• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The shot you're MOST proud of

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
This has probably been done to death, but being a newbie with an extremely lazy search button,I gotta ask: What is the throw you're most proud of?

Doesn't have to be a one-shot back eagle to force a playoff in a tournament. I'm not picky. Could be a long drive, a lay up to set up a birdie, or a long putt. Lord knows I haven't even played enough to have a story about a greatest shot. I'd just like to hear about the throws you who have been around a while are most proud of.....no witnesses required.

Being a n00b with a basic understanding of the game but also possessing enough experience to appreciate how tough it can be, I'd love to hear your stories.

Ready, set....go.

Easy.

I've brought my girl out golfing a bunch. She's seen me hit metal but never saw an ace.

My parents have talked about joining me for a round for a while, but it never did happen.

Recently went on vacation and finally brought my parents out for a round. Was real happy to have them with me, and really wanted to show them some cool stuff and make them proud, you know?

Third hole of the round....

Runner up would be hitting metal on my second shot on a 1,000' par 5.

Don't have video like Mike; but mine would be when I described the (non-obvious) route a disc would have to take for an ace, then threw the route and got the ace.

I've mentioned this before, but your thread made me think again about my favorite true story related to my throws with flying discs.

Heavily into Frisbees in the 70's, I learned to throw 'Weyand' style (pretty much today's Tomahawk throw). Loved the way the disc traced an inverted S curve through the air. Got pretty good at it, and wanted to show it off to some friends as we passed through the High School gym. Thinking I'd hit the backboard and impress them, I said "Hey watch this!" and threw from full court. To my surprise, and their amazement, it went through the hoop with "nothing but net" (before that term was even popularized)!

They said, "You could never do that again in a million years!", so I picked up my disc, turned around, and flung it down there the other way. To MY amazement, it swished again!!! :D I trotted down, all cool, picked up my disc, and walked out as if I could do it any time I wanted to...

Pretty nice feeling. And obviously one to remember all my life.

Unfortunately, that was 1978. I started playing disc golf in 2011. I've gotten some decent aces, and some really satisfying field shots for birdies, but nothing's topped that memory for me...yet! :eek:

A 100' approach that went dead straight, hit the edge of the basket and in. I was trying for a lay up and it had just enough steam to make it. I can still see it in my mind. A red disc against a green background. It was pretty.

I hit a shot from about 100 ft out. The basket was uphill, but pretty open. Not really an amazing shot compared to many, but my favorite.

I think sinking shots unexpectedly from outside jump putt range is one of the coolest feelings. The buddy of mine I started golfing with who since gave it up, I'll never forget his coolest shot. #2 at Oak Ledges, we were both only months into DG. His drive got knocked down, had about a 100' look downhill at the basket...threw his pro rhyno on a laser and drilled it.

Miss throwing with him. When we started I'd look up new courses all the time on here and we'd go play them together and have fun getting lost trying to figure out the holes.

Mine is a sequence of shots recently. My wife one day said she wanted to go play the 9 holer down the street before the kids got home from school. So we went up there to play. First hole is 290ft and slightly downhill. Fresh out of the car, grab my 13 year old dx classic roc and softy it out left of the basket knowing it would turn over and float...only this time it floated right into the basket. Then 3 holes later, stepped up to a 175 ft hole that has an seven foot wide fairway that slightly turns right the whole way and threw the same classic down the pipe and hit another ace.

blind 100 foot throw that I assumed I wouldn't make so I just kinda half tossed it and started to pick up my stuff to go down and putt. heard chains and my brother's friend who was coming up from putting that hole looks and says "nice shot" to which i reply "did that go in?" felt great, haven't been able to replicate it since

I had a few good shots to secure a sweet comeback a few weeks ago but one stands out as my favoriate shot ever.

The tourament is the Maine Players Championship in AM1. This is my second year playing in Maine. Last year I made lead card for the final round of this same championship. Alas I played poor in the rain, dropped back to 9th and told myself, "o well you'll have to stay down in Am and win it next year."

Well flash forward a year. I qualify easy, play a few events in open for experience, and eventually am tied for the lead after the first round after putting up a 970 (unofficially because it was unsanctioned) rated 50 on the easy course at woodland valley. Round two. Hold it together and am again tied for the lead after shooting a 954 rated on the tougher course. The scores are really bunched up though, tie for first, third is one back, fourth two back and so on.

Begin final round, I immidately 5 the 850 foot first hole, now tied for lead, a few holes later I'm already behind. For the remainder of the round I remain 1 or 2 stokes back, letting opportunities slip away but playing solid enough to tread water (no unforced errors).

This continues until there are only three holes left. On 16 the leader and I both out it to 25 ish and make our putts. Now I'm really sweating it. I needed a stoke on 16 and am now two strokes back with two to play. Not a pleasent prospect.

