• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Golf Guy - Vlog #364 - Step Putt Analysis for Ulibarri and Feldberg

My vote would be to leave the rules as-is regarding step putting. If it's an obvious violation beyond a shadow of a doubt, call it. Otherwise, don't. These are all too close to call in real time.

Why not put the onus on the thrower and require them to putt in a fashion that is obviously legal? If you want to step putt, do it like Feldberg and make it clear that it's legal.

The grey area in these quasi foot faults will come under more and more scrutiny as prise money rises.

Wait till 1st place gets $60k or 100k and 5th still gets 10k, then the rule will be challenged or changed.

But for now the difference in pay between 6-10th place just isn't big enough to get into a squabble on the course, but when it means thousands, we will probably have officials by then just like ball golf.

Marshalls with badges:gross:, just hopefully not TSA ones:thmbdown:

I really only have two ideas - one, lengthen the amount of space behind the lie we are allowed to utilize. then we can still step putt behind our lie.

Or, define what a putt is not by how close to the basket you are, but by the motions and general positions used. I think we can all agree that there are certain mechanics involved that are present in everybody's putts to make them functionally distinct from drives and approaches, and I can't fathom how someone could try to gain an advantage by changing how they fundamentally putt to skirt the rules.

Then, if one chooses to use this style of throw, one must not allow their feet/supporting points/whatever to travel beyond their lie. Basically, stay behind your damn disc until the disc hits the ground.

I think it would be hard to draw up, but defining a putt based on distance or area makes no sense when you don't actually have greens.

25 Meter circle. Inside you cannot follow through past your lie.

That would be really tough to eyeball -- you would think each group would have to carry a 100' tape measure.

That's true, but at that distance you are not worried about the follow-through past the marker.

I thought Uli's second putt was closest; it looked to me like his right foot might have come up before release.

I saw Uli putt at Endicott in a final 9 once. No question his putt was 100% illegal. He was in tall grass, and supported himself on probably hundreds of plants ahead of his lie before release.

The rule can be fixed using language like what is used in the rules of golf for addressing the ball. You are not allowed to touch the ball before hitting it. But, the burden is on the player to clearly follow the rule:

"Unless it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, the player incurs a one stroke penalty under Rule 18-2b for his ball in play moving after he addressed it. If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, there is no penalty under Rule 18-2b."

Unless it is known or virtually certain that the player did not commit a stance violation...

thus if it is too close to call in real time, it is a violation.

The rule can be fixed using language like what is used in the rules of golf for addressing the ball. You are not allowed to touch the ball before hitting it. But, the burden is on the player to clearly follow the rule:

"Unless it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, the player incurs a one stroke penalty under Rule 18-2b for his ball in play moving after he addressed it. If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, there is no penalty under Rule 18-2b."

Unless it is known or virtually certain that the player did not commit a stance violation...

thus if it is too close to call in real time, it is a violation.

Wow! The last time I saw a post from Bruce B. was in the old Disccussion board. BTW, I like this solution.

Latest posts