• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

jubuttib said:
Didn't Timko say that you can use it on any Discmania disc? Wonder if that meant in the same order...

I think Mark requires a minimum of 25 discs per mold, and 50 discs per order.

Timko said:
jubuttib said:
Didn't Timko say that you can use it on any Discmania disc? Wonder if that meant in the same order...

I think Mark requires a minimum of 25 discs per mold, and 50 discs per order.
Awww dangit... I don't want to order 25 P-DDs by myself!

... anybody interested in a disc that (according to discspeed) flies exactly like an Echo Star Wraith but is more readily available and costs less? ;)

Although on the course I'm still mainly throwing my FR S-PD, in the field my newer red S-PDs have the most glide and longest flight out of all my PDs. They really remind me of special blend Orcs.

So today i went to the local disc retailer and picked myself up a 168 Pink p-pd and a 175 s-pd. At Ewing, (des moines) I really went crazy on hole 10. I threw a 360 drive and landed it about 75 ft from the pin with the p-pd. It was not a great test for the disc but it was impressive. It annys really well. At league tonight, i was throwing it on every hole over 330 with pretty good results. I did toss the s-pd OB on a hole that I think I have gone OB like 2 times before. It seemed to slip out of my hand early a couple of times. I feel my disc lineup has changed a lot more this year that I anticipated. So question, whats the better fairway overstable disc to go with it, the firebird or the pred? I really like how the firebird feels in my hand and it flies ok for me, but I love how a pred flies, but it feels awful in my hand and for tommys.

arowan21 said:
So today i went to the local disc retailer and picked myself up a 168 Pink p-pd and a 175 s-pd. At Ewing, (des moines) I really went crazy on hole 10. I threw a 360 drive and landed it about 75 ft from the pin with the p-pd. It was not a great test for the disc but it was impressive. It annys really well. At league tonight, i was throwing it on every hole over 330 with pretty good results. I did toss the s-pd OB on a hole that I think I have gone OB like 2 times before. It seemed to slip out of my hand early a couple of times. I feel my disc lineup has changed a lot more this year that I anticipated. So question, whats the better fairway overstable disc to go with it, the firebird or the pred? I really like how the firebird feels in my hand and it flies ok for me, but I love how a pred flies, but it feels awful in my hand and for tommys.

WTF...who's carrying Discmania in Des Moines? Scheels or Jay's CD and Hobby? Or somebody else?

A lot of people are recommending the XXX over the Firebird and Predator these days. Assuming you have a 12x Firebird, the XXX should be more overstable than both of them.

Aaron_D said:
I threw an x pred today... :x

Dare I say it?

My PD trifecta reminds me very much of when I was throwing all Discraft and using the beat pro Tsunami/sparkle Tsunami/Z Pred trifecta. I think the PD is slightly faster, and the Tsunamis had a touch more glide.

Unity said:
WTF...who's carrying Discmania in Des Moines? Scheels or Jay's CD and Hobby? Or somebody else?

A lot of people are recommending the XXX over the Firebird and Predator these days. Assuming you have a 12x Firebird, the XXX should be more overstable than both of them.

Jays cd on 14th was carrying the pd :) they still have a shit load of p1, cd and dd

victorb said:
booter said:
I think you shpuld get another p and/or s . That one you have seems to be a dud

I might just do that. People with bigger arms than I have said that they are fairly stable like a teebird, but I have good enough form to throw a comet 300' without flipping and a stalker 375' without turning too hard, so I'm thinking it almost (?) definitely is the disc.

I was absolutely crushing my bomb girl surge today though, so I'm not sure it will make the bag after all :p

glad to hear your still crushing that disc and making that stencil live up to its design!

Aaron_D said:
So question, whats the better fairway overstable disc to go with it, the firebird or the pred?

I think the z pred > champ pd.

They are strange to compare, especially since there has only been one run of C-PDs. For example, any Z Pred I've had that was as flat and stiff as my C-PDs was XXX overstable. The nicer Z Preds have more dome and lift/glide. These domier Preds are a little less overstable, which makes them fly more like the C-PDs, but still a little more stable. The thing is, when the wind picks up the dome on the Pred is a liability, giving at times too much air bounce and also slowing the disc down. The flat C-PD cuts the wind really well in the wind, but headwinds delay the fade making the disc fly more like its PD brethren when there is no wind.

I had my longest PD throw ever today with my domey 172g red champy-star production PD. I ripped it flat with a slight tailwind and it turned slowly and came back. I don't have measurements, but I'm pretty confident it was at least 450'.

Aaron_D said:
So question, whats the better fairway overstable disc to go with it, the firebird or the pred?

I'm really liking the C-PD for FH (I dumped the Z Pred for it). I didn't like the bead...it was killing my release. The C-PD isn't as overstable as the Z Pred was for me, but it resists a turn almost as well, and it doesn't fade as hard. I never threw the 11x Firebird, so I can't compare it to that. I feel like it is pretty comparable to a beat in 12x that I threw before I tried the Z Pred.

Unity said:
Aaron_D said:

I'm really liking the C-PD for FH (I dumped the Z Pred for it). I didn't like the bead...it was killing my release. The C-PD isn't as overstable as the Z Pred was for me, but it resists a turn almost as well, and it doesn't fade as hard. I never threw the 11x Firebird, so I can't compare it to that. I feel like it is pretty comparable to a beat in 12x that I threw before I tried the Z Pred.

I'm really liking my C-PD for FH as well. I haven't dumped my xxx for it yet though.

what'shisname said:
Unity said:

I'm really liking my C-PD for FH as well. I haven't dumped my xxx for it yet though.

I'm actually planning on picking one up for windier days. The C-PD will hold a hyzer into mild winds, but when the wind really picks up I'd like something more overstable.

Unity said:
what'shisname said:
Unity said:

I'm actually planning on picking one up for windier days. The C-PD will hold a hyzer into mild winds, but when the wind really picks up I'd like something more overstable.

I had one that I threw in to 25 mph winds and that's where it really shone. That thing got loooooooong in big winds. I still wouldn't kick out a true overstable driver for it though.