• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Timko said:
I like the PD.

P1000214.JPG

Pretty picture. We need more posts like this.

Fizzy said:
Booter said:

I missed a previous discussion about this?
The PD doesn't usually have a +mold rim, but Innova screwed up the newest production run of C-Line and put in the wrong core piece (happened with the C-TD too). There are still stock stamped CFR-run C-PDs around though, so you're going to have to keep your eyes open.

Easiest way to tell: Non-plus molds have patent# tooling, whereas the slanted ones lack it.

jubuttib said:
The PD doesn't usually have a +mold rim, but Innova screwed up the newest production run of C-Line and put in the wrong core piece (happened with the C-TD too). There are still stock stamped CFR-run C-PDs around though, so you're going to have to keep your eyes open.

Easiest way to tell: Non-plus molds have patent# tooling, whereas the slanted ones lack it.

Wait... some production stamped C-PDs may be the same as the CFR ones?

On that note...are the CFR ones the ones with the patent# tooling? I don't have any of mine handy to check out right now.

himynameismatt said:
Just bought a couple of the CFR mold, Production C-line PD's. They're both flat and weigh about 171g.

From my understanding these should be more stable than the regular production run C-Lines correct?

I'm looking for a meathook C-PD to duke it out with my Pred's as my wind fighting control driver.

I'm skeptical of this as IIRC there were people on here that wanted some non-max weight CFR CPDs when they first showed up on DGV and they were all listed as max...SO it would seem strange that they would have some 171s and throw them in with the production run at that weight.

I think he is talking about the AO C-PDs. All the ones I got from DGV were max weight and are stable as hell.

Ya, I know the AO ones were the only ones available through DGV and all max weights. My DGR 168 CFR PD is just as stable as my AO ones though.

Don't forget about the Big D in the Desert C-PDs that DGV sold as well. All of those were supposed to be max weight.

The DGR PDs that I purchased were not as stable as the Big D or AOs. The SPDs I got seemed to be as stable as my FR SPDs which I love.

So, I am tentatively planning on ordering 4-6 PDs (my first) in the next week or so. I am hoping to get to paw one before then but may not be able to. I throw TBs, and TLs primarily so I think the PDs should be a good fit.

I plan on ordering from DGV as they seem to be the cheapest. Having read back to page 75 or so in this thread it seems like there have been certain colors and or domes that have worked better. Is there anything I should request, dome or color wise? I am planning on getting 2 Ps, 2 Ss, and 1 or 2 Cs.

Rogue9 said:
So, I am tentatively planning on ordering 4-6 PDs (my first) in the next week or so. I am hoping to get to paw one before then but may not be able to. I throw TBs, and TLs primarily so I think the PDs should be a good fit.

I plan on ordering from DGV as they seem to be the cheapest. Having read back to page 75 or so in this thread it seems like there have been certain colors and or domes that have worked better. Is there anything I should request, dome or color wise? I am planning on getting 2 Ps, 2 Ss, and 1 or 2 Cs.

Since there really no bad PDs and everyone has their preferences I would just take what you get and start from there...But if you must know, here are my tastes:

PPD--I like either the really stiff ones with a moderate dome (I don't like flat discs), or the medium stiffness ones with poppy domes (favorite).

SPD--These are my favorites and if I had to choose one plastic for my PDs this would be it. I like soft red champystar or stiff yellow champystar. Beyond those special runs I seem to have the best luck with poppy top white or orange SPDs...They start out nice and overstable and break in beautifully.

CPD--I haven't seen too many different types in the production run. I can say the flatter ones are a little less stable than the domey ones. The CFRs are stable pigs. Overall I think I like the domey production runs the best.

I know I'm going get some flack for saying this but the PD, while being a good disc, is overrated. To clarify, I've had them in the bag for sometime, practiced a lot with them, and played several rounds with them, but I've had this nagging intuition that they are over-hyped.

Let me explain:

Distance wise, their isn't a huge gap between the PD and the Teebird (360-380 avg., 400 max). Actually, I've thrown the Teebird further than the PD. When I try to power on a PPD it flips quickly without coming back. The finesse that you have to put on a PPD can, imo, cause you to misread the amount of power it can handle or that you're suppose to put in it, causing it to hyzer out too much or flip like crazy. The PPD is too unreliable to be a consistent thrower for power. Maybe at lower ranges, but if you are going to throw the PPD at a 300-330 or so hole, why not use something that will get there that's just as reliable and easier to gauge? The PPD is too finicky.

The problem with the SPD is that it loses distance potential putting itself in the category of slower drivers.The SPD, while workable, doesn't have the same capacity to go as far as the P. Speaking of line shaping, one could pull off the same shots with an eagle or a beat Pred.

I think that the problem that contributes to this is that the PD is not a true stable disc. If it were then the PPD would be a faster Teebird not a faster, more finicky TL; the SPD would be a better wind fighter; the CPD would be the spike hyzer, utility disc.There is some correlation now to those shots with the current mold, but if the PD was a true stable disc then you would have a more reliable mold and natural compliment with the TD. As of now, there is too much overlap.

I know some have said that the PD is a faster Teebird, imo, it's not. I think what you have is higher grade plastic adding gyroscopic stability mimicking the flight patterns of a Teebird. With that said, I think the PD is a good mold but I don't think it deserves the amount of hype that it gets.