So I throw a FH hyzer on the next hole because I try to always hyzer into steep slopes particulary when I'm fighting off nerves. Here is the hole.
3e77b59d2381ba2a0a9322fd84dc23fd.jpg

We threw from a different pad but either way I turned my shot too much and threw my disc down the hill about 70 feet below the basket. To make it worse the hill made it perhaps play like 100. I can't really remember any of there next lead up but I think for the whole walk to the disc and setup I was just saying to myself, "hit the putt...hit the ****in putt....hit the putt...."

Next thing I do remember is taking a practice jump and feeling really smooth and just like it was supposed to. Then I hardly remember letting go, just the disc flying through air; a little old 150 aviar I carry only for these shots...it looks high enough....a bit left of the chains....some high speed turn....and OH MY GOD did that just stay in!?! .....IT DID! At this point I must have looked like a real maniac because I wanted to scream and get excited but I also knew I had more golf as well as I needed to be a good sport. So I grabbed my bag and clapped my hands once and speed walked up to grab my disc and go stand on the next tee pad while the others cleaned up their pars.

Well that was it. My greatest shot which I am most proud of. I really know I was in the zone leading up to it because of the lack of memory then. It must have been all concentration and a little posotive mantra. Anyway to finish the story I parke the next wide open shot FH fire chicken real quick, like the second the rest of the group walks up I had already rehearsed, and I take two steps and park it to 15 feet on auto piolet. Mind you I am still down a stroke, but I feel like I already won for some reason.

So he throws like 80 short, doesn't know the score, thinks it's a tie when he is actually up by one, throws too far taking a run, and misses his 30 foot come backer for me to win. It was all about the doubt though. :D

Might be a tie:

First one happened when I was with my father in law. We were at a campground that our church denomination runs that has an 18 hole course on it. It's mostly a pitch and putt course, but at least it was a chance to play disc golf. He decided to come with me to see what all this disc golf nonsense was about. Fourth or fifth hole in I threw a blind 200' shot with my beat to hell Pro D Challenger up and over the hill and heard chain. I ran up the hill, and sure enough, I managed to get an ace on the sorriest excuse for a disc golf basket I have ever seen. I was happy he was there to witness that one.

The second is a shot that I threw on hole 6 (long position) at Maytag Park in Newton, IA. The shot is 400' or so and I can usually reach it with a fairway driver (in this case my old stalker). I pulled it out of the bag, and everyone was ragging on me about how there was no way I could throw 400' with a stalker. I just kept quiet and threw my shot. Unfortunately I hit one of the first trees off the pad, but my disc just skipped off and kept on going...the whole 400' and landed directly under the basket. I'm talking handicap parked. Nobody questioned my distance ability or my disc selection after that.

For me, it's still my lonely ace at Blendon Woods. Sure, it was just a baby 146 footer on hole 14 with a Magic, but still takes some skill for a right hand backhand anhyzer. I walked up to the teepad and told my son and nephew "I'm gonna ace this real quick," and that's exactly what I did. I couldn't have drawn up a more perfect line as it floated cleanly right into the center of the pole.

That's a neat story menacewarf. Nice job keeping everything together :)

Thanks. Someone was walking in as I finished writing it. The last line should read

"It was all about the putt though"

Not "doubt". Whoops:eek: luckily I didn't have doubt then :)

I have three throws in my past that stick in my memory more than others.

One was a putt from 50', one was this year at a course in Columbus and the other was with an Ultimate glow disc years ago in a cave while spelunking.

A two-way tie for me. I struggled mightily for years learning to throw a good backhand, especially a decent turnover, so...

(1) Turnover ace on Begg Park #18, just the way I planned and everything (even if it was with a beaten-up 9x KC Gazelle at around 240' or so). My last ace, 6 years ago, and the only ace since 2000. (but I have 9 from '96-'00...)

(2) Back when David Feldberg was still in Am-1 (and just barely), he had a terrible day and I had a great day at the '99 or '00 DGLO, so we were on the same card for round two, maybe the third card? I mentioned my backhand troubles prior to teeing off on Monster #1 at Hudson Mills, but reached back and pulled a great one, pinning it from the short tee (Ams were playing short tees during that tournament). "What do you mean you can't throw a backhand?" he said. (Nevermind that it was with a beaten-up Pegasus...)

Now that I think about it, I do vividly remember it being on Hudson Mills Monster #1 (the newer tees in the woods, not the old one out in the open to the left), but why would we be on the third card on the first hole? Maybe it wasn't the third card? I've been telling this story for years like that, maybe rationalizing why the likes of me was with David Feldberg in a big tournament. I'm really not that good of a player at all. Decent game within 300', but after that, it's where I'm separated from the men...

A deuce on hole 18, Original Hudson Mills, league round circa 1997, from about mid fairway, and telling a pro/adv player about it the next week, and having him reply that it was the only hole on that course that he hadn't 2'd yet. That one has stuck with me.

Last month I was playing at tournament at CHU in Denver, and after going out of bounds was staring at this for bogie:
30d1681a_m.jpg

The notch in the tree is cut perfectly for a righty to putt it in, but being a lefty I had to pull out the forehand putt to have any chance. I step up, fire it through, and it somehow stays in chains going 100 mph. I've never been more thrilled from a bogie!

Latest posts