• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

I like to start by saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong. 8)

Booter said:
It sounds like u just cant make the sunshine shoot out of the pds butt.

The PD is to sunshine as the Teebird is to the sun. You can't have sunshine without it's source, the "sun." 8)

I think the pd just doesnt like you.
The zombie stamp doesn't like me. I think it's because I don't like brains. 8)

Srsly though,it might just not work for u,its not gonna be the perfect driver for everybody.but I guarantee that if it worked for u ,you wouldnt be saying its overhyped.just stick to ur tbirds.

It worked for me until I realized that I could do as much with something that was slower. 8)

Booter said:
If the pd was overhyped,dnt u think that half of the people who've been throwin them,would of stopped throwing em? Theres a reason alot of people throw them ,imo I think its getting the credit it deserves.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good mold. However, It's not without it's imperfections. I do think that people having it the bag for an extended period of time shows the evidence that it's a good mold. On the other hand, there has been people who have thrown it and taken it out of their bags only to go back to more trusted molds. That's not to say they don't like the PD it's just that it didn't suit their preferences. 8)

The nuke was an overhyped disc...which is why alot of people went back to destroyers ,forces,xcals etc
I don't throw discs that rhyme with puke. 8)

Unity said:
I've gotta agree with Booter. I keep trying to switch back to Teebirds and TLs from my assortment of PDs, and I just cannot do it. The PD just seems to work much better in a much wider variety of situations. True, they are not much longer than Teebirds/TLs, but I've only ever expected them to be marginally longer (~20-30 feet or so), so its never been an issue for me.

If I had 400+ average distance then there might be a bigger difference between the two. As of right now it's negligible.

And about your P-PD sunspot...sounds like you have a pretty crappy one. I've had a flippy POS and a couple stable dream discs. Sounds like you've experienced the former.

I wish the PPD was more consistent and had a tad more HSS.

discspeed said:
If you are talking net distance on any line, then I agree with you. Teebirds have more glide and can go just as far with more height as a PD. However, the PD can go farther with less effort on lower lines than the TB. The lower the line, the greater the distance gap

In my experience the difference of height wasn't that significant. The PD may penetrate a lower line better but the Teebird wasn't that far off.

As others have explained, the latest runs of PPDs have been crazy. I only have my original beat PPD in my bag, which started out overstable. I hope they will run some more good ones eventually. For some reason it seems Innova really experimented with their pro plastic with the last run as discs ranged from stiff as a board to gummy. Almost all the new runs are pancake flat as well, and that's one of the biggest problems imo.

It would be nice if they did have some that were similar to the more stable PPDs. That's one thing that has irk me.

Without tailwind my beat SPDs always outdistance my PPDs...They are in the category of slower drivers and replace Eagles/Preds rather than distance drivers. The SPD does the same lines/distances as Eagles/beat Preds, but with less effort and better wind resistance.

I'm not really disputing that the SPD can't shape lines like an Eagle/beat Pred. I was just saying that someone can throw something that's similar in relation to the same lines. I do think it is easier to get Eagleish lines out of a PD while throwing it further. I will say, and we may disagree, that the Eagle and Pred are more predictable at coming out of a turn than a PD. I'm not saying that a PD can't or doesn't come back but that the Eagle and Pred may be somewhat more predictable.

True stability is a myth. All discs turn at some speed and fade at another. Some discs (like the TB) hold their line across a wide range of speed. I just don't like the sound of the term "true stable" because it sounds absolute. Anyway, this is a useful characteristic at times, but more than not it limits a disc's versatility. Also, the Teebird was not a reliable disc in Pro plastic either. It was flippy...very far from "true stable".

True stability is a myth?? YOU GO AGAINST BLAKE?????!??! YOU TRAITOR!!!! ARE YOU FROM DGCR???

Cerealiously, whether or not that true stable is an "absolute" gauge to measure the stability of a disc, I do think it's a good standard to go by.

I've always said that the PD was more a turn and fade Eagle type disc than a Teebird. It is more towards the Teebird side of things when compared to the OLF, but only in that context. Overall I feel the PD is disc that is best worked from a slight hyzer. The new Champs and many of the SPDs are great hyzer discs and wind fighters...You can't OAT them turned over into a headwind, but they are still good. I think the PD deserves every bit of hype it gets and the TB may be the most overrated driver ever.

I'm not hating, the PD is a good disc. It is a versatile mold, but I think there are other options that are just as good as the PD.

How is the Teebird the most overrated driver ever?

