• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roadtripping the Northeast 9-24/9-29

Central Park: Michigan Jeff and his wife (who name I can't remember) showed me around here. It's an extremely well laid out course considering it plays through a crowded city park. We only had to wait on a guy walking a dog (or maybe a buffalo, seriously, it was a big dog) once.

Thanks again to these folks, and to the folks I'll meet in the next couple of days. Your love of disc golf and desire to help others make road trips like mine incredibly enjoyable.

Carolyn. ;)

I found out today that a friend from VT was also playing the course on Sunday for the first time. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that wooly mammoth "pet" those people were walking. I swear it was 50/50 split of sheepdog and great dane. :eek:

Can't wait to read your description of the Black Falls course you're playing as i type this.

Can't wait to read your description of the Black Falls course you're playing as i type this.

I liked it. It was definitely one of those courses (similar to Sugaree in NC) where you look at your GPS every few seconds to make sure that, yes, the course is out in the middle of nowhere. I enjoyed the front nine more than the back nine; seemed like a lot more work went into the wooded holes, with all the logs used as walking paths and such. The last few holes were a bit on the repetitive side, especially having two similar holes (11 and 14 maybe?) right next to the rock wall. Maybe I'm just biased toward wooded holes, though, as that's what we have the most of here in Michigan.

The two pads/two baskets thing really helps with the repetitivity (is that a word?) though, as the course has the possibility of never playing the same way twice. As for me, I played a mix and match of long tee/short basket and short tee/long basket.

Johnny was top notch, met me at the course, and pointed me towards the first hole after mentioning for the third time how I should be playing Cherry Hill instead. Ah well, maybe next time.

---

Speaking of courses that remind me of Michigan, Troll Valley in Maine is an amazing course if you consider it just had its grand opening a couple of weeks ago. The owner and his wife (didn't think to get his name, but I bet it's jmsayward) were very friendly. I walked past the pro shop on the way to the sixth tee, and JM said "that was just the warm up, this is where the course really gets down to the nitty-gritty." And boy was he right. Hole 6 is the only par 5 on the course, a 505 foot affair that most big arms should be able to get in 4, but man, a wooded hole with some difficulty was a welcome site after the monotonously open blahs of the first five holes. The rest of the course was top notch wooded disc golf. Fairways were quite open, and it seemed like there were more downhill shots than uphill, which is always a nice bonus. Hole 11 is probably my favorite, not only do you have to find a line through the trees, but you also have to get your throw up as to not hit the wall of rocks (troll teeth?) sticking up out of the ground.

If the owner can find a way to eliminate a few of the first five holes by finding more room in the forest to play with, and maybe add another set of tee pads to increase the challenge for longer arms, he'll have a destination course in the heart of the Maine wilderness.

---

Sadly enough, it started raining on me on the back nine of Troll Valley. The rain and fog proceeded to follow me all the way down to where I sit now, a hotel in Massachusetts. It appears it'll rain throughout the day tomorrow, too, which means the disc golf part of my roadtrip is effectively over. I think I might salvage tomorrow, though, by checking out the Basketball Hall of Fame on the way back to Pennsylvania.

And that's enough blabbing from me.

Bummer about the rain, Greg............ glad I got to show you around Central Park.

Since you like the wooded courses so much, Joralemon will have to be included on your next tour. :thmbup:

Since you like the wooded courses so much, Joralemon will have to be included on your next tour. :thmbup:

I think an angry mob of DGCRs will attack me with torches and pitchforks if I don't play Joralemon on my next trip. :D

How was the Buccos Game...I think they won that one!!! Actually I don't really care, I was just curious about your thoughts on Moraine!?!

I was just curious about your thoughts on Moraine!?!

Believe it or not, I got there around 7:30 Monday morning and the gate was locked. After getting through the construction I wasn't in the mood to wait around and see if someone would show up to unlock it, so I just turned around and left. Managed to tack Parma onto the end of the day to make up for it.

