• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raleigh NC

oh snap I forgot. Random dubs are happening at Forest Hills, the temp course set up for the bull city Sat the 13th. The forest hills course might even be set up during this week so you could go out there and play it. Check raleighdiscgolf.com for info and maybe a course map. That course rules.

So, those familar with the courses and area, I' contemplating an all day run in Charlotte. If I disc sun up to sun down (PDGA Blue level player, plays 925-950 casually and much faster than tourneys), can I get in...

Reedy Creek
Nevin
Sugaw
Hornets nest
Renny
Elon

I've listed them in my order of preference, and would ditch Elon if I had to.

I'm thinking with the shortening of days you should cross Elon off that list. Nevin takes a while to play, but is less than 5 minutes from Hornets Nest. Nevin + Hornet's Nest = 4:00 combined with drive if solo, add 30 minutes if you're new to the courses. Renny will take you at least 2 hours to play a solo round.

Reddy Creek should have the baskets in the short positions, which a solo round can be done in just under an hour. If you had two days in Charlotte you might be able to pull off all of your courses and a few more.

When making suggestions to visitors I try to group the courses in by location in the city to keep driving to a minimum, here's a schedule I would consider if you were planning on discing sun up to sun down, followed by solo round time.

7:30ish start at Reedy - 1hr
drive 5 minutes to Eastway - 1:30
drive 5 minutes to Sugaw - 1:15
drive 5 minutes to Kilborne - 1:15

you could have these done by 1:00pm, which will leave you a choice.

from all of the above
drive 10-15 minutes north to play
Nevin - 2:30hr and
the Nest - 1:45
takes you to about 5pm

if you knock out 2 of the first four you may also have time to play Renny. Elon is 30 minutes south of everything else, and would be best if you played it last.

Confused yet?

You know you want to play that Cedarock/wellspring figure 8 with brother Dave. 36 holes....tis the trouble with meeting up with the local guides and enjoying the full fun on a limited schedule. :) And now a temp course thrown in as well!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking with the shortening of days you should cross Elon off that list. Nevin takes a while to play, but is less than 5 minutes from Hornets Nest. Nevin + Hornet's Nest = 4:00 combined with drive if solo, add 30 minutes if you're new to the courses. Renny will take you at least 2 hours to play a solo round.

Reddy Creek should have the baskets in the short positions, which a solo round can be done in just under an hour. If you had two days in Charlotte you might be able to pull off all of your courses and a few more.

When making suggestions to visitors I try to group the courses in by location in the city to keep driving to a minimum, here's a schedule I would consider if you were planning on discing sun up to sun down, followed by solo round time.

7:30ish start at Reedy - 1hr
drive 5 minutes to Eastway - 1:30
drive 5 minutes to Sugaw - 1:15
drive 5 minutes to Kilborne - 1:15

you could have these done by 1:00pm, which will leave you a choice.

from all of the above
drive 10-15 minutes north to play
Nevin - 2:30hr and
the Nest - 1:45
takes you to about 5pm

if you knock out 2 of the first four you may also have time to play Renny. Elon is 30 minutes south of everything else, and would be best if you played it last.

Confused yet?

This is good. My roadtrip was Reddy, Sugaw, Nevin, Nest, Renny, and Elon only as a bonus if all went SMOOOOOTH. So, will a true sunup to sundown day allow me time as a complete noob to the area to enjoy these courses? Or should I stay in Raleigh, make the most of it, and plan for a bookend leisurely weekend in Charlotte planned with a Raleigh business trip the next calendar year? Any great micro breweries in Charlotte that I would need to visit along with my discin to refresh with a good burger, bitter IPA, smooth nutbrown, or a tasty oktoberfest?

How about a great microbrewery in Raleigh for this upcoming week? Any local oktoberfests still on tap?

Now it seems I may be leaning toward zooming out to Zebulon Monday morn, then back to Cedarock/Wellspring and UNC. That should be a good enjoyable day, eh? Buckhorn is close to the office and could be hit up after work. Are cedar hills and mill creek near south east Raleigh?

This is good. My roadtrip was Reddy, Sugaw, Nevin, Nest, Renny, and Elon only as a bonus if all went SMOOOOOTH. So, will a true sunup to sundown day allow me time as a complete noob to the area to enjoy these courses? Or should I stay in Raleigh, make the most of it, and plan for a bookend leisurely weekend in Charlotte planned with a Raleigh business trip the next calendar year?

With that schedule you might be able to pull it off, but don't know how you'll feel about playing Elon long after all that throwing. The course sure is a treat though. The order you have listed is the way I'd go about it.

