• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was your first disc(s)? Don't be shy, give details.

My first set was a Halex from walmart 9 bucks for all three w/ free shipping. Thought they were terrible till i got a starter set from Innova with a dx leopard / shark / aviar, and realized it wasn't them it was me that stunk. I noticed a couple of people had/have lightning discs. Gotta say their putter is pretty good sometimes it seems like it grabs the basket and pulls itself in. Plus it floats.

My first disc was a found orange x out scorpion with a name on it I was 12ish and broke. Probably the only one I've kept without contacting the owner... I fessed up to Chuck Harris about 10 years ago when he was out for his eightieth birthday disc round. He said he probably didn't miss it and was glad to promote the sport. He just turned ninety.

I eBayed an orange one with marker on it so I can rock it old school.

I took a long dg break from 02-13. When i came back i only had a couple of discs so i 'needed' a few more. I remember throwing a 'bird' driver. I bought a firebird thinking that's what i was throwing years ago. I was throwing a couple teebirds back then. Ill never forget that first day, throwing that FB. 100 feet forward.... HARD left dump. I almost quit again.

in 2005 when I started I knew very little - I got a DX Shark because it said multi-use - so I just got 1 disc. But soon after getting hooked I got a Banger, Buzzz, and Surge, from that point it was whatever I found or was given/ bought local from a pond diver - I tried a LOT of stuff and this is all pre flight numbers so it was always hard to know what discs did what and why ---you just throw and hope haha

My first set was a Halex from walmart 9 bucks for all three w/ free shipping. Thought they were terrible till i got a starter set from Innova with a dx leopard / shark / aviar, and realized it wasn't them it was me that stunk. I noticed a couple of people had/have lightning discs. Gotta say their putter is pretty good sometimes it seems like it grabs the basket and pulls itself in. Plus it floats.

Lighting makes more then the Rubber Putter. I am not sure if the Upshot floats but I know the other popular Lighting Putter a Colt/XT type disc, The Upshot #2 is not a water floating disc.

Lighting makes more then the Rubber Putter. I am not sure if the Upshot floats but I know the other popular Lighting Putter a Colt/XT type disc, The Upshot #2 is not a water floating disc.

#2 Putter floats. The Upshot dosen't do that.

My first disc was an Innova DX Shark. If I didn't get something so badass looking in my starter pack, I might never have picked up the game from that shelf at Dick's. :)

Innova KC Pro Aviar
Recycled Latitude 64 Fuse
And some freaky driver called a Helium that was apparently someone's college project. It looked like this except it was blue.

I found all three at PAS.

#2 upshot in Prostyle is like a R-Pro XD/Colt mold which is a lower profile Aviar. If I said the I had a #2 putter i made a mistake.

I have a #2 upshot, it's a low profile putter with a small bead. I have the prostyle plastic. It's the disc I learned to hyzerflip with.

I have a #2 upshot, it's a low profile putter with a small bead. I have the prostyle plastic. It's the disc I learned to hyzerflip with.

I have one too same plastic a 166 gram one now for only uphill putts and downhill putts as the top is not level anymore and with that disc I need it more level to have a putter work for me when driving but I found around a 175 gram Star Shark ( I have a no flight number disc from 2016, was most likely a last of the no flight numbers disc) works for the driving putter spot for me.

I have one too same plastic a 166 gram one now for only uphill putts and downhill putts as the top is not level anymore and with that disc I need it more level to have a putter work for me when driving but I found around a 175 gram Star Shark ( I have a no flight number disc from 2016, was most likely a last of the no flight numbers disc) works for the driving putter spot for me.

Disc is still fairly level just not flat anymore and to have the disc work at higher speeds I need the Prostyle Upshot #2 to be more flat then it is. Disc is over 10 years old, first discs I saw from Lighting were that one and another Prostyle Upshot #2 that was too heavy at the time to work as a driving putter, Driving putters had to be 170-172 grams for me same as my driver discs. Now 172-175 grams works best for driving putters and I will go as low as 170 grams. However with slow putter like midrange discs they need to be at 175 grams for a driving putter, that same Shark as well as a Pro one at ~175 grams I use for the Very short midrange/approach, though not the putting approach.

Last edited:
My very first was a DX Cheetah, a DX Cobra and a grid Aviar. Shortly after I was hooked I got an Eagle, a Viper, JLS, XLs and Omega SS. I still have most of them in a box somewhere.

A Star Valkyrie. The Valk was the world distance record holder at the time and mine has the Sandstrom distance record stamp. I believe it's 171g.

Latest posts