• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter for driving practice

Boy, you just can't stop beating this dead horse. It one thing to be an outlier if you can crush discs and play better than the norm, but at 200ft+ with mids that's clearly not the case. If you want to play your own game, that's fine, have at it. But when folks are trying to improve, why harp on the advise that better players give?

Because what was said is not true, and other people will read it and think it IS true. And you are correct: I will never stop calling this bad (if not outright deceitful) "advice" out.

^has no idea what they are talking about... (This weekend played catch with a guy who had tripple bypass surgery and is old with very little athleticism yet he could bomb a ultimate lid 200' i was having a hard to getting it back to him on the same straight lines)

Putters: throw them all. Any putter can fly 200' fairly easily with any decent technique. Controlling them out to longer distances is where the fun really starts. 275 hyzers or annys that hold to ground. 300 high dead straight shots. Next thing you know it feels like all you need in your bag is a putter for most holes.

Last edited:
Boy, you just can't stop beating this dead horse. It one thing to be an outlier if you can crush discs and play better than the norm, but at 200ft+ with mids that's clearly not the case. If you want to play your own game, that's fine, have at it. But when folks are trying to improve, why harp on the advise that better players give?

I was stubborn once too and after sucking it up, body in pain and getting nowhere, I too succumbed to the advise.

I guess it's one of those "the truth hurts" kind of things. Clearly players who've played and practiced for 10+ years don't know what they are talking about. :rolleyes::wall:

Except I threw a Judge and Comet

Word.

Okay, now it's 200 ft. instead of 250 ft. as the other poster said earlier. Big difference there (not to mention changing the number).

250 is the BIG goal, but if you can chuck a putter 200 ft you are at least heading in the right direction. How far do you throw putters?

Okay, now it's 200 ft. instead of 250 ft. as the other poster said earlier. Big difference there (not to mention changing the number).

Reading comprehension is your friend. You didn't quote the second part. Why?

He said.

Any putter can fly 200' fairly easily with any decent technique. Controlling them out to longer distances is where the fun really starts.

My favorite shot is the downhill 280-350ft shot with a putter. Even its it's only slightly or gradually down hill you'd be surprised at how far you can get a putter down there.

Instead of throwing a mid or a driver throw a neutral/stable putter at the grade of decline with a little hyzer and hold that slight hyzer all the way through the follow through and just trust the disc to flip up maybe turn a bit then come back and finish.

I was stubborn once too and after sucking it up, body in pain and getting nowhere, I too succumbed to the advise.

SD86 should also succumb. I originally thought "Man there is NO WAY I'll ever be able to throw a putter 250 feet! That's just CRAZY TALK!"

Until I worked on it. I clearly remember the first time I sent my Proxy 265' and laser straight. I stopped dead in my tracks and went "Ooooooooh THAT'S that they are talking about!"

FYI - I'm 42 yrs old and have 3 bad discs in my neck that prevents me from really reaching too far back or flinging my arm out wide. I use a tight, compact "in the cylinder" stroke and can easily break 250 with my pathetic noodle arm. If I can do it, anyone can. I sent my fluid warden 310 feet (slight downhill basket) a couple weeks ago. If you had told me a year ago, that I would overshoot a 277' basket by 30' with a PUTTER I would have laughed in your face and said it's impossible.

Because what was said is not true, and other people will read it and think it IS true. And you are correct: I will never stop calling this bad (if not outright deceitful) "advice" out.

Except, in this case, it *IS* true. I really wish I had taken this advice (or been given it) about 10 years ago. :doh:

^has no idea what they are talking about... (This weekend played catch with a guy who had tripple bypass surgery and is old with very little athleticism yet he could bomb a ultimate lid 200' i was having a hard to getting it back to him on the same straight lines)

Putters: throw them all. Any putter can fly 200' fairly easily with any decent technique. Controlling them out to longer distances is where the fun really starts. 275 hyzers or annys that hold to ground. 300 high dead straight shots. Next thing you know it feels like all you need in your bag is a putter for most holes.

Exactly. 4 of the 9 discs I keep in my Gecko are putters. Shield/Warden/Proxy/Harp. And I throw them more than all the other discs combined.

I guess it's one of those "the truth hurts" kind of things.

Yep!

Aim said "easily put a putter out to 200". If you can "easily" put one out to 200, then hitting 250 with a little pop is not some herculean feat of impossibility, man.

If there is one thing I've learned about this game it's this...

Just because *I* can't make a particular shot (or reach a certain distance) doesn't mean it's impossible, or ridiculous to think that someone else can. After a year of solid work on my game, some of those "impossi-shots" are now attainable and a consistent part of my game.

Maybe instead of discounting solid advice, you should grab a stack of putters and hit the field, my man... :D:thmbup:

I have to say, for me anyway, age and injury haven't held me back too much with driving putters. I can't bomb them 300' like Aim can, but even with bad knees/back and occasional shoulder problems, I can hit 220-250. I'm not saying I'm old yet, but I am certainly not in the shape I was in in my 20s.

