• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs

I'm waiting for Jomez's none choppy coverage and will catch up on Monday

2nd card coverage is awesome

Choppy as it is, kudos for getting a camera on them. Conrad is on fire(Miles too). Live coverage is not too shabby. Much improved over the last few events.

Thanks

If I had a desk job I'd wait for edited video. Thanks for the live version

Last edited:
th

Hole 17 - awesome!

Ricky going for it, very gutsy.

How to beat Ricky, it takes two.

Kolling, great win!

That has to go down as a top ten tournament, all time.

That has to go down as a top ten tournament, all time.

I wouldn't say that, but it was a heck of a tourney, to be sure. I think the pressure just got to Conrad down the stretch, and Jerm hung on to tie and seize the victory. Beautiful course, too.

Thanks again to Smashboxx for their continued great coverage. :clap:

I wouldn't say that, but it was a heck of a tourney, to be sure. I think the pressure just got to Conrad down the stretch, and Jerm hung on to tie and seize the victory. Beautiful course, too.

Wish the signal could have been a bit better for us. We knew going in that there were some weak spots in the woods, but I think adding the gallery and the bandwidth kinda dwindled. We did what we could and people **mostly** got to see an exciting tournament. Thanks to everyone who was able to watch.

Interesting horse race for these 8 top finishers.

The three biggest good moves among these eight players were:

Gregg Barsby's 2 on Hole 6 in the Third round (54th hole played), which improved his projected final score by 1.41 throws,

Gregg Barsby's 3 on Hole 5 in the first round (17th hole played), which improved his projected final score by 1.32 throws, and

James Conrad's 3 on Hole 15 in the third round (45th hole played), which improved his projected final score by 1.23 throws.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WacoRace2017.png
    WacoRace2017.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 158
Where was Mcbeast and the other usual suspects. question mark.. nice to take some wind out the sails of the victors on that comment.

from a viewing standpoint enjoyed the waco river frontage. other than that. not at all impressed with play or the course.

Me neither. Comments like "surprisingly few birdies on this short hole" making it sound like a short hole is a good hole if it is difficult... Well you got to look at the hole and if there are select trees in the fairway that kick you into some killer schule... It may be difficult but I think just a little random. Lots of good holes in there too dont get me wrong. Still waiting to see good woods golf that isnt just tunnels in the rough.

Nikko clawed himself within 1 throw of cash, good show.

Hard to make a judgement based just on video, but I thought that short hole was a very good one for the level of play you'd expect from these players. Make a precise throw and get a birdie. Be imprecise and par is attainable but not automatic. If you don't want the "random" kicks off the trees, don't hit the trees. There were clean throwable lines around the trees...if you don't hit those lines, you should pay a price.

Hard to make a judgement based just on video, but I thought that short hole was a very good one for the level of play you'd expect from these players. Make a precise throw and get a birdie. Be imprecise and par is attainable but not automatic. If you don't want the "random" kicks off the trees, don't hit the trees. There were clean throwable lines around the trees...if you don't hit those lines, you should pay a price.

The video did make it look lie there was an open lane, with trees to the right. Hard to know how far down that 10 or 15 foot gap was. 150 ft?

The question is how high can the scoring average get on a 215 ft, 250 ft, 300 ft, 350 ft hole before it's likely too lucky, where being able to hit the "lines" consistently or say at least 2 out of 3 attempts is above gold skill level?

Last edited:

Wow... pressure got to him down the stretch?? Really? I guess you're saying that because he had his only bogey on the dogleg peninsula hole #5 (the next-to last hole). I guess I have a different view of "pressure getting to you" and "choking" than most people. Down the stretch JC went birdie-birdie-birdie-birdie-birdie-bogey-birdie. I guess I don't see those results as "the pressure got to him." He was on the second card a hole ahead of Jerm and Jerm had to finish eagle-birdie-birdie just to catch him to force the playoff. And that included throwing a 560-ft roller on hole #4, just to give himself a chance at eagle.

