• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh Okay.

light_at_end_of_tunnel61.jpg

1. The fact is that skill is far more important than whatever disc you're throwing anyway.

2. there is a huge user base for this mold that probably rivals the entire user base of all of MVP's drivers combined (dare I say, all MVP discs combined...).

3. there's no such thing as entirely consistent manufacturing, and picking discs is part of the game.

1. Agreed, look at feldy, switching from Innova to lat64 right before the season and already winning huge tournaments.. Although some discs feel better in the hand and may have similar flight characteristics, if you have skill it doesn't matter. Throw whats comfortable. In my case i like the flat and shallow rims of the MVP fairways, it helps me get a clean release every time and the consistently flat domes feel great in the hand.

2. Not sure where you get your "user base" stats from, but around here we get around 20 people coming to leagues consistently and of those people i would say 1/3 are teebird people, another 1/3 are volt people (mostly switched from eagles/tbirds to the volt) and the remaining 1/3 are lat64/millenium/dga/westside/whatever.. guess it depends where your from, but TONS of people are starting to throw MVP in my area, especially some of the top players using mostly the putters right now, but seems like the volt is catching on like wild fire.

3. Right, but be careful talking about consistency and innova discs in the same post though, that's not a wise choice :) MVP has rarely had consistency issues for me, sometimes their first runs come off a little strange lol, but after they implement an adjustment MVP comes out more consistent than any manufacturer i have been able to find.

If i could get consistent CE Eagles today, off the shelf like the ones that i used to throw there wouldn't be any MVP fairway drivers in my bag, i will say that right now, nothing was as accurate as my CE Eagles back in the day.. Luckily MVP came to the rescue when i was shopping for OOP discs to replace the beat ones i had and i was very happy with what they had to offer at such a level of consistency, haven't looked back since. They may not fly like my OOP innova discs did, but they work GREAT in their own way and it just took some getting used to a new flight, now im throwing better than ever and have no worries when i go to buy a new one off any shelf to replace what i have.

Last edited:
Exactly and this is why I don't throw Volts. They're great discs, but they're not replacements for my Teebirds (not that I'm looking for that anyway). They'd be replacements for my OLFs, and until I run out of those, there's no reason to throw Volts for me.

In general, I don't get why you'd even look for a replacement for a disc that you love. If you love TBs, why are you on the hunt for a TB made by another manufacturer? Unless you just want to buy new plastic, which is fine too I guess, but it's not going to help your game much.

We don't want a Teebird.. We want a faster Teebird. It's not a replacement but rather an extension.

We don't want a Teebird.. We want a faster Teebird. It's not a replacement but rather an extension.

Why?

You realize that if you go faster the disc can't have the same HSS and LSS? If you want the same HSS as a Teebird, the LSS will have to increase. If you want the same LSS then the HSS will have to decrease. There never will be a faster Teebird.

Want it to go further? Throw it harder.

1. Agreed, look at feldy, switching from Innova to lat64 right before the season and already winning huge tournaments.. Although some discs feel better in the hand and may have similar flight characteristics, if you have skill it doesn't matter. Throw whats comfortable. In my case i like the flat and shallow rims of the MVP fairways, it helps me get a clean release every time and the consistently flat domes feel great in the hand.

2. Not sure where you get your "user base" stats from, but around here we get around 20 people coming to leagues consistently and of those people i would say 1/3 are teebird people, another 1/3 are volt people (mostly switched from eagles/tbirds to the volt) and the remaining 1/3 are lat64/millenium/dga/westside/whatever.. guess it depends where your from, but TONS of people are starting to throw MVP in my area, especially some of the top players using mostly the putters right now, but seems like the volt is catching on like wild fire.

3. Right, but be careful talking about consistency and innova discs in the same post though, that's not a wise choice :) MVP has rarely had consistency issues for me, sometimes their first runs come off a little strange lol, but after they implement an adjustment MVP comes out more consistent than any manufacturer i have been able to find.

If i could get consistent CE Eagles today, off the shelf like the ones that i used to throw there wouldn't be any MVP fairway drivers in my bag, i will say that right now, nothing was as accurate as my CE Eagles back in the day.. Luckily MVP came to the rescue when i was shopping for OOP discs to replace the beat ones i had and i was very happy with what they had to offer at such a level of consistency, haven't looked back since. They may not fly like my OOP innova discs did, but they work GREAT in their own way and it just took some getting used to a new flight, now im throwing better than ever and have no worries when i go to buy a new one off any shelf to replace what i have.

I pulled that user base stuff out of thin air, mainly because I think it stands to reason that a disc that's been out for 13 or so years will have more adherents than one that's been out for maybe 3. I don't see a ton of Volt users here, especially among the more seasoned guys. But I can say I've gotten plenty of remarks about my Ions and Anodes after throwing them.

And about the Innova and consistency thing: it's a dangerous game, I know. And I do think that you're likely to find less inconsistency out of MVP discs for a bunch of reasons. But at the same time, I couldn't get the exact color of Ion I wanted last time because the one I wanted had a ridiculously high shoulder. It happens. I'm happy with the one I picked up though (flies just like an Ion!).

Why?

You realize that if you go faster the disc can't have the same HSS and LSS? If you want the same HSS as a Teebird, the LSS will have to increase. If you want the same LSS then the HSS will have to decrease. There never will be a faster Teebird.

Want it to go further? Throw it harder.

Idk man. There are some odd discs out there. I am pretty sure somebody will crack it one day.. Even though my Proton Volt is a longer Teebird.

Even though my Proton Volt is a longer Teebird.

Maybe for you it is. For someone with more power it is not. If you put some heat on the Volt it has some turn whereas the Teebird doesn't.