It sounds like u just cant make the sunshine shoot out of the pds butt. I think the pd just doesnt like you.

Srsly though,it might just not work for u,its not gonna be the perfect driver for everybody.but I guarantee that if it worked for u ,you wouldnt be saying its overhyped.just stick to ur tbirds.

If the pd was overhyped,dnt u think that half of the people who've been throwin them,would of stopped throwing em? Theres a reason alot of people throw them ,imo I think its getting the credit it deserves. The nuke was an overhyped disc...which is why alot of people went back to destroyers ,forces,xcals etc

Booter said:
If the pd was overhyped,dnt u think that half of the people who've been throwin them,would of stopped throwing em? Theres a reason alot of people throw them ,imo I think its getting the credit it deserves. The nuke was an overhyped disc...which is why alot of people went back to destroyers ,forces,xcals etc

I've gotta agree with Booter. I keep trying to switch back to Teebirds and TLs from my assortment of PDs, and I just cannot do it. The PD just seems to work much better in a much wider variety of situations. True, they are not much longer than Teebirds/TLs, but I've only ever expected them to be marginally longer (~20-30 feet or so), so its never been an issue for me.

And about your P-PD sunspot...sounds like you have a pretty crappy one. I've had a flippy POS and a couple stable dream discs. Sounds like you've experienced the former.

Yea when the ppds came out with the anhyzer top,the first couple runs were pretty consistent. Straighter than slines but could still handle some wind. later I stocked up and they became inconsistant. Flippy,some beefier than new spds and some that I was used to. I stopped throwing them because of this and because I beat in a couple spds so that prob was solved. The pd is faster than the tb. Tbs are speed 7 & pds are speed 10 so yes.its faster.

sunspot said:
I know I'm going get some flack for saying this but the PD, while being a good disc, is overrated. To clarify, I've had them in the bag for sometime, practiced a lot with them, and played several rounds with them, but I've had this nagging intuition that they are over-hyped.

Let me explain:

Distance wise, their isn't a huge gap between the PD and the Teebird (360-380 avg., 400 max). Actually, I've thrown the Teebird further than the PD.

If you are talking net distance on any line, then I agree with you. Teebirds have more glide and can go just as far with more height as a PD. However, the PD can go farther with less effort on lower lines than the TB. The lower the line, the greater the distance gap

sunspot said:
When I try to power on a PPD it flips quickly without coming back. The finesse that you have to put on a PPD can, imo, cause you to misread the amount of power it can handle or that you're suppose to put in it, causing it to hyzer out too much or flip like crazy. The PPD is too unreliable to be a consistent thrower for power. Maybe at lower ranges, but if you are going to throw the PPD at a 300-330 or so hole, why not use something that will get there that's just as reliable and easier to gauge? The PPD is too finicky.

As others have explained, the latest runs of PPDs have been crazy. I only have my original beat PPD in my bag, which started out overstable. I hope they will run some more good ones eventually. For some reason it seems Innova really experimented with their pro plastic with the last run as discs ranged from stiff as a board to gummy. Almost all the new runs are pancake flat as well, and that's one of the biggest problems imo.

sunspot said:
The problem with the SPD is that it loses distance potential putting itself in the category of slower drivers.The SPD, while workable, doesn't have the same capacity to go as far as the P. Speaking of line shaping, one could pull off the same shots with an eagle or a beat Pred.

Without tailwind my beat SPDs always outdistance my PPDs...They are in the category of slower drivers and replace Eagles/Preds rather than distance drivers. The SPD does the same lines/distances as Eagles/beat Preds, but with less effort and better wind resistance.

sunspot said:
I think that the problem that contributes to this is that the PD is not a true stable disc. If it were then the PPD would be a faster Teebird not a faster, more finicky TL; the SPD would be a better wind fighter; the CPD would be the spike hyzer, utility disc.There is some correlation now to those shots with the current mold, but if the PD was a true stable disc then you would have a more reliable mold and natural compliment with the TD. As of now, there is too much overlap.

True stability is a myth. All discs turn at some speed and fade at another. Some discs (like the TB) hold their line across a wide range of speed. I just don't like the sound of the term "true stable" because it sounds absolute. Anyway, this is a useful characteristic at times, but more than not it limits a disc's versatility. Also, the Teebird was not a reliable disc in Pro plastic either. It was flippy...very far from "true stable".

sunspot said:
I know some have said that the PD is a faster Teebird, imo, it's not. I think what you have is higher grade plastic adding gyroscopic stability mimicking the flight patterns of a Teebird. With that said, I think the PD is a good mold but I don't think it deserves the amount of hype that it gets.

I've always said that the PD was more a turn and fade Eagle type disc than a Teebird. It is more towards the Teebird side of things when compared to the OLF, but only in that context. Overall I feel the PD is disc that is best worked from a slight hyzer. The new Champs and many of the SPDs are great hyzer discs and wind fighters...You can't OAT them turned over into a headwind, but they are still good. I think the PD deserves every bit of hype it gets and the TB may be the most overrated driver ever.

The best testament to the Gospel of the PD is the fact that most of the people who have been throwing them the longest are infamous disc whores who try everything new and love any excuse to switch to new and better molds...but the PD creates dependency.

Latest posts