• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

too hot? wet t-shirt time!

yyeah, i love in wisconsin. We all think it'd burning here at 80, imagine texas. Heck we went to arizona in March and we thought it was ridiculous

Do you guys have gnat and mosquito problems up there in the summertime too?

Hahahahahahaha! OMG is that funny.

During a bad year, the mosquitoes will carry you away (almost, but not quite, literally.) I've been out in parts of Wisconsin where 25% DEET comes up a bit short, just because of the sheer numbers swarming you looking for a blood meal.

Hahahahahahaha! OMG is that funny.

During a bad year, the mosquitoes will carry you away (almost, but not quite, literally.) I've been out in parts of Wisconsin where 25% DEET comes up a bit short, just because of the sheer numbers swarming you looking for a blood meal.

Yea, they get pretty bad here too, those and fire ant beds everywhere. Speaking of humidity, the bad thing is that you sweat off any bug spray you put on within 10 minutes.

:thmbdown:

Yea, they get pretty bad here too, those and fire ant beds everywhere. Speaking of humidity, the bad thing is that you sweat off any bug spray you put on within 10 minutes.

:thmbdown:

The one saving grace for us is that some years, the mosquitoes lay their eggs during a warm snap, but then they are killed off by a freeze or frost. So that's something...I guess.

Do you guys get chiggers down south as well? They're annoying, but not the worst thing in the world.

And yeah, humidity takes it out of you. I played 72 holes in 90+ and HUMID yesterday. I was spent, even though I stayed hydrated, stayed in the shade for a good portion of the day, and often play more holes than that. But then again, approximately 2 months ago I was playing in 20 degree weather with 6 inches to a foot of snow on the ground. :\

The reason it sucks throwing in mid 80s heat sometimes is that the humiditiy always seems to be above 90%. It's like walking around with a wet blanket on you. No chance at all of looking presentable at the end of a round.

I'll take playing in a dry Texas 90 walking on flat ground than a humid Michigan 80 climbing an old ski hill, any day.

Or maybe it's because you go outside and realise, "Damn it!...I live in Ohio." :p

You must have your weather patterns mixxed up. Last week we had a high here of 95 with 97% humidity and no rain.
This week the humidity has been nice only around 85% with highs in the 90's
I will take the humid michigan 80 any day

Last edited:
Texas, arizona, california, etc are WAY nicer than Michigan, Ohio, etc..... Can't even compare the heat ugh... And I go to all of them regularly (moving job).... I'd take Texas 100 times before Michigan.

The one saving grace for us is that some years, the mosquitoes lay their eggs during a warm snap, but then they are killed off by a freeze or frost. So that's something...I guess.

Do you guys get chiggers down south as well? They're annoying, but not the worst thing in the world.

And yeah, humidity takes it out of you. I played 72 holes in 90+ and HUMID yesterday. I was spent, even though I stayed hydrated, stayed in the shade for a good portion of the day, and often play more holes than that. But then again, approximately 2 months ago I was playing in 20 degree weather with 6 inches to a foot of snow on the ground. :\

Yea, we have chiggers, and the ticks are pretty bad too.

I see what you mean now, down here it's pretty humid even in the winter as funny as it sounds, you can literally be outside at night during the winter and still notice perspiration due to the humidity.

Like I said though, since it's that way all the time, it's easier to adapt but man, you guys do have it tough for it to snow then all of a sudden turn hot and humid. I could see that taking a toll on you.

Yea, we have chiggers, and the ticks are pretty bad too.

I see what you mean now, down here it's pretty humid even in the winter as funny as it sounds, you can literally be outside at night during the winter and still notice perspiration due to the humidity.

Like I said though, since it's that way all the time, it's easier to adapt but man, you guys do have it tough for it to snow then all of a sudden turn hot and humid. I could see that taking a toll on you.

Also, didn't mention: in the winter, it is so dry it is ridiculous. I have to use moisturizing lotion on my hands and face just to keep the skin from cracking and bleeding. The rest of the year my skin is fine. So we're running the full gamut of 0%-99% of humidity....Ugh.

whatever... i'd go in 100% humidity.. which is rain by the way
I'd go when it's snowing
I'd go when it's 100 degrees F
I'd come home looking like as$ each time and still have a big satisfied smile...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not obsessed but I don't let weather keep me indoors.

I like the wet t-shirt idea btw.

My friends and I decided to do a "Local road trip", a couple of years back, at 2 courses that were just about an hour away from us. After we played the first course, we stopped, had lunch, then were driving to the 2nd course. On the car thermometer it was 103, and I believe about 70-80% humidity.
We still played, we sweat our butts off, and came home in the A/C with smiles on our faces!!

Last year when we were in Daytona/Orlando for vacation in JULY it was 103 when we played Tuscawilla...my god was that miserable, the beach felt so damn good after that. It has been in the 90s way too often lately, this summer is going to be brutal.

Last year when we were in Daytona/Orlando for vacation in JULY it was 103 when we played Tuscawilla...my god was that miserable, the beach felt so damn good after that. It has been in the 90s way too often lately, this summer is going to be brutal.

Same here....been mid 90s with no end in sight

Dude its so humid right now I can't even make it to the first tee from the car without sweating up a storm. I think the mosquitos would go crazy if I walked around in a soaked tee shirt

whatever... i'd go in 100% humidity.. which is rain by the way

100% humidity can result in rain, but does not necessarily mean it's raining or is going to rain. Humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air, so 100% humidity means the air is holding the maximum amount of water vapor.

never heard of the frogg thing. how can wearing another piece of cloth keep you cool?
i am skeptical.

i've played in florida in summer (again in the morning) and it surprised me that the courses were all empty until about the time when we were finished (10am) at which point it was about 90 deg. florida hot seems a lot different than michigan hot. its hard to explain.

i dont have a/c at home/work, so its not like i'm going from one air conditioned room to another in between rounds. maybe i'm just a big baby.

Evaprorative cooling does not work very well in MN. To humid. Not to mention, I swear I am half vampire. I burn in the shade in 70* weather. What works for me is drinking VERY COLD water. Almost to the point of brain freeze.

What works for me is drinking VERY COLD water. Almost to the point of brain freeze.

's what we like to call a slurpee around these parts. you might find them at 7-11 stores. my quest this year is to find a grape slurpee. damn crappy flavors!