The best testament to the Gospel of the PD is the fact that most of the people who have been throwing them the longest are infamous disc whores who try everything new and love any excuse to switch to new and better molds...but the PD creates dependency.

PD creates dependency like crack creates dependency, but it don't mean you should try it.

Seriously, I understand your point. I do think that's a good testament to the PD. For me, having something that's slower that can be thrown as far and sometimes further while making the discrepancies seem negligible makes me want to stick to the mold that's easier to control and grip.

One negative about the PD that you haven't mentioned but is completely evident by your posts is that they have not been terribly consistent. If you got to test the variety of different PDs that I consider "the good ones" I think you may like them better.

The Teebird is pretty overrated. I can't think of any other driver that is more widely romanticized, yet it is not a very versatile disc. I also live in total Innova country and I get tired of the herd mentality when it comes to disc selection. The Teebird is a fine disc and I do like it plenty, but I often see people using it who would be better off with something less stable.
It not the disc that is the problem, it's the thousands of people who think that they are somehow like Climo for carrying it. Climo doesn't carry Teebirds made in the last decade.

I also concede that the PD is not for everyone. I like pushing my putters and mids out farther than most, so traditional "fairway" speed drivers have never really worked in my bag. The PD works perfect for this, and in turn I like to push it out to 400' or so before I disc up to a faster driver. So it ends up occupying a huge range in my bag as I'll use PDs for shots as short as 300' as well (or shorter if it's a spike shot). My home courses have a huge number of shots in the 350'-360' range as well, and that is a distance where the PD has an advantage over both faster and slower drivers.

I dropped my PDs to go back to teebirds, leopard, and firebirds. The PDs were too fast for what I wanted them to do and created a gap between my mids and fairway drivers that I found impossible to fill. It took me 3 molds to replace the one, but my game has been much better off with the three than throwing a mold that was too fast for what I wanted it do and and having to throw a slower mold that I never got along with.

rusch_bag said:
I dropped my PDs to go back to teebirds, leopard, and firebirds. The PDs were too fast for what I wanted them to do and created a gap between my mids and fairway drivers that I found impossible to fill. It took me 3 molds to replace the one, but my game has been much better off with the three than throwing a mold that was too fast for what I wanted it do and and having to throw a slower mold that I never got along with.

The PDs are like your OLF and OLS more than the three discs you mention above.

I agree that the PD is way overated arround here, though I also agree it is a good disc. I don't think it is nearly as versitle as evary of says, i dont really think anything that speed is. I will give it one thing, along with OLF's they are wickedly long for a 1.9 cm rim. Also they are not 0 hss, I personally dont use them because once seasoned if you turn them over them don't come back. That is also true of TB's but TB's won't turn from hyser

J Espi said:
I agree that the PD is way overated arround here, though I also agree it is a good disc. I don't think it is nearly as versitle as evary of says, i dont really think anything that speed is. I will give it one thing, along with OLF's they are wickedly long for a 1.9 cm rim. Also they are not 0 hss, I personally dont use them because once seasoned if you turn them over them don't come back. That is also true of TB's but TB's won't turn from hyser

I completely disagree...When they come back is completely up to the angle and speed you put on them. If it's windy or I absolutely need to be certain my PD is going to come back I just flex an overstable one from and anhyzer release and I can totally trust it.

I've messed with a lot of discs, and the only thing I've found that has come close to the PD's versatility was the Tsunami/Pred combination of discs.

I'm glad they work for you discspeed, I throw them on occasion, as they are my brothers go to driver. Knowing nothing about you I would assume you throw with a lot of hyser and crush buzzz's to like PD's show much. Personally I like eagles as a versatile driver and throw them whenever possible. I don't think anything negative about the PD, I just agree with the earlier poster that they are a little overrated arround here.

I was probably the first person to have and throw the PD on here and they are no longer in my bag(except for the stabilized CFR run). I love the PD mold and it has been in and out of my bag since they first day they were released. I have thrown every variation of the mold there is and I have fond a use for all of them.

However, I throw the EagleX and Z Preds of varying stabilities and I have never looked back. I have found both the EagleX and Pred are significantly better/more consistent at shaping lines than the PD. I love the PD when new but once they get good and beat I didnt care for how fast they would flip or how inconsistent they were of coming out of the turn. I have several beat eagles and Z Preds and I get a much more consistent turn and flex back. My low PLH/beat Z Preds are every bit as long as the PD and seem to have more glide. Also they perform much better on windy days than the PD ever did for me.