That is the beauty of slower discs. They will have a more consistent flight over a wider range of power levels. The problem with faster discs is that their flights change more and more radically when they are powered down. This variability changes more as you go up in speed.

I think this is where a lot of new "fairway drivers" miss the mark. New manufacturers are making them too fast to get the desired flight lines, leaving buyers somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
There never will be a faster Teebird.

Ehh maybe but the P volts are the closest thing you could get and pretty sure DS has seen a couple discs in his time...

The Proton Volt = faster old school (flat and clear) Champ TB. Many discs are kinda like a faster TB, but the P Volt behaves exactly like a faster TB. The stability and flight are right on...You want a flat flight? Better throw it flat. Nose up? It will fade out earlier, but it will still ride flat for a while. High and turned over? Flies on a beautiful and methodical flex shot. It has more fade than I first thought, but it is late (just like a TB). It has 0 HSS, again like the TB.

So once again, Proton Volt = faster old school champ TB.

I pulled that user base stuff out of thin air, mainly because I think it stands to reason that a disc that's been out for 13 or so years will have more adherents than one that's been out for maybe 3. I don't see a ton of Volt users here, especially among the more seasoned guys. But I can say I've gotten plenty of remarks about my Ions and Anodes after throwing them.

And about the Innova and consistency thing: it's a dangerous game, I know. And I do think that you're likely to find less inconsistency out of MVP discs for a bunch of reasons. But at the same time, I couldn't get the exact color of Ion I wanted last time because the one I wanted had a ridiculously high shoulder. It happens. I'm happy with the one I picked up though (flies just like an Ion!).

It has a lot to do with my presence at the local courses, im always letting people throw my MVP and selling them for stupid cheap to locals just to get them to try it so MVP caught on a lot faster here than most places im sure.

I try to let the discs do the talking for me though.

Maybe for you it is. For someone with more power it is not. If you put some heat on the Volt it has some turn whereas the Teebird doesn't.

I have not got a P-Volt to turn yet without adding a slight anny or torque.. if thrown flat and clean it should just go straight for a long time with late fade.

I am loving the p volt for hyzer lines too, its SEXY with all that forward penetration!

i take that back, my p volt turned a little into a headwind the other day.. but it came out of it strong unlike a neutron volt would.

For lower power players the Volts will seem just like a Teebird, I agree. The difference is quite clear when you give a Teebird and a Volt to someone that is throwing with over 450' of power. I'm sure Mike C can attest to this.

I wasn't even saying I wanted a longer Teebird. I got what I wanted. The new Fairways offer me the distance I always wanted with the same amount of accuracy. I'm very happy with modern Fairway Drivers. I prefer them over the old actually (Volt, River, Amp) stand out to the (Teebird, Leopard, Stalker) in my mind. I know, I know, bold. Not that the old discs are bad because they are not, it's just what you want as far as speed. Teebird and Leopard are great discs.

For lower power players the Volts will seem just like a Teebird, I agree. The difference is quite clear when you give a Teebird and a Volt to someone that is throwing with over 450' of power. I'm sure Mike C can attest to this.

lol, i cant get my volts much past maybe 425' on a good throw.. my destroyers will go 480' though, that's my max D.

lol, i cant get my volts much past maybe 425' on a good throw.. my destroyers will go 480' though, that's my max D.

You don't notice that the P Volt has more high speed turn and low speed fade than a Teebird?

You don't notice that the P Volt has more high speed turn and low speed fade than a Teebird?

well theres so many different teebirds.. some tbird would be nothing like a volt, other would be very similar.

I seriously don't get any turn out of my volts, some of my p-volts fade a little sooner too and dont go dead straight for so long.

My green p-volt likes to lock into a line and go dead straight FOREVER with an VERY late fade. Where as my Orange p-volts all go straight and start fading sooner in the flight.. but none of them have turn.

I have been throwing only Ions and Tangents so much lately that my form is extremely OAT free and clean right now.

my buddy that has a canon easy 500+ distance was ripping the crap out of the volt tonight in the field. he could not get it to turn from a flat release. dead straight with a tiny fade. he was throwing pds along side them and they were nearly identical in flight. he was throwing spds.

as for me ho hum breaking 330 is a good day for me and these were getting out there. love ripping on this disc and knowing its not turning for me. it reminds me of my vector in that sense. SHOCK, N/P VOLT, AMP combo is as good as any offering out there!! Thanks MVP now gimme an PROTRON AMP!!! PLEASE

We threw my P Volts next to a star TB today and they flew very similar, with the Volt fading a bit later.

FWIW.. Its going to be OKAY guys, you wont get sick throwing a P volt.
And we thought MVP had fanboys?! lolololol.

FWIW.. Its going to be OKAY guys, you wont get sick throwing a P volt.
And we thought MVP had fanboys?! lolololol.

WTF are you talking about? Whoever said anything about getting sick of a P volt? Apparently you are incapable of having a civilized discussion.

Wouldn't MVP's N line be more comparable to Innova's Star Plastic? I would think a better comparison would be a N Volt v. Star TB or a P Volt v. Champ TB.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about? Apparently you are incapable of having a civilized discussion.

you have posted probably 10 times asking WHY do people want a faster tb or something along those lines and gotten the same responses from a number of people.. some discussion we are having' not to mention when we reply we are just told that's not true anyways and the holy TB reigns supreme.

Like I said, prolly one of the most hyped discs on DGCR. That is all.

you have posted probably 10 times asking WHY do people want a faster tb or something along those lines and gotten the same responses from a number of people.. some discussion we are having' not to mention when we reply we are just told that's not true anyways and the holy TB reigns supreme.

Like I said, prolly one of the most hyped discs on DGCR. That is all.

I believe I asked that once. I guess you're delusional as well.

Yeah, all the world champs that throw TB's is just adding to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.