• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silver Series: 2022 Santa Cruz Masters Cup May 13-15

Hmmm.....interesting to see Ruth Steele signed up to play this event. I met and had a chance to play a round on a brand new Toboggan course with her back in 2000. Looks like she stop playing sanctioned golf back in 2005.

Hmm... They are doing some changes this year. After looking at the caddybook, i realized they are only playing 18 holes Fri/Sat on the DeLa DG course???...

I'm guessing this is being done to help prevent fatigue and/or improve round times but do any locals have insight into why they are doing this? What holes are they leaving out?

Also, since they are going back to using the golf course layout for the final round on Sunday... Is there cell coverage over there for a final round live stream?...

I live a couple hrs south so I won't claim local but I know the course very well and had heard some talk in the past. It looks like they pulled original 5&6 (crossing fairways), og 9&10 (right next to each other and the road coming in), og 12 (kitchen hole, so many lost discs), og 16 (crosses 13, I5) and 20-24 (never in play for tourney).

I live a couple hrs south so I won't claim local but I know the course very well and had heard some talk in the past. It looks like they pulled original 5&6 (crossing fairways), og 9&10 (right next to each other and the road coming in), og 12 (kitchen hole, so many lost discs), og 16 (crosses 13, I5) and 20-24 (never in play for tourney).
Pretty reasonable choices. Sort of a bummer it's shortened to 18 but I could imagine solid reasons for doing that. It does kind of take away from the de la experience though. The stress and grind of every shot potentially being disastrous and having to carry that stress for the extra holes was a real thing. Maybe not hugely significant but a loss nonetheless. Also, not playing the kitchen hole is lame. That's the only skipped hole I think will really be missed.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Listening to the pros whine about De La is kinda like music to my ears. it's crazy how for a course with SO much random luck involved, starting in 2012 the champions went:
mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
wysocki
mcbeth
wysocki
gurthie
hammes

if there was 1/2 the amount of luck involved that players are implying, I don't think mcbeth would have been able to win so many years in a row. even with the weaker fields of years past

Listening to the pros whine about De La is kinda like music to my ears. it's crazy how for a course with SO much random luck involved, starting in 2012 the champions went:
mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
wysocki
mcbeth
wysocki
gurthie
hammes

if there was 1/2 the amount of luck involved that players are implying, I don't think mcbeth would have been able to win so many years in a row. even with the weaker fields of years past

I've played that course many times, and I completely agree with you. I'd love any links or references of players whining about Dela. That's great.

mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
mcbeth
wysocki
mcbeth
wysocki
gurthie
hammes

no yer just wrong

macbeth is the luckiest player on tour

I don't mind the 18 hole layout, and I like a lot of the holes they kept.

Interesting they made I-5 (OG 13) a par 3 again. It was a par 4 either last year or '19, I don't remember which.

I don't mind the 18 hole layout, and I like a lot of the holes they kept.

Interesting they made I-5 (OG 13) a par 3 again. It was a par 4 either last year or '19, I don't remember which.
IIRC that was a pretty tweener-y hole, wasn't it?

I wonder if they've made any changes to make the approach to the basket off the tee more feasible than I remember it? Its the one Sexton banged during the Jomez Skins match, right?

I wonder if they've made any changes to make the approach to the basket off the tee more feasible than I remember it? Its the one Sexton banged during the Jomez Skins match, right?

That's the one. I can't confirm, but I doubt they made any changes to it. The distance isn't daunting, but it's just tricky to access the pin with the low ceiling and with all the late trees you almost have to get a lucky skip. I believe this, along with every other hole at De La should be a Par 3.

I pretty sure they don't really cut anything down there. Even when they made that par4 out of the "Jerk Tree" hole last year, they didn't really open that inside gap much if at all.

You have to get at least a fortunate skip or two if you want the birdie look. It's not an impossible two. It is strokes on a lot of players if you can get the birdie. I'm okay with this hole being a par 3, I didn't care for it being a par 4 the other year.

I wish they were playing this all three rounds instead of the golf course layout on Sunday. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same.

I've played that course many times, and I completely agree with you. I'd love any links or references of players whining about Dela. That's great.

the complaining really started last year, I'll try to dig up some if I can find anything. specifically I definitely remember Ezra and company complaining which has carried over to this year

Latest posts