I definitely can see the value in the PD, hell I still have several of them just in case I want to revisit them. However, after extensive testing the past couple years I have found the EagleX/Z Pred combo to be much better than the PD.

I will say though the stabilized CFR PD is amazing and kicked out the FBs that I was throwing for damn near 10 years. In the end if the PD works for ya throw it, its a great mold. If you dont like the PD try an EagleX and/or Z Pred. I also think the PD is much more Eagle like than Teebird like

discspeed said:
I also concede that the PD is not for everyone. I like pushing my putters and mids out farther than most, so traditional "fairway" speed drivers have never really worked in my bag. The PD works perfect for this, and in turn I like to push it out to 400' or so before I disc up to a faster driver. So it ends up occupying a huge range in my bag as I'll use PDs for shots as short as 300' as well (or shorter if it's a spike shot). My home courses have a huge number of shots in the 350'-360' range as well, and that is a distance where the PD has an advantage over both faster and slower drivers.

This pretty much sums up why I throw them and why I have such a hard time switching back to other fairways. When my Teebird goes ~20 feet farther than my Buzzz on an average golf line/shot, why throw it? With the PD I'm getting ~40 feet farther, and its a lot easier to justify discing up in that situation. This is all assuming I'm not throwing some shot that requires significantly shorter distance to execute...more of a hyzer to flat or shallow turnover.

J Espi said:
I'm glad they work for you discspeed, I throw them on occasion, as they are my brothers go to driver. Knowing nothing about you I would assume you throw with a lot of hyser and crush buzzz's to like PD's show much. Personally I like eagles as a versatile driver and throw them whenever possible. I don't think anything negative about the PD, I just agree with the earlier poster that they are a little overrated arround here.

I actually like to throw flat/slight hyzer for most my shots...I throw my beat PDs with hyzer, but my more stable PDs see more action. I do push my mids and putters out more than most and I think this is why I don't miss slower drivers too much. The fact that I hate underpowered shots with distance drivers also accounts for my love for the PD, because I'm not going carry a full range of driver stabilities in 3 different speeds. I only pull out the D drivers if I can't reach something comfortably with my PD. I've also been playing for over ten years...I wouldn't have been comfortable without slower stuff at an earlier point in my playing career.

The PD is the first disc in any slot that I've actually achieved minimalism with and been satisfied.

J Espi said:
Why would u think he throws with alot of hyzer? I throw mine flat and have no problems with them coming back,even my beat spd. Pds not overhyped,this is just a thread for people who love the pd and it s versatility. Not everyone is gonna throw it but it seems that nearly every person ive heard say the pd is.over hyped,they just had bad experiences with them. Like I said earlier,if it worked for u,it wouldnt be overhyped now would it?

disc junkie said:
/snip (it was a long post)

I keep trying to move away from my PDs, mostly because I'm assuming the stabilized CFRs aren't going to be easy to find in the future. Eagle-X and Predator sounds like it could be a good alternative. I'll have to try it out when I've got a bit more money to blow on discs.

Anyone notice that most calling the PD "overrated" have the OLF in their bag? :problem:

O btw,i sometimes throw my beat spd into headwinds without problems. I dont know what your experiencing with them just turning and not coming back.snds like.ur a torque monkey j espi

.yea mike...i do haha. Seems like also that the people who dont like them also,are hyzer flippers.i know frank didnt care for pds because hes used to his stuff for hyzer flipping. Pds just work better for flat throwers unless its a seasoned pd.

Like i said ,if the pd did work for u guys who call it overhyped,you wouldnt be calling it overhyped. Sounds just like an excuse for disappointment that it didnt work foryall.

More pds for me

discspeed said:
rusch_bag said:

The PDs are like your OLF and OLS more than the three discs you mention above.

I haven't updated my sig in awhile. I don't have anything in between my fairway drivers and destroyers these days. Found anything in between not necessary.

I love this disc for sidearm and it does well for OH in the C-line.

sunspot said:
I don't throw discs that rhyme with puke.

but, but, puke doesn't rhyme with Nuke when you say it normally out loud.

I still love my PD's. Is it okay to talk about them here or is that adding too much to the overhype machine? My love has waned a little I suppose since I paired them up with the TD's but it's still pretty damn strong.

J Espi said:
I personally dont use them because once seasoned if you turn them over them don't come back.
Ya, I actually have a PPD in my bag for exactly that shot. Definitely flippier than my beat up old Eagles. But otoh my SPD is a great headwind driver and has never turned over on me. I wouldn't say it's any more predictable than a new Eagle-x, but it does go a bit farther.

Latest posts