• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Understable Compliment to the Buzzz

a misinterpretation of the american dream concept... it doesn't espouse that anyone can do anything... as you say that doesn't work
the american dream is the freedom to be able to do anything... the right to be who you are regardless of class... no one really thinks that everyone is equal... but everyone has equal rights...

I agree with you, I just don't think I was very clear or just used a different term. That is why I said the people bought too heavy into the American Dream concept and then explained how they bought too heavy into it. I probably should have said "misinterpreted" instead of "bought too heavy into".

Throw in another vote for the Fuse.

I had been using my Crystal Z Buzz for a while but felt the need for a more understable mid to complement it. Thus enter the Opto Fuse. This is the perfect compliment to the buzz in both plastic and flight characteristics. Whatever my Buzz lacked, my Fuse excels at and vice versa.

Not only will it hold an anhyzer line with little effort and excellent glide, it also excels at tunnel shots. It will travel absolutely flat and have little to no die at the end. I am constantly amazed as to how little effort it takes to get it to hold a line, and there is little need to overpower it to get it to fly properly. My Fuse blows my mind just about every time I throw it and is the only disc in my bag that continually exceeds my expectations on just about every shot. Not to mention Opto plastic is sweet as hell!

first of all, this is a great thread. I learned a lot in it. I carry both a Buzzz and a Comet and thought that I was doing that was a good approach. I have never heard of the complementing discs with similar speeds philosophy, and it's making me rethink my whole bag now. I have never fully understood the speed of a disc, so I never really gave it a ton of consideration when selecting a disc. I always just went with the understable/overstable side of, which is easier for me to get.

So, is the theory of matching speeds the idea of making an entire bag of similar speeds, or do you just want your mids similar, your drivers similar, your putters similar? I'm confused on far this idea is should be carried.

Finally, claiming that there is no such thing as talent is just plain crazy. There are things that Feldberg and Climo and Nikko and do with a disc that I could never do, even if I practised 24/7. I could never swim like Phelps, golf like Tiger, hit like Ichiro, run like Walter Payton, throw like Payton Manning, stike people out like Nolan Ryan, or shoot like Jordan no matter what I did.

So, is the theory of matching speeds the idea of making an entire bag of similar speeds, or do you just want your mids similar, your drivers similar, your putters similar? I'm confused on far this idea is should be carried.

The idea is to have tiers of speeds/glide/ranges. Speed isn't the only issue, because the whole reason to have tiers is for better range control. A disc can have the same speed as another, but have a lot more glide (River vs. Stalker) and therefore have a very different range given the same power. Also, discs with very different flight characteristics (speed/glide) have a different range based on what height they are flying at (a Buzzz will fly farther than a Comet on a low line, but the Comet will fly farther than a Buzzz on a higher line). It takes some experimenting to find the perfect combination for your style.

I have 5 tiers in my bag: Putters(Ions), mids(Buzzz/Fuse), slow/control drivers(Cyclones/C-PDs), fast drivers(S-PDs), and warp speed drivers(Nuke/Bosss). On the tiers where I throw more than one mold, the discs have pretty much the same speed/glide, and therefore range the same. I also throw 400'-450', so that is why I use 5. If you only throw 360', you should probably only have 4 tiers, and if you throw less than that, then you are better of with 3 tiers.

I guess I pretty much do the same thing but I use 2 different speed/glide tiers for mids and I don't throw a warp speed driver.

I like having the extra variability in a range that I use more. I can see the argument for wanting less variability in your most used range as well. I guess it's a matter of preference.

LOl what the hell has this thread turned into. It's pretty simple

Buzzz (z) = goes straight and hyzers out. Wont' flip over
Comet (z) = flat flat flat, very minimal hyzer out if at all. Stable, will hold any line it's put on.
Buzzz (x) = thrown with hyzer flip, very late turn, hold it for a very long time.
Comet (x) = once beat in, wil turn over pretty easily, will try to hold stable on a hyzer flip

So for me, z and x buzzz, + z comet cover a lot of shots. Z comet will hold low power touch shots, hyzers anhyzers or straight no-fade shots. Z buzzz for backhand and forehand straight shots that fade, and hyzers. X buzzz for long S shots or anhyzers.

