• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rit dye questions

Can I get a dark, medium, and light brown by adjusting the dip time in dark brown?

edit: on white plastic

I have never used dark brown but this has worked with every other colour I have tried. So my answer is yes. I suggest checking the first layer of brown every min to guage how dark it gets. then remember how much time lapsed to achieve both the medium and lighter shades of brown your desiring.

keep in mind if the medium colour was achieved at 5 min and the lighter one at 2 mins you must remove the dip after 3 mins and weed the lighter area for the remaining 2 mins.

hope thats not too confusing

not at all, dip times are accumulative and good to know! did you use the rit color chart for the tan and orange mix? thats a nice brown on the last one you posted.

not at all, dip times are accumulative and good to know! did you use the rit color chart for the tan and orange mix? thats a nice brown on the last one you posted.

This is when all that math you learned in school that you thought you would never apply in real life comes in handy.

I have the ratio for the tan/orange mix written down at home. If your not in a big hurry I will post it up tomorrow morning. I did 20 min in the tan/orange mix followed by 3 mins in straight tan. My tan was mixed at 1 tbs powder in 2 cups h2o

Last edited:
This info needs to be here so I can find it in the future

NoThingess: "Dark green comes out grey unless you do a quick dip of about 1 min in dark green followed by a longer dip on Kelly green until the green shade you want is achieved"

LoPan: "Dark green is actually a pretty legit substitute for black if you don't have any....that's how dark it is..."

Bigmanbailye: "I concur with LoPan. I actually use dark green for my black because it goes opaque faster than real black RIT for me. If you dip a paper towel in your mix you can get a good idea how the color will turn out. Just look at the color that runs up (absorbs) the paper towel the furthest and that will be pretty much what you will get on a white disc."

JTacoma03: "Also since we're talking grey's - Pearl Grey comes out purple unless you steep it for HOURS, then it starts to turn from purple shades to that faded blackish-greyish-purplish look. "

NoThingness: "Rit works very well at low concentration levels so I don't think that's the problem. Try bringing the dye to a boil next time you heat it then let it cool down to a usable temp. Mixing your dye in boiling water isneeded to activate the dye. "

There is a time and a place for dark green to be dark green:

Dark Green can work. Contrasts well against a lighter green. (Also: sold it for 35! :) )

Attachments

• P4171539.jpg
    P4171539.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 19
So, I'm dropping the kids off at the pool, and it dawns on me. I know of another highly stainable powder (MUCH more powdery than Rit). Thinking it even comes with warnings of it's stain power... This might be able to dye plastic. The volume you get when you buy is quite a bit, it's very powdery, comes in several colors, and is availiable to everyone. If this stuff will work, we just might have a new gel-like paintable dye.

163410_Nb0Sft9MbGdAVs69rKWmSFn1p.jpg

I know it comes in black, blue, orange, yellow, red... even white :|
I'll bet it would need to be an acetone mix. Or something more caustic than water. If I can find the time, I might try it. OR: Has anyone tried it already? Volunteers?

You can buy raw pigment in infinite colors. The same used in artist oil and acrylic paints. As to the binding agent I dont know, Might be whatever you like because the pigment would be so strong. Be it a gel or as thin as ink. Ive never tried it, has anyone else?

Hopefully doing Captain America's shield on a clear Cryztal Z Buzzz here soon. Best pure red and blue for something like that? Gonna keep the white clear.

Hopefully doing Captain America's shield on a clear Cryztal Z Buzzz here soon. Best pure red and blue for something like that? Gonna keep the white clear.

I helped my buddy do this dye and we used Scarlet Red and Royal Blue. I don't have any pictures to share, but I think the colors turned out excellent.

Latest posts