• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] What about Gateway?

The Assassin and the Illusion are both great drivers by gateway, other than that, putters only.

I like Apaches ok, Warrior is really nice IMO, but yeah; not like you cant get its flight out of something else. Blaze is ok; if you like Whippets and you want premium plastic, it might do the job but I cant say I was impressed.

I like my Assassin. But it mostly became a bag contender because my XL got thrown into a pond...one I've never failed to throw over...because I always hyzer-flipped my XL...DOH!
Maybe it'll stay, or maybe I'll sell it and get another XL...wish they made a cryztal one...damn I love that plastic...

My blaze is extremely straight, forehand or backhand...of course I felt my demon was really straight too.

I absolutely love my SS Wizard. Just recently started throwing an Evolution Warrior mid, and that thing is awesome too, replaced my Roc's. Also have an evolution Speed Demon and that thing is hella overstable, i use it for Forehand shots and Thumbers and it works out great for me. I have a buddy that throws an apache and he loves it. I've been pretty impressed by the gateway lineup so far from what i have thrown

wizards are my putter of choice... i also carry a beat warlock that has a dramatic extra late turn to it. other tan that, nothing else has found its way into my bag with the exception of a blaze. and that was recent so i may retract that statement soon. its been good to me the past few days though.

I use a Med Wizard, SS Magic, and a SSS Warlock. I love each of these and use them for different duties and distance.

The only other disc from Gateway I have is a Diablo DT, and it does nothing for me that my other drivers could not do better. Be glad to trade it.

they're not bad discs, but other discs made by the bigger companies seem to fly much better.

I wish I could mold up a Rhyno in that original Wizard eraser plastic. Or the Wiz had a thumtrac :) I always liked Gateway for being a bit different, but lots of people are turned off by them. I could never get the distance out of their drivers. I did like the fact that you could use an overstable disc of theirs forever, and it will break into a straight disc very slowly. Maybe a downfall to selling more discs too though. I feel like the Demon was the true standout that I've tried. Nothing like it I've thrown. It is an excellent hyzer approach disc if you were having a spastik day with touch layups.
They also bounced into the basket a few times for me. Always hoped they would catch up to the bigs cause they were creative and always nice and helpful to me. So what's the Assassin equivalent in Innova's line?

Blazes overlap way too much with Demons.
IMO, the Blaze can do everything the Demon can but the Demon can't do everything the Blaze can. People seem to like the Demon more for some reason so the Blaze ends up underrated, IMO.

I think the Blaze stands out in it's category (slow, very overstable driver), but it's not a horribly popular category so it's not really a necessity. It's pretty much a direct competitor with the Whippet but comes in better low end plastic and is widely available in high end plastic.

Greevus said:
I could never get the distance out of their drivers.
They have a couple discs out there, the Assassin for example, that have helped with that some. I know at least one guy at DGR says the Assassin is one of the easiest discs to throw 400'. Their fairway drivers are still shorter than what you'll find from other companies. When you left last the big gap in their lineup was a distance driver that wasn't either really overstable or required >400' of power to throw, now a controllable speed 7 fairway driver is probably their biggest gap.

I would throw anything that would get me out to 400'! I don't like the idea of that "illegal" driver they are making. Sounds like cheating to me. I remember the Blaze. I cannot argue your point with the Demon, but the Demon seemed to have that nice grippy thick rim and just landed really better as an approach disc. There is always a caveat to throwing Gateway's drivers, like "it needs to be high", etc, and I wish I could get their reported distances. I'm short, fat, slow, and have small hands. So I need a driver I can throw about 3-4' high and will just fly forever :)

I still like the company and was always intrigued by their newer discs. I used the first run Illusion like a tweener of my Demon and Firebird. It never broke in for me. Ultra durable is the old S stuff.

Just got a used assassin as a backup to the one I have. We'll see if they'll be backups, or buddies...the new (to me) one is the exact same plastic, color, weight. But, as we know...my original is almost FLX like, while new comer is more stiff ESP

I have a 156g element in the s series and it is the straightest flying thing ever. hardly any fade at all!

Not really inaccurately labeled, but they do feel different. However, it should be noted that Gateway intentionally creates different runs of their plastic for the purpose of diversity. They believe this provides a greater variety of options to the golfer, rather than being stuck with two or three "standard" plastics.

I can't believe anyone really buys this. IMO, they buy whatever plastic they can get the cheapest, and grasp at straws hoping all these different plastics turn out decent. I believe this is the case for all their discs besides putters in the various versions of S. For the putter plastics, they try and replicate runs that were popular in the past (and do a pretty good job). McCormack is a smooth talker/spin master who could sell you a spoon when you were looking for a shovel and make you feel like you were getting a deal for the best tool. We live in America, so I don't hold this against him, but I do chuckle to myself when I see someone trying to put an exclusive GDS bag together.

Three Putt's first post sums up this topic the best.

I can't believe anyone really buys this. IMO, they buy whatever plastic they can get the cheapest, and grasp at straws hoping all these different plastics turn out decent. I believe this is the case for all their discs besides putters in the various versions of S. For the putter plastics, they try and replicate runs that were popular in the past (and do a pretty good job). McCormack is a smooth talker/spin master who could sell you a spoon when you were looking for a shovel and make you feel like you were getting a deal for the best tool. We live in America, so I don't hold this against him, but I do chuckle to myself when I see someone trying to put an exclusive GDS bag together.

Three Putt's first post sums up this topic the best.

I didn't say I thought this was a great idea or supported it. However, I thought it was at least worth bringing up the fact that the company has made some attempt to address the issue of varying mold consistency. Whether we chose to believe them or not is a completely different subject.

Latest posts