That being said, I am also not going to claim to know anyone's injuries or issues. Injury or other physical limitation may be the issue for some, and not form. I know my brother, who has AS, won't ever get the proper rotation he needs with a fused spine. Of course, if he were to read advice on throwing putters, I would expect him to recognize that he is not in the norm, and should divulge his limitations when asking for help in driving putters.

My personal favorite putter off the tee is the Wizard, but there are a lot of great options. Really can't go wrong with the Aviars you already have.

I used the Pure and Envy to practice driving with. I played 2 months straight with 6 putters as my only discs in my bag until I could drive all of them out to 250. What really made me realize the potential of them was when I birdied several holes that I used to throw fairway drivers on. When I switched back to my fairways, to see the difference, I blew by the holes with little effort. I say this to say, don't give up after those first few rounds when you end up 15 over. It's worth it.

Absolutely. The best thing I ever did for my game was throw only putters for a couple of months at a time. I usually do this a couple of times a year. Putters generally don't like torque, so you have to work on your form.

I will concur with people who said the Pure for a good start. Get it in Opto so that the stability will stay the same longer and go practice. Yes there are more understable discs that will show OAT even more, but this disc is the definition of neutral and can practice any flight to a certain extent with it. I throw other discs in that slot in my bag b/c I prefer the feel of those, but will often just practice with the Pure because it is so reliable to show you what you are doing right or wrong.

I wish hyzerunibomber was still around. SD86 and OP should check out the heavy disc blog. OP will get some great info and SD will see somebody documenting the complete rebuild of their form.

I guess it's one of those "the truth hurts" kind of things. Clearly players who've played and practiced for 10+ years don't know what they are talking about. :rolleyes::wall:
Word.

Okay, y'all are not getting my point so I will try one last time.

There are some people who will NEVER... *EVER*... be able to throw a (PDGA-legal)putter 250 ft. and/or a (PDGA-legal) Leopard 300+ ft. Ever. It has nothing to do with injuries. It has nothing to do with form. It is because some people's big muscles were programmed anti-athletically when they were 3 years old or less. Once the big muscles are programmed, which happens by the time a kid is 3 years old, that's it, the brain shuts it off and it can NEVER be programmed again.

I am sure y'all have seen kids (and/or adults) that cannot throw a baseball or softball any distance or with any speed, that cannot swing a bat at any speed at all. NO amount of practice, muscle-building or yoga is going to help them. They are physically unable to, and never will be able to.

Throwing a disc for distance requires arm SPEED... not raw muscle power, not strength, But SPEED. Will Schusterick is not a muscular guy, but he has arm SPEED. Ditto that for others.

Those that do not have that arm speed... never, EVER will. And therefore, they never, EVER will be able to legally and legitimately throw a putter 250 ft. or a Leopard 300 ft.

And ganging up on me with vicious personal attacks does not make what I am saying any less true. Ten years of experience is NOT going to make some people magically be physically able to do it. That's just the bottom line, and saying that it's possible for ANYONE is giving some people a false hope that NO amount of experience or practice or work on form will make possible. They can have perfect form, but if they don't have the arm speed, it WILL NOT MATTER, they'll never get that Leopard to 300 ft. nor that putter to 250 ft.

And I will continue to call these fallacies out when I see them.

Watch HUB and SW22

All I did was watch HUB and SW22 videos and follow up with field work with putters and a few putter only rounds. My form looks much better and overall gained at least 40' on my drives. My putter drivers are Warden, Judge, Atom, and Aviar R-Pro. My putter bag also includes Omega SS, Spike, Harp, and Challenger. I have multiples of each disc in various weights and levels of wear.

I wish hyzerunibomber was still around. SD86 and OP should check out the heavy disc blog. OP will get some great info and SD will see somebody documenting the complete rebuild of their form.

Ok, so everyone BUT SD86 can work on their form.

I work on my form all the time. Again, working on form is NOT the issue here. It's saying that working on form will allow ANYONE to throw a putter 250 feet, when there are some people who, even with PERFECT form, do not and never will have the arm speed to legally and legitimately throw a PDGA-approved putter 250 feet.

if you want to continue to misrepresent what I've said, go ahead, but that's what it is: misrepresentation.

I'm inclined to agree with some of SD's points. Arm speed is probably a real determinant of one's distance ceiling. Most folks probably have a much lower ceiling than the DG nerds of DGCR.

To think the sky is the limit, and that practice will allow you to keep adding distance past a certain point is wishful thinking.

It would be like saying that if I spent months working on my form, I could eventually throw a baseball 100 mph. Not with my arm, or most folks' arms for that matter.

On topic, I do play almost exclusively putter rounds in winter, and I do notice a lot of improvement once spring comes around. so I agree with the sentiment of the original post.