• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

ChUcKyZ

Double Eagle Member
I'm not sure I fully understand this. The email said they need 2000 people signed up by some date, and it costs 20 bucks? That's $40,000. Is that really how much it costs to get some cameras set up to watch 2 holes of action? Won't these costs be covered by advertising revenue? Help me to understand this.

I have no problem paying for the coverage. However, I would expect to have the following questions answered:

1. How many holes will be live?
2. Do I get to see lead card action for all 18 holes?
3. Does the money raised go toward running this internet stream, to the pdga, to the tournament purse?

I just replied to the email with those questions.

I only paid 9.99. I don't mind paying to support events like this, the live coverage is nice to have.

why would you get charged $20, is my question.

The 9.99 thing is a special half-off if you purchase early.

I would pay this if I knew I could get lead card final round comprehensive action, but I foresee coverage of the same 2 holes, over and over. And a lot of uninteresting side conversations during breaks in the action.

ChUcK said:

I would pay this if I knew I could get lead card final round comprehensive action, but I foresee coverage of the same 2 holes, over and over. And a lot of uninteresting side conversations during breaks in the action.

any live coverage is better than reading a one page article about the results on pdga.com, or waiting 3 months to see some coverage in discgolfer mag.

I can totally understand if someone doesn't agree with me on this though.

ChUcK said:

yeah the USDGC, which i was digging on since it was the first live footage i have seen online and it was pretty cool to watch but i would have liked to see some more holes, like hole 5 being played for instance, and hole 6 since that is one of the stroke pick-ups on the course, and more footage of hole 1 when they start, i think the first hole of the day is the most interesting.
victorb said:
ChUcK said:

any live coverage is better than reading a one page article about the results on pdga.com, or waiting 3 months to see some coverage in discgolfer mag.

I can totally understand if someone doesn't agree with me on this though.

yeah definitely. i was really liking the live footage, maybe since you have to pay for the memorial they will get a lot more covered because they know people will for sure watch.

Isn't this Wednesday-Friday too? I do my share of slacking off at work but I doubt I would be able to watch three days of coverage while still being somewhat productive.

rKp said:
Isn't this Wednesday-Friday too? I do my share of slacking off at work but I doubt I would be able to watch three days of coverage while still being somewhat productive.

That was my thought, too. Who is going to be able to sit and watch all this live coverage? I know they do it to some degree with other sports, but they typically also have the most interesting stuff when you want to see it - either by scheduling the play or by delaying the broadcast.

I watched some of the USDGC and it wasn't much to squawk about as far as entertainment goes. The think the accomplishment was big, but I spent more time watching a couple guys shoot the shit than I did watching golf.

My thought on this was...make it free so you can use it as a good marketing tool to attract sponsors. Also...if you are wanting to reach out to people outside the dg world, then charging $9.99 isn't going to do that.

Unfortunately, the first one hasn't done anything to inspire people to pay. It was voluntary and I know lots of folks said, "Hey, it's for disc golf!" But when they're asking up front and all you have to base your expectations on is the last event... well... uh... how much are we supposed to contribute to the PDGA and other people's disc golf? PDGA fees, volunteer time on local courses, etc. And now pay for live footage that was spotty at best the last time?

I think they need to show they can do it well before they start charging. Another volunteer effort would have been better. You could say that it's necessary to fund it, but then again, if nobody pays or watches because of the fee, then you're sunk anyway.

Volunteers don't have the equipment and internet capabilites to pull this off even if everyone else not owning and operating the equipment was a volunteer. If not enough people are ready to pay even $10 to build this effort, there's little chance of increased purses from sponsorship and any coverage on cable or networks any time soon.

Chuck, do you know if they've figured out how they're going to cover the the event? Is it going to be the whole course, or a selection of the holes?

Don't know anything about the coverage. At the USDGC, the number of holes covered was limited by the amount of cable required. Not sure if they've upgraded so that wireless coverage is possible.

Latest posts