• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] THEORY Midrange by Axiom Discs

Am I alone in feeling like the Theory is the Envy's partner, rather than part of the mid class? Understable tweenerish?

Also, this conversation is very pleasant.

Agreed on the second point! Great job mods! :clap:

I would have to disagree with your first observation, but I'd have to add I also feel that way about the rest of their mids. Many other throwers feel the Tangent and Alias are on the short side for mids, but I do not feel the same. While those molds & the Theory might not reach the distances I hit with my Axis, the difference is very small for me. All of their mids fly distinctly mid-like for me, and go further than their putters. It might have something to do with my throwing style though, because you are not the only person to feel this way.

This disc is growing on me. What I've come to really like about this disc in particular is its reliable under-stability while not completely turning over. This time of year when it's colder and very windy that reliability is the difference between confidently reaching for the disc and not having it in the bag at all. (And, yes, Northeast Ohio is much, much windier than people realize. ;-)

Can confirm. Since moving to Charlotte I think I've played one or two rounds with winds over 10mph. It's crazy how still the air is compared to the constant howling at Arboretum.

I prefer my N Theory to my N Tangent. One big difference is the plastic. I swear that the first run Neutron Tangent is the slipperiest disc in my collection. Thankfully Brad and Chad improved on that. :clap:

It was a real honor working with Zam and MVP/Axiom on the Artist Series.
Still been too busy to get out and throw the darn thing, but can't wait to take it to the course.

Following is the line art and photo of the double stamped Limited Edition disc.

15271645153_a4d553d4f1_z.jpg

The origin of Doc Volt.

15703784418_6262f7d9d1_z.jpg

I'll have a few of these during the Thanksgiving weekend at the Skulboy Store.
You can look for a notice on when they go live at the Skulboy Facebook page.

Hope everyone has an awesome Turkey or Tofurkey Day!

Interested in this disc. How does it fly on a flat 250ish toss - straight with fade, turn and pan out, slow turn, etc.? Similar distance to a Fuse or significantly shorter?

For reference:

I find GL Fuses quite straight unless I turn them intentionally, and then they tend to turn too much.

Tangent flies beautifully straight for me, but not significantly further than my putter (Clutch).

Also, any idea when the Theory will be available at 166-169 grams, or did I already miss the light ones?

Thanks!

Interested in this disc. How does it fly on a flat 250ish toss - straight with fade, turn and pan out, slow turn, etc.? Similar distance to a Fuse or significantly shorter?

straight if max weight vs slight glidey slow right turn if lighter...

For reference:

I find GL Fuses quite straight unless I turn them intentionally, and then they tend to turn too much.

This is what I love about the theory and threw many a fuses as well as similar molds it has a very nice workable HSS and very little LSS but not flippy at all like you see with some similar discs IMO the GYRO of MVP discs is very apparent in this mold and gives it the advantage over a disc like the fuse

Tangent flies beautifully straight for me, but not significantly further than my putter (Clutch).

I throw tangents, theorys, vectors, ions over 300' so I never really understand short vs long discs except when people are talking about some slower molds in lid like form or very OS low glide molds. The distance capability of the theory is no less than a tangent and IMO with the glide and forward penetration of the LSS its capable of flying just as far. I threw a shot carried by some tailwind which exceeded 375' easily if not over 400' and can reach 300' fairly effortlessly with this disc vs a tangent you really need to get cruising

Also, any idea when the Theory will be available at 166-169 grams, or did I already miss the light ones?

Weights: 166g – 178g are available and see no real need for a lighter one at my power/skill but something a player like my little brother I think would really enjoy in a lighter weight. I know Zam says the 2 different weights pair nicely.
Thanks!

Hope that helps--- honestly JUST GET ONE!!! Might be able to preorder a skullboy edition too still if you want PM ;)

At 250 I bet you get a little turn to a straight finish. The is what my N does.

I find the theory to be one of my longer mids. A good hyzer flip and it goes forever.

specially considering the power needed to get it flying. I've overshot more than one pin with a theory due to its crazy glide and being used to a tangent in that sense which sit down a little harder. Theory locks in and gliiiiiiides.

Yours behaving better than it did that first throw? :D That was rough, glad we found it.

Way better than that first throw. :p It really has become my go to disc if I need a safe straight shot or a backhand to go right. My Envy is the only disc I use more. It'll be a really nice weekend, hit me up if ya wanna play. I'm outta my slump. I'm sure it'll come back next time we play. :D

Glad to hear it. I plan to get out to Winget and RL this weekend. Busy Saturday, but Friday and Sunday are good.

I've been experimenting with mine on certain holes I'd normally FH, and it's getting me back into BH turnovers which is a part of my game I've been neglecting outside of distance shots.

Hope that helps--- honestly JUST GET ONE!!! Might be able to preorder a skullboy edition too still if you want PM ;)

Thank you for the detailed reply. Theory does sound like what I am looking for - midrange that will hold a predictable anny or turnover. I hope so, anyway.

At 250 I bet you get a little turn to a straight finish. The is what my N does.

Sounds good, thanks!

Does anyone on here know how the theory behaves when given a lot of snap and only a moderate amount of arm speed? I have A shoulder issue that keeps me from using too much arm speed.

I just picked up a Doc Volt Theory from discgolfcenter.com for 16.99 before their 15% black Friday discount. Best price I've seen for them yet. Also grabbed a soft Envy. I expect they'll be my most thrown discs when they get here.

Yesss, this disc deserves a lot of praise. Like others have said, this is my most used disc other than my putters. Thrown RHBH, it goes to the right softly and doesn't fade, it's amazing.

Skulboy, love the art!

In the other Theory thread I had asked how it compares to a Comet. I bought a 177g Theory last Wednesday, and I've played a couple rounds with it now, and am willing to try to answer my own question.

First off, for me the Theory is a straight flyer if I take a little off my throws, and it is slightly understable if I crank on it. By slightly understable I mean that it starts straight and finishes right of it's original line. But it does not flip or roll right, it just glides in that direction. Overall, it is a wonderful disc and has already booted one of my two Comets out of my bag to make room for it.

Despite booting one out, the Theory will won't replace my Comets, but it will be a phenomenal complement to them. The Comet will be my go to stable to understable disc on warm, still summer days. It's glide is better than that of the Theory and it's a longer disc, despite being slower.

On the other hand, when the wind is blowing a little bit the Theory will be what I reach for. It's not as long as the Comet with a tailwind, but it's more controllable and rangeable. Into a mild to moderate headwind it is vastly superior. Thrown flat the Theory slightly exaggerates the flight I described earlier, but it does flip slightly and go to ground. Thrown with a bit of hyzer the Theory flips flat and then finished slightly right. Thrown into similar winds the Comet flips much harder and goes to ground much quicker. The Comet is not reliable at all when the wind is blowing more than just a little, whereas the Theory seems like it can be controlled into a moderate headwind.

Overall this is a very useful slightly understable mid. It flies similar lines to my Comet, although slightly shorter and vastly more controllable. It has a more modern feel than the Comet, somewhat similar to a Fuse without being so flippy. This is definitely a top notch disc that can find a home in most bags and is worth a try.