• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the secret shots in your bag?

I know what I am going to try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tips.

Basically a flick roller that is in the air for a 100 feet or so......

I have to say I cannot think of any holes in Charlotte that "require" a skip shot. I can't even think of any holes where I feel that a skip shot is even the "best" shot for the hole.

True, 'require' really isn't the best word. #15 at Brackett's Bluff and #12 at Angry Beaver are what I'm thinking, maybe #3 at Kilborne. I've had a bunch of people tell me the skip is the way to play 12 at the beaver, I haven't gotten it down yet for that hole, that line is tough for any shot.

The one that some how gets in the basket after banking off of several trees.:thmbup:

I throw some skip shots every now and then, but I think one 'secret' shot that I can do well is turbo putting. I use the turbo putt to get around trees or over obstacles that prevent me from putting normally.

i like my backhand roller, have been using a few FH cut rollers too.

I'll throw a scooby to get some slide on the ground if im stuck in jail.

I would really like to add some overhand shots to my bag but they seem to do whatever they want - cant be having that.

oh forgot the waffle putt.

Situation: 20-50 putt with a tree halfway between your lie and the pin that's too wide to step around. Distance is too short to effectively get much hyzer or anhyzer to curve around the tree.

Solution: a spike hyzer putt with the stable midrange of your choice (mine's a Roc). You first calculate how high you'd need to throw it to lob it in (as if it were a brick), this is the apex of the flight. Then (assuming RHBH), pick a spot just to the right of the trunk at that height. Release the disc at near straight vertical (bottom of disc pointing at 6:30 - 7:00) just missing the tree on the right at the apex you identified. They'll occasionally slice through but you'll be surprised how often these will stick. Not recommended with a strong side wind.

hole 14 at sugaw is a tight gap and then once you get through it cuts left so i take a firebird and use a thumber grip but i throw it like an anny backhand. Its pretty effective.

Here's one that seems rare-The backhand anhyzer. Turbo Putt and plowing a driver through a tree 30 feet from that basket to get out of woods are some other specialties

Skip thumbers. Throw a thumber on a baseball line instead of a football line. If the terrain is right it will skip on the top flightplate and turn hard to the right.

Last edited:
The short to medium range backhand anyhyzer (beautiful and difficult) and the classic hard thumber at 45 degrees to blast out of a patch of light woods.

Off the tree, off the tennis court fence, off the rock, nothin but chains!!
:hfive::p;)

not to sure if it's a "secret" shot but i can throw some awesome annie's. i've even been complemented by pro's on em. mainly on hole 6, city park, NOLA. defintly the strongest part of my game. drives, upshots, putts around trees... they just kind of came natural to me.

ambidextrous tomahawks out of trouble. watching people squirm as i got up and down time and time again during the wildcat bluff tournament this year with them was great

I managed to throw a massive griplock forehand into a goat pen at night.
Seriously, I use a heavy Flick as an overhand roller out of scrub oak, I also use it when I need to make a hard turn about 75' from where I release it. I don't always need it, but when I do, I'm glad it's tucked in the back of the bag.

Scoobers, upside down high anny putts into headwind, spike hyzers and anhyzers, air delays (AKA boomerang hyzers and anhyzers).

Latest posts