Now it seems I may be leaning toward zooming out to Zebulon Monday morn, then back to Cedarock/Wellspring and UNC. That should be a good enjoyable day, eh? Buckhorn is close to the office and could be hit up after work. Are cedar hills and mill creek near south east Raleigh?

MC is like 10 minutes from buckhorn.

Cedar hills is in north west raleigh and sucks to drive to.

good plan

I noticed I have Valley Springs wishlisted, but I don't recall any locals mentioning it. What do you think?

NEVERMIND! I went back and actually read the posts again.

How about a great microbrewery in Raleigh for this upcoming week? Any local oktoberfests still on tap?

Horniblow's Tavern (Big Boss Brewery), Natty Green's, Tobacco Road Sports Bar and Grill has great food, try some of the LoneRider Brewing Co. beers...shotgun betty is awesome, The Artisan is having its grand opening on Glenwood Avenue this weekend...12 beers on tap, all craft beers, supposed to be a legit place, who knows, we'll see. hope you have a blast!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone, really! Keep up the suggestions, I appreciate it and like options - for disc, beers, and food.

I'd say that Reedy and Sugaw could be played in less than an hour each if you're going solo and hustling. Doing Reedy first would be prudent, as it can get crowded with more casual players. Like others have said, Renny and Nevin will take a while, two hours plus, each. Hornet's Nest original can be done in under two hours. It would be best to have a guide for Renny, and may even play quicker the first time with a guide. If you decide to head down this way, let me know and I should be able to meet up with you.

Also, as for microbrews, Charlotte's disc golf scene eclipses its brewing scene, sadly.

I noticed I have Valley Springs wishlisted, but I don't recall any locals mentioning it. What do you think?

NEVERMIND! I went back and actually read the posts again.

Your original plan (zeb,cedarock,wellspring,unc is good) If you can fit Valley Springs in after UNC, go for it -- heavy woods with 4 extra holes (22 total) I would do Valley Springs before Middle Creek or CedarHills. IMHO

Horniblow's Tavern (Big Boss Brewery), Natty Green's, Tobacco Road Sports Bar and Grill has great food, try some of the LoneRider Brewing Co. beers...shotgun betty is awesome, The Artisan is having its grand opening on Glenwood Avenue this weekend...12 beers on tap, all craft beers, supposed to be a legit place, who knows, we'll see. hope you have a blast!

also forgot to mention boylan bridge brewpub, sweet view of downtown.

Your original plan (zeb,cedarock,wellspring,unc is good) If you can fit Valley Springs in after UNC, go for it -- heavy woods with 4 extra holes (22 total) I would do Valley Springs before Middle Creek or CedarHills. IMHO

Yeah, I agree with this also. Although, the last time I played Mid Creek it was still rough around the edges.

So then, like Brother Dave said in my other post "speed play through Charlotte is like wolfing down your meal at a gourmet restaurant - you have to savor the flavor", I've decided to hold back on my overwhelming desire to go to Charlotte, and reserve a few days to be there without time pressure.

On Monday morning I'm gonna hit Zebulon, then head out to Cedarock/Wellspring, and then UNC on my way back in to town.

Buckhorn and Mid Creek are near the office in Cary, so we'll play one each day after work.

If I can't get them in due to a late day in the office, I'll makes ure to hit up Buckhorn on Thursday morning before my flight. Otherwise I'm gonna hit Valley Springs or Cedar Hills before the flight.

How busy is Raleigh Durham airport - how much time should I arrive prior to flight (middle of the day Thursday).

On Monday morning I'm gonna hit Zebulon, then head out to Cedarock/Wellspring, and then UNC on my way back in to town.
Lots of extra driving. I'd drive to Cedarock first thing, then work your way back, picking up Valley Springs or Anderson if time permits on the way to UNC.

So then, like Brother Dave said in my other post "speed play through Charlotte is like wolfing down your meal at a gourmet restaurant - you have to savor the flavor", I've decided to hold back on my overwhelming desire to go to Charlotte, and reserve a few days to be there without time pressure.

Buckhorn and Mid Creek are near the office in Cary, so we'll play one each day after work.

If I can't get them in due to a late day in the office, I'll makes ure to hit up Buckhorn on Thursday morning before my flight. Otherwise I'm gonna hit Valley Springs or Cedar Hills before the flight.

How busy is Raleigh Durham airport - how much time should I arrive prior to flight (middle of the day Thursday).

Cedarock and Zeb are on complete opposite sides of raleigh.

I'd give yourself an hour to get through everything at the airport.