I'll get Moraine and Deer Lakes in the next time I'm in the state.

yeah I know Greg is a Michigan expert and Im really curious how he thinks some of the easte compares

Why don't you finally make a road trip out to western Michigan for a week in 2011 and tell me how some of it compares? I'd wager you're more of a Pennsylvania expert than I am a Michigan expert. I've given as many thoughts as I plan on giving for the courses I played on this trip earlier in the thread; didn't take enough notes for official reviews. Sorry to disappoint in that regard.

Believe it or not, I got there around 7:30 Monday morning and the gate was locked. After getting through the construction I wasn't in the mood to wait around and see if someone would show up to unlock it, so I just turned around and left. Managed to tack Parma onto the end of the day to make up for it.

I'll get Moraine and Deer Lakes in the next time I'm in the state.

That SUCKS!!! I wish I would have known you would have been there that early. Hole #5 tee is right on the other side of that gate, 500 feet away. In the winter that gate is locked all the time so we park near there and start on hole #5. Major Bummer!!!

I liked it. It was definitely one of those courses (similar to Sugaree in NC) where you look at your GPS every few seconds to make sure that, yes, the course is out in the middle of nowhere. I enjoyed the front nine more than the back nine; seemed like a lot more work went into the wooded holes, with all the logs used as walking paths and such. The last few holes were a bit on the repetitive side, especially having two similar holes (11 and 14 maybe?) right next to the rock wall. Maybe I'm just biased toward wooded holes, though, as that's what we have the most of here in Michigan.
Ironically, after looking at the pics of most highly-rated courses in the east,
Sugaree most closely resembles the wooded holes at... you guessed it, Joralemon. Not to be piling on the J-Park bandwagon, but you would have been the first to play both courses.
Sounds like you had a great trip nontheless.

Ironically, after looking at the pics of most highly-rated courses in the east,
Sugaree most closely resembles the wooded holes at... you guessed it, Joralemon. Not to be piling on the J-Park bandwagon, but you would have been the first to play both courses.
Sounds like you had a great trip nontheless.

That's hilarious. I don't have any regrets though, I had a blast at Central Park. Joralemon will still be there when I come back in a year or two. :hfive:

Made it to the basketball hall of fame yesterday and attended the Bloomsburg Fair with my wife and my mother-in-law this morning. So yeah, this has been a phenomenal trip so far. Now it's nap time... going to take it easy tomorrow (supposed to have flooding rains) then drive down to Baltimore or possibly Atlantic City Friday and then drive back to Michigan on Saturday. I'm already at 1900 miles driven since last Friday; that'll easily eclipse 3000 by Saturday night.

while you are at brake well steel. ask the locals if wolf woods has been cut lately. if it has, play it too, they compliment each other nicely. and if you dont know, they are in the same park.

J-Park Bandwagon??!!! Has a nice ring to it.....

Play the "J"...... 52 people have it on their wish list. Gotta be something to the buzz.

Last edited:
Saturday is going to be tough. Widener is a long course, not hard, just long. If you don't time it right the drive between Beaver Island and Widener can be a pain. personally I would do either:
Parma or Ellison with Widener OR possibly a better choice would be skip Widener and do black diamond at Emory and Beaver Island on Saturday and save yourself some commute time

If you are in buffalo and ambitious you can try to do: Como Lake, Beaver Island, Chestnut, and Emory all in one day. It would be tough, but that are all decent courses.

Saturday is going to be tough. Widener is a long course, not hard, just long. If you don't time it right the drive between Beaver Island and Widener can be a pain. personally I would do either:
Parma or Ellison with Widener OR possibly a better choice would be skip Widener and do black diamond at Emory and Beaver Island on Saturday and save yourself some commute time

I did Chestnut -> Widener -> Parma

:popcorn:

I was a day behind you as I played Denisson, Widener, Parma, Sawyer and Basil on sunday....thanks for warming up Chili and Parma for me!

I was a day behind you as I played Denisson, Widener, Parma, Sawyer and Basil on sunday....thanks for warming up Chili and Parma for me!

Did you like Widener or Parma better? I think I'm leaning towards Widener simply because Parma played longer, or maybe I was just tired by the end and not throwing very far.

Now thinking about heading to the Sands in Bethlehem on Friday... Balt/AC is too far away. I guess Beth is only about 45 minutes from here. Maybe get a steak and play some poker.