAT, and we are the crybabies?

Funny thing is, I didn't even bring up his second point(his repost at least, not his original, unedited, post), which I don't even agree on. He says he's aiming at that white sign, but that's not really where he's aiming. He's aiming high and to the left of that sign, but he's envisioning the disc flight in his mind so that it will flip over enough to glide TOWARD that sign. His aim is actually more like the red tree in the distance. He would not be positioning his feet left of the target if he's throwing a hyzer, he would find a target to the right side and aim at that. He might be trying to get people to close their stance up more so that their back is turned on reachback and pull, but telling someone to aim way left of the target is not the way to do it.

It's like the blind leading the blind.

2nd - notice the angle of my feet, in relation to where i am aiming. i am aiming about where that little white sign is you can see in the distance, my feet are aligned up way to the left of that, because if you want to get full extension in your throw, your feet will be setup like this, if you kind of follow tee pads and throw in line with the teepad, you are automatically going to force yourself to either release early, or pull with your arm low, or "grip lock" and throw way right..

I'll see you at collegiate nationals and I'm gunning for the distance title big time. From my talks with NCDGC this is a legit contest this year. Chance to officially break the collegiate record. Even have to qualify on Thursday

Latest posts