• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

I mean DGWT is pretty much the DM/Innova world tour.
DGWT is the auxiliary business name of Spin18 Ltd, which is technically independent from the Innova family but with obvious network connections. It's just no surprise that Innova is a major investor.

Last edited:
DGWT is the auxiliary business name of Spin18 Ltd, which is technically independent from the Innova family but with obvious network connections. It's just no surprise that Innova is a major investor.

I mean its run by the same people. It has to exist as its own company for pretty obvious reasons. That isn't a bad thing though. USDGC is and will always be the Innova World Championship though.

constant mentioning of Innova/Discmania discs ( yet the only disc of Paige's ever mentioned was the Deputy, and most often after a bad shot.), lame attempts at being surprised when they already know the outcome-enough already.

They seem to mention discs that they know. They know their own bags and the people they tour with. Jerm will talk about what discs Austin Turner uses, even though he's on Discraft, because they tour together so he knows the kid's bag. They will mention discs of pro's they play with often, like Nate Doss throwing a Buzzz or beat Predator, as he has thrown certain discs for years so they know by color and flight which he threw. How often do they play tourney rounds with Paige, and know which of her drivers is a Defender/Enforcer/Sheriff? Probably a lot less likely.

As for the commentary, I think they do a good job of trying to add excitement/not spoiling it even though it's after the fact. It's got to be weird to do, no complaints from me.

I mean its run by the same people. It has to exist as its own company for pretty obvious reasons. That isn't a bad thing though. USDGC is and will always be the Innova World Championship though.

A point on company structure. I work for a company where there's a parent company, with four companies under it's umbrella. The structure exists because the owner holds 51% of the shares in the parent and thus 51% of everything. Each company is a separate legal entity. All the business is run on the same servers, and the same software package. Each company is separated in that software by company code. The business is all processed by the same staff in workflows that often handle business from the companies together.

Companies set up shell companies for lots of reasons, but in my experience, the owner is the owner.

*waaaaahhhh* an Innova sponsored event is too Innova centric *waaaaahhhh*

Not quite, it's an Innova sponsored event and they are invested in it being Innova only and have cut out content that would be nice to have, to keep it that way. Furthermore, that event is a major and I'm not sure that any single company should control a major... Personal opinion.

Majors should belong to us, the membership and should be controlled by the PDGA. I'm happy to have Innova control this event, just change it to an NT, and have the PDGA bid out the USDGC.

Not quite, it's an Innova sponsored event and they are invested in it being Innova only and have cut out content that would be nice to have, to keep it that way. Furthermore, that event is a major and I'm not sure that any single company should control a major... Personal opinion.

Majors should belong to us, the membership and should be controlled by the PDGA. I'm happy to have Innova control this event, just change it to an NT, and have the PDGA bid out the USDGC.

All the PDGA can do is remove the Major status. They have no claim to the title of the event. Innova (specifically Harold and Innova East) created the event. They own it. Until they choose to give it up, the USDGC will remain their event no matter what anyone else's opinion is on the matter.

This discussion already came up and was shut down back in 2011 when the USDGC was changed to a Performance-style only event. The uproar over it no longer being the pro event that it was led the PDGA not to taking the USDGC name away, but to creating the "PDGA Championship" Major to take its place. But since Innova returned the USDGC back to being an open division event, they've retained their Major status and the PDGA Championships went away.

All the PDGA can do is remove the Major status. They have no claim to the title of the event. Innova (specifically Harold and Innova East) created the event. They own it. Until they choose to give it up, the USDGC will remain their event no matter what anyone else's opinion is on the matter.

This discussion already came up and was shut down back in 2011 when the USDGC was changed to a Performance-style only event. The uproar over it no longer being the pro event that it was led the PDGA not to taking the USDGC name away, but to creating the "PDGA Championship" Major to take its place. But since Innova returned the USDGC back to being an open division event, they've retained their Major status and the PDGA Championships went away.

That's good enough. :). Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how much $$$ Jussi had to fork out for the Coke ad?

Total bummer no live coverage. A few years ago I had a USDGC party on a really crappy day. Had 15 or so disc golfers over to watch. Another crappy day of rain here in Illinois. Would have had a ton of people watching.

We are still in a huge growth phase. Decisions are made, plenty of factors go into this. I'm sure constructive criticism is welcomed and heard by all involved and have no doubt that as disc golf continues to grow things will change and get better, but there are limitations.

Is it just me or does Big Jerm talk waaaaaay too much? I forget which hole of which round it was (I think it was round 1) but he talked over at least 6 shots without even acknowledging any of them. That's a fairly common occurrence with Big Jerm's commentary.

Total bummer no live coverage. A few years ago I had a USDGC party on a really crappy day. Had 15 or so disc golfers over to watch. Another crappy day of rain here in Illinois. Would have had a ton of people watching.

Technically they did have live coverage, but it was pretty lackluster watching it from Avery Jenkins' cell phone. It was only exciting to see Nate win. Most of the time I couldn't see the disc and had to rely on the crowd's reaction and Avery's descriptions.

I don't really understand why people bitch about Innova so much in Rock Hill, and yet praise DD for doing the exact same thing in Emporia?

What event do those people think inspired Rusco to do what he does for that town? They just won a Forbes award for replicating a very successful model that's been running for near 20 years in South Carolina.

BTW - please don't read this as a slam. I applaud both brands for investing in the local economy. PDGA doesn't foot the bills for these events, Innova and DD pay the 6-figure bills at their respective tournaments.

I feel like sometimes these criticisms aren't fully thought out.

Because Emporia is an NT and USDGC is a major. But honestly, if there had been live coverage the kavitching would have been less. It feels like it was miss managed. Frankly, that has nothing to do with Innova or DD, its about management and what was said by Jussie.

Please note Jamie, the reason why Innova comes up is because it distinctly feels like live is kaboshed so that the Innova family can keep tighter control over marketing. If Jeremy does the same thing, I'm sure he'll get some grief too.

For the moment that should be set aside. USDGC is a major for a reason. The Innova team put on a hell of a show. The recaps were excellent, as was every element of the gig. Thanks!

It was fun to watch the final round coverage. It was fun to watch Nate Sexton win -- seems like such a good guy that has figured out how to compete and beat the best. It's not fun reading a bunch of whining about Innova or whatever else you're whining about here. Calm down -- Yay Nate.