I don't do that by throwing them the same. If I were to teir mine based on how I throw, it would be like this.

Wizards
Comet

Buzzz
Avengers

Predators or Flicks
Destroyers

I should add that another reason I don't carry a Comet (though I have Comet aces and I do like how they fly) is because I can throw my Ion hard like I throw a Buzzz and it flies like a Comet without the late low speed glide/carry of the Comet (which makes the Comet tough for me to range). Due to this I will throw Buzzz range shots where I'm either throwing uphill or when I have to hit a high gap through some trees with my Ion. The Buzzz is finicky with some height under it.

well, I don't throw near 400-450, mostly in the 300-325 range, and even that has been a recent developement. I do some practice feild stuff, but I just don't have the time to really go at it like I should. I have enough trouble just getting onto the course as much as I would like, but I digress.

That helps me narrow down my search a little bit. I really like the buzzz, and I'm going to use this as an excuse to me some more Lat 64, but I prefer a Wizard, which Frank said earlier is more in the Roc/Comet area. So when driving it off the tee, do I want to be driving with more height?

Can I still use the Comet as a form correcting disc or would that not make since since it requires a different form than what I use during a round?

Man, I have about 50 more questions I want to ask on this...

GET A METEOR! I don't see how anyone can argue that its not the perfect understable compliment to the Buzzz, and right out of the box too.

I can throw the wizards both ways, but when airing them out for distance, I tend to add more spin to them than say a buzzz. It's all about learning your discs. I've thrown hyzers with every disc in my bag, and I've throw anhyzers with ever disc in my bag (excluding flicks/predators, but I may have once or twice with 150 flicks). Avenger SS's are most people's understable flip or roller disc. I throw it for flips, and have also thrown hyzers with it in. The result is a very long hyzer that lifts as it flips, then has a very hard fade left. Great for hyzers that need to start low and go far.

well, I don't throw near 400-450, mostly in the 300-325 range, and even that has been a recent developement. I do some practice feild stuff, but I just don't have the time to really go at it like I should. I have enough trouble just getting onto the course as much as I would like, but I digress.

That helps me narrow down my search a little bit. I really like the buzzz, and I'm going to use this as an excuse to me some more Lat 64, but I prefer a Wizard, which Frank said earlier is more in the Roc/Comet area. So when driving it off the tee, do I want to be driving with more height?

Can I still use the Comet as a form correcting disc or would that not make since since it requires a different form than what I use during a round?

Man, I have about 50 more questions I want to ask on this...

If you have a Wizard, it can be your form correcting disc once it's beaten in a little. Putters diagnose form errors much the same as Comets. Also, in the spectrum of Wizard variation there are Buzzz-like Wizards and more Roc-like Wizards. The only way to tell is by throwing yours...but in general, the flatter the Wizard the more Buzzz-like (because Buzzzes essentially fly like flat Rocs).

What about concave top wizards? lol. My wizard is so warped from thumb-prints, throws just like a warlock.

I really hate that I'm out mostly doing inventory when I am with skinner. This stuff fascinates me.

I have Ridge, Core, River; then Pred for OS and Flick for utility which I assume puts it neither here nor there. Its seems my Ridge and Pred are probably about the same concept, but Im not sure the Core and River fit with those although I do throw each of those the same but sometimes, when I try to force the Core into a turnover, it will cut too hard because I think Im forcing it too much, where Im thinking maybe my Stingray would fit that role, at least until I get a Fuse. I do have a GL Core that I treat a little different than my Opto and my Rivers are seperated by 10g so I treat them each a little different.