• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

Trey133 said:
Freshen up on your dg history a little back to the time when there was no other shot than the backhand and chicken wing.

I'm curious as to when that would've been. I know the forehand has been used by disc golfers since the 70s. So at what time in disc golf's history was there only backhands and chicken wings?

duh! It was called the dactyl wing back then.
dinosaur+frisbee.jpg

roadkill said:
Trey133 said:
Freshen up on your dg history a little back to the time when there was no other shot than the backhand and chicken wing.

I'm curious as to when that would've been. I know the forehand has been used by disc golfers since the 70s. So at what time in disc golf's history was there only backhands and chicken wings?
Never. He made a generalization based on the fact that you rarely saw anyone use anything other than the backhand off the tee in the 90's unless that person primarily used that throw. For example our new BFF Mark Ellis threw forehands off the tee back in the day, but he was/is a forehand-dominant player. Backhand-dominant guys like Climo never threw forehand off the tee.

It's different today, as you will see guys switch back and forth. The guy I remember doing that in the 90's was Stokely. Watching Stokely was like going to the circus. He threw bombs that flew forever, and he had an endless bag of tricks so you never knew what to expect when he stepped up to throw. He made other players seem boring. But he seemed to be an exception back then. I'm sure there were others like him that I didn't happen to see play.

That is all based on shots off the tee. All the great players had a bag of tricks to get out of trouble. So, yeah, there was never a "time before the forehand."

And for the record, IMO forehands have always been more common than the chicken wing.

Working Stiff said:
And for the record, IMO forehands have always been more common than the chicken wing.

Although I agree with everything you said, and that was what I was generalizing (early 90's DG dominated by the backhand) the Chickenwing was pretty large and in charge in my area when I began playing, probably because of our ultimate team being bored throwing just flicks and backhands, but all I saw in my college days were amazingly long chickenwings.

Trey133 said:
Working Stiff said:

Although I agree with everything you said, and that was what I was generalizing (early 90's DG dominated by the backhand) the Chickenwing was pretty large and in charge in my area when I began playing, probably because of our ultimate team being bored throwing just flicks and backhands, but all I saw in my college days were amazingly long chickenwings.
Must be a regional thing. I've seriously seen two guys throw a chicken wing in my life, and neither one of them was using the throw in competition. It has always been them demonstrating the throw to somebody who asked about it.

Working Stiff said:
For example our new BFF Mark Ellis threw forehands off the tee back in the day, but he was/is a forehand-dominant player.

I believe Mark originally was a backhand dominant player. He transitioned to forehand after an injury.

And it just so happens when I started playing tournaments in 1988 I played with several golfers who were forehand dominant. Yes, they were in the minority but there is a contingent of former ultimate players who use the FH quite a bit off the tee.

As far as chicken wings go, there is a guy from the Baltimore area, Tom Edwards who back in the day threw Chicken wings around 340' in the air and 400' chicken wing rollers.

Mark Ellis was formerly a top notch racquetball player. He has said that the mechanics for throwing a forehand are very similar to smashing a corner killshot in racquetball. I'm not sure he ever threw backhand until after being forced to learn a passable version for upshots and putting.

roadkill said:
And it just so happens when I started playing tournaments in 1988 I played with several golfers who were forehand dominant. Yes, they were in the minority but there is a contingent of former ultimate players who use the FH quite a bit off the tee.
There is a vid of an old Wham-O disc golf event from the late 70's floating around. I'm sure you guys remember it, it is the one with Casey Kasem doing the voice over. Anyway, there is a dude on that vid (I want to say it was Jim Kenner's old freestyle partner Ken Westerfield) throwing nothing but forehands.

roadkill said:
Working Stiff said:
As far as chicken wings go, there is a guy from the Baltimore area, Tom Edwards who back in the day threw Chicken wings around 340' in the air and 400' chicken wing rollers.
Tom still can go over 300 with the chicken wing, and utilizes the bizarre "flippy putt" inside 25 feet.

veganray said:
bizarre "flippy putt" inside 25 feet.

Is this a basketball putt? There's a guy in KC that's pretty accurate with his putt end over end inside of 25 (when it's not windy).

It did include two numbers, an outside reference to another sport, and a winkey face. That's a joke for stats people. I have insider knowledge, I was a stats tutor for three semesters. Yep, I'm a dork.

veganray said:
roadkill said:
Working Stiff said:
Tom still can go over 300 with the chicken wing, and utilizes the bizarre "flippy putt" inside 25 feet.

I haven't played with Tom in a very long time. I generally only see him at the WVO in Paw Paw. And when I see him there he's usually there to play guitar and sing on the mobile grange stage.

Man, I hate that flippy putt. Terry Roddy does that too. Even No Spin does it in close range. When I see them setting up for it I deliberately turn away because for me it is the visual equivalent to nails in the chalkboard.

Received this email about the final day coverage:

Thank you!
For your support and patience.

I am sending this brief note to let you know that I continue to work on loading our Finals Highlight package to, not only the Todocast server, but to our other streaming servers, so that you can watch our final installment of the The Memorial Championships package.

There is something wrong, somewhere in the system, and I am having trouble identifying it. The video has been done since the middle of last week, and I am able to view it on my own system. However, there is something wrong when it gets loaded to our streaming servers, and I have been working tirelessly to identify what that problem is.

Like you, I am deeply disappointed that this final piece to our over 12 hours of coverage is not yet available, but please know that I continue to dedicate every waking hour I have to getting this to you.

You will be immediately alerted as soon as the Finals Highlight package can be viewed.

Please accept my deepest apologies for this short-coming. I am continuing to work on it, so that you can watch it. It is a great show, and I want to share it with you.

Thanks,
John G. Duesler, Jr.

Latest posts