• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Vibram Birdie Bash!

i got 170-172 also. i'd guess that there were a lot more events registered than expected and lighter weights were sent out to the later orders so that there are enough discs in the heavier ranges for participants. i'd imagine that you could probably get some other td's here on the forum to swap for some heavier ones. lighter weight laces are rather desirable.

Just found out about this, and was very excited to see that they're running one at New Orleans' City Park. I've never tried Vibram before, and I've never played in a tournament before, so this is a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone!

I'm actually leaning towards choosing discs that may eventually make it into my bag, even if they're not ideal for the event. I've been wanting to try an Obex (I'm not completely sold on my Pain), and an overstable putter (probably the Sole, since I hear it's beadless). I can think of a few holes that this combo would be terrible for, but I think it would work well enough to be competitive and fun. Alternatively, I could try a Trak, which has less of a chance of making it in my bag but would be better for the event. Decisions, decisions....

Anyway, thank goodness for DGCR, or I would probably have never heard about this event!

My co-TD and I both received our TD Packs recently and while the discs look and feel amazing, almost all of them are very lightweight (<160-165g). Those of you who have received your 9 discs, what weights did Vibram send?

Mainly 167-172.

Both Lace were 165.

Playing OB

Any thoughts on how to handle OB for the Birdie Bash? Our course has a fair number of holes where OB (over fence, over road, etc) can come into play.

Any thoughts on how to handle OB for the Birdie Bash? Our course has a fair number of holes where OB (over fence, over road, etc) can come into play.

Good question. Luckily the course I'm playing has no OB ubless you have a really, really, REALLY wild shot. There's lots of thing you could do I guess, but I would think the more creative the better. Is the OB just something that's played usually or is it "true" OB I.e. river, pond, etc....

We just finished our Birdie Bash and it was a great success! 85 people and we had a great time! Thanks VIBRAM!

Got any pics, Dan? :D Any problems or anything crazy? What was the winning score?

No problems whatsoever at the Dolese Birdie Bash here in OKC. :D
A guy on my card decided to bring all 4 of his rugrats along, chain smoked, dropped 5 or 6 F-bombs per throw, and kept berating his son for being an attention starved kid. Aside of that, it was a really fun event...

I thought the winning score ended up being in the mid 60's (66ish, I believe).

How did you score, Dan?

Last edited:
Good question. Luckily the course I'm playing has no OB ubless you have a really, really, REALLY wild shot. There's lots of thing you could do I guess, but I would think the more creative the better. Is the OB just something that's played usually or is it "true" OB I.e. river, pond, etc....

I'm thinking of making a few special rules for OB for mine.

1) Play it as it lies no matter where it lands, as long as it can be done safely. No penalty. If it cannot be played safely, play from where it went OB, still no penalty.

2) The above applies for all holes except the island hole. For that hole, if you do not land on grass, move to the drop zone, no penalty. 50' or so shot for bird. Probably obstructed.

Oh, and they had it set up with alternate tees and a lot if temp baskets, making for really short holes.

I had a Trak and a Ridge, and never even once used my Trak the entirety if the round. Putter only. It was a little too short for my style of game, but it was a lot of fun working on the longer touch approach shots and will probably prove to be highly beneficial to the next round I play. That's not normally a range at which I practice, so it will serve me well I assume.

BTW, the Ridge is an amazing driving putter. Seriously, probably the best, most predictable putter I've ever thrown at power.

Yes to all the above.

It was a really laidback, enjoyable event and was really well organized. The course set up utililized very little of the actual course and instead became a lot of temp tees with temp baskets spread out in open fields, so I heard some grumblings about that, but that really was the only complaint I heard of.

The organization of the event really was a clean job, and there were a lot of positive responses to the discs. I played some of the regular holes with a small group after the event was over and everyone remarked to how both or at the least one of the discs found a spot in their bag; if just one made it in, it seemed to be whichever disc they had for the tournament that wasn't the putter. That's a hard disc to suddenly change.

I think that had people known that the course set up was going to be so drastically different from its normal layout, people would have made some very different disc selections. As it was, a lot of people were left with the Lace along with a putter, and the driver was useless. The TD could have done a much better job at giving that info at registration so you could make a more informed selection of discs when you're getting signed up.

Everything Wake says is pretty accurate. I was glad a lot of people were happy with the discs. It was a fun event and I'm excited about doing it again next year. I'll be putting scores up soon at http://www.okcdga.com

I don't plan on shortening any of our holes, but the longest hole from the shorts is maybe 350. There are a ton in the 250-300 range, and I like that there can be a little strategy in disc selection.

I know very little about Vibram discs only have a Trak.

But I'll be playing in a Birdie Bash in May, and the course looks to be fairly dense woods, could anyone recommend a mid and putter combo?

I usually throw Challengers/ Ions for my putter.

And a Buzzz or Axis for mid.

Would prefer to have something that flys sorta similar to these.

Just signed up for the local Bash at Boone Woods Park. The course is half wide open holes around 300' and half short wooded holes 225' or less.

The TD mentioned that he is going to make the few long holes at the course (likely 3, 4, 7, 10, and 18) par 4's to increase scoring/scoring spread.

I tend to throw my Rhyno a bit when I play here so I went with a VP and an Ibex. Go for the birds on the long holes and Aces on the shorts!

I know very little about Vibram discs only have a Trak.

But I'll be playing in a Birdie Bash in May, and the course looks to be fairly dense woods, could anyone recommend a mid and putter combo?

I usually throw Challengers/ Ions for my putter.

And a Buzzz or Axis for mid.

Would prefer to have something that flys sorta similar to these.
Ridge or VP for a putter...the Ridge is very straight with little fade, and the VP is a beefy, OS monster of a putter. If you plan on doing a lot of putter driving and have power or torque, go with the VP. The Ridge require more touch but its my personal preference. 28 out of the 36 people who signed up for my BB chose the Ridge, so it is by far Vibram's most popular putter.

For the mid, I'd go Ibex. I'm doing the BB at Phantom Falls next weekend (tightly wooded) and I chose the Ibex. Its like a glideless
Buzzz for me. Very good utility disc. The Obex is overstable, but not massively so. It fights wind pretty well, but if you want point-and-shoot, go Ibex.

Hope that helps good luck!

Well we got our first couple of sponsorship for our event. Going to be some added swag in our player packs. And a local insurance agency is adding back packs for all the players.