• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

But who in his right mind would distribute anything of worth via Facebook?
Exactly.

Jussi isn't willing to 'give away' his content to the hardcore disc golfers that have actually been engaged, watching and paying attention for the past several years. But he's more than willing to hand everything over to Zuckerberg just to pump up some nonsensical 'social media metric' numbers.

I mean... can you even run your own ads on something you broadcast on FB Live? I'm guessing that its a huge 'NO' if it follows any of their other policies.

I'm sure he's got it all figured out though.

Exactly.

Jussi isn't willing to 'give away' his content to the hardcore disc golfers that have actually been engaged, watching and paying attention for the past several years. But he's more than willing to hand everything over to Zuckerberg just to pump up some nonsensical 'social media metric' numbers.

I mean... can you even run your own ads on something you broadcast on FB Live? I'm guessing that its a huge 'NO' if it follows any of their other policies.

I'm sure he's got it all figured out though.

Ads cut into the video itself can be run, but I don't think that's possible when the stream is simply the raw feed from Avery's phone. If it's a stream generated through a switcher with multiple cameras/sources, ads are easy enough to include. If there's a policy against that, then Smashboxx has been in violation with every stream they simulcast to FB Live. What FB Live definitely lacks is the option to monetize the stream and the archived video like Youtube offers.

What I think seems to be an overlooked aspect of using FB Live rather than a Youtube or Livestream.com is that each video is at the mercy of Facebook's wonky algorithms that ensure that only a fraction of people subscribed to the originating page actually have the video appear in their newsfeed. There are currently 23,000+ people who "like" the DGWT page. Never do any of their posts, be they text, links, or videos, reach 23,000 newsfeeds for maximum reach. Unless you've set it up to get notifications every time, you could easily miss when they go live just because Facebook decides you don't need to see the video pop up on your newsfeed. Even when you do have notifications set up, not every video sends one.

Just seems sub-optimal to limit the broadcasts to just that platform, even ignoring the less than polished look that a FB Live stream has.

Ads cut into the video itself can be run, but I don't think that's possible when the stream is simply the raw feed from Avery's phone. If it's a stream generated through a switcher with multiple cameras/sources, ads are easy enough to include. If there's a policy against that, then Smashboxx has been in violation with every stream they simulcast to FB Live. What FB Live definitely lacks is the option to monetize the stream and the archived video like Youtube offers.

What I think seems to be an overlooked aspect of using FB Live rather than a Youtube or Livestream.com is that each video is at the mercy of Facebook's wonky algorithms that ensure that only a fraction of people subscribed to the originating page actually have the video appear in their newsfeed. There are currently 23,000+ people who "like" the DGWT page. Never do any of their posts, be they text, links, or videos, reach 23,000 newsfeeds for maximum reach. Unless you've set it up to get notifications every time, you could easily miss when they go live just because Facebook decides you don't need to see the video pop up on your newsfeed. Even when you do have notifications set up, not every video sends one.

Just seems sub-optimal to limit the broadcasts to just that platform, even ignoring the less than polished look that a FB Live stream has.
I'd wager that there is some fine print in FB's TOS regarding no advertising in-stream. They are EXTREMELY notorious for clamping down on anybody making money on their platform.

Granted.... a stream to ~5,000 probably isn't going to raise any flags that would get anybody in trouble.

I believe that the wonky algorithms behind stuff not showing up in people's feeds can be circumvented if the creator PAYS to promote the post. Basically another way for FB to skim their cut from content creators.

I'd wager that there is some fine print in FB's TOS regarding no advertising in-stream. They are EXTREMELY notorious for clamping down on anybody making money on their platform.

Granted.... a stream to ~5,000 probably isn't going to raise any flags that would get anybody in trouble.

I believe that the wonky algorithms behind stuff not showing up in people's feeds can be circumvented if the creator PAYS to promote the post. Basically another way for FB to skim their cut from content creators.

Oh absolutely it can be circumvented by paying. That's the whole point of the algorithm in the first place...to coerce people into paying Facebook. Just another reason it is sub-optimal for what they're really after.

Even if you're paying to boost your posts, that doesn't mean your audience is going to be actively engaged with your content.

The only real way to make money on facebook is to get a ****e load of people as friends, followers, etc, and then pay to advertise your own products. If you don't pay to "boost" your post then facebook will limit your post to a fraction of your friends and followers. They changed to this way I think around 2 years ago and it ticked off alot of people, but they opened up the other end by allowing sales, raffles, give aways, etc, without having to go through alot of red tape.

Even if you're paying to boost your posts, that doesn't mean your audience is going to be actively engaged with your content.

Exactly. FB for business was great up until about 2-3 years ago. Hell i hardly see disc golf stuff on my DG page feed these days! :wall:

There's a chance we'll get major media live coverage in Rock Hill on Friday-Saturday, not for disc golf but showing what 100mph winds can do if hurricane Matthew tracks like the forecast. Hopefully, our coastal areas don't suffer too much damage but it's looking pretty scary at the moment.

Last edited:
USDGC Message Regarding Hurricane Matthew:

The US Disc Golf Championship is carefully monitoring Hurricane Matthew. This hurricane is a significant potential weather event that should be given due consideration. Players, staff, and spectators traveling to the Rock Hill area should be alert to potential changes to course layout or schedule of events. The Championship may condense the course, double up on rounds, or make other schedule changes as necessary. As our hearts and prayers go out to all who have suffered from this storm, our goal here is to keep our players, staff, and fans as safe as possible.

:: Dark humor incoming. Social justice warriors please scroll past ::

Does anybody know if the hurricane coverage will be live? Or will we just have post-produced coverage? What kind of METRIX will we be tracking?

Will it be on Facebook?

Does anybody know if the hurricane coverage will be live? Or will we just have post-produced coverage? What kind of METRIX will we be tracking?

Will it be on Facebook?

Jim cantore is on it.....

Will it be on Facebook?

Worlds distance record, and longest ace are both up for grabs, see it now on the weather channel.

Will it be on Facebook?

I heard the PSCA (Professional Storm Chasers Association) offered to cover the bill to stream it, but Hurricane Matthew said it was too close to work out the logistics. :\

I heard the PSCA (Professional Storm Chasers Association) offered to cover the bill to stream it, but Hurricane Matthew said it was too close to work out the logistics. :\
CURSES!

I guess its just another loss for us weather 'black spotters.'

Looks like someone will just have to stream it from.their phone.

Do they make those fuzzy wind screens to cover phone microphones or do you just have to build up some lint?
I think you can just put the whole phone in a dirty sock and tie the end.

Saves on budget too.

Live, on scene with Uli's topknot....