Where was Mcbeast and the other usual suspects. question mark.. nice to take some wind out the sails of the victors on that comment.

from a viewing standpoint enjoyed the waco river frontage. other than that. not at all impressed with play or the course.

Please elaborate, particularly about the course. I hear so many complaints on this forum about the long open hyzer fests in big tournaments. We Texans are very proud of Brazos East DGC, because it is one of the few courses (likely anywhere) that has the full flavor of challenging long holes, challenging woods holes, precision woods holes, precision long holes, longer woods holes where you have to hit the landing zone to give yourself a chance to birdie or better, and longer open holes with enough mature trees and/or water that force you to hit the landing zone to have a chance at birdie or better.

BTW, if you're ever heading over this way, hit me up. I'd gladly make the hour and a half drive to play BEast with you.

The video did make it look lie [sic] there was an open lane, with trees to the right. Hard to know how far down that 10 or 15 foot gap was. 150 ft?

I played in the tourney and I agree. That hole is 213 ft. Yes, it is short and yes it is risk/reward, and it certainly rewards players who can throw an accurate sidearm with a stable midrange or putter. I think the lane is open enough for a 213-ft hole, enough to not make it an auto-birdie hole. Isn't risk/reward what we're after? There is an 11-ft wide gap on the right side of the fairway, which if you pure it (straight) will give you a 23-28ft putt at the basket. Putting from that side the basket has a drop-off behind it. There is also a 5-ft wide RHBH low hyzer gap on the right, which it's possible but improbable to stay up once you get to the basket level. If you pure that hyzer gap on the right you'll likely have the 18-28ft uphill putt with moderate steepness. And yes, choosing either gap, and missing your line significantly will result in a very challenging scramble -- hence the risk/reward. If you could ricochet into the woods and have an easy scramble, there'd be no risk. Also, on this hole, if you choose, it is relatively easy to play for the safe 3 -- lay up a putter to the gap and it's hard to not have a straight 140ft line to the basket.

PERSONALLY, I think it's a great hole. Look and the Udisc stats and the scoring spread on hole #14.

Last edited:
According to the udisc stats for the hole in question (14), the scoring average was 3.01, 2.88, and 2.8 for rounds 1, 2, and 3. It was birdied 25% of the time in round 1, 28% in round 2, and 39% in round 3, while bogey or worse held steady at 16%. Seems like pretty good score distribution overall and the players got steadily better at finding the right tee shot for success.

It strikes me that what most people try to chalk up to "randomness" and "luck" is really more rooted in simply knowledge (or lack thereof) of the course. The lines are there, you just need to find them. I can't blame the touring guys for not quite getting some holes dialed in after only seeing them maybe 2-3 times. But at the same time, I don't really like that some of them choose to call a hole or a course unfair or random rather than admit it got the better of them.

Scoring spread alone does not indicate a hole's fairness. In fact, the least "fair" holes are likely to have the widest scoring spread.

Here is the scoring distribution for players rated 970+ for hole 14, compared to a typical scoring distribution for a hole with the same average score. Those 5s, 6s, and 7s increases the average score above what you would expect for a hole with this many 3s. Normally, the extra throws would come from more 4s.

attachment.php

Let's look at how all the holes performed. A hole's job is to sort out players. It does that by giving out different scores to different players, and giving out those scores according to skill.

A hole that gives everyone the same score will not break any ties. A hole that gives out scores randomly will muddle the results of the other holes that have sorted players by skill.

The combination of many scores skillfully handed out results in a wider scoring spread of final total scores. Or, to put it another way, fewer ties.

The following chart shows the scoring spread width of the hole (farther right is "better") and the ability of the hole to sort scores better than random (100% would be perfect).

The size of the bubble indicates the impact the hole has in terms of widening the scoring spread width of final scores. Bigger solid bubbles are better.

The open (red) bubbles indicate the hole compressed the scores. In other words, without the red open-bubble holes, there would have been fewer ties.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Waco14Dist.png
    Waco14Dist.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 288
  • WacoHolePerformmance.png
    WacoHolePerformmance.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 287