• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Whys that, Brody?

I just prefer them as my control driver. Don't get me wrong, Traks are great discs. But every Trak I have thrown has been more stable than what I would expect out of disc that gets compared to a Leopard a lot. Between my Summit, Ibex, and, now, Unlace I can cover all the shots a Trak can (and what I always hoped they could) perform. Plus those discs have other, well-defined roles in my bag already.

As for why I love Ascents so much, there's a handful of reasons:

• First, they have a very predictable fade. I know, on any line, when the Ascent is going to bite. Plus, the fade itself is a quick finishing, hard bite, which adds to the predictability.

•Secondly, I love of the wear stages of an Ascent. most people who throw Vibram know that there's an initial mold stiffness and after you break in past that, you've reached the sweet spot and the disc stays there for a long time. When the Ascent hits it's sweet spot, it gains some turn and loses some fade. This allows me throw the Ascent from a slight hyzer (which is how I prefer to release discs), have it pop up and ride straight, and finish with that quick, predictable bite. At least 3/4 of my driver tee shots require or are suitable for that line.

•The third reason is slightly weird and it is the fact that the Ascent is the most consistent Vibram mold. I've encountered three types of Ascents: Banshee-beefy Ascent, typical Ascent, and neutral (more turn, same fade) Ascent. It gives you a range of stabilities across the same mold. And each has their own sweet spot. The beefy ones lose some fade but retain HSS, the typical As net has the spot I mentioned above, and the neutral Ascent loses a ton of fade (I have a 169 medium in this spot and it's sweet, it just slowly pans right the whole flight, but has just enough LSS to always land flat). Unfortunately (well, I guess not really), it seems like Vibram has gotten better at molding Ascents, as I've been searching since May for a beefy one to replace one I lost.

•Finally, the lack of glide. Most people seem the hate this about the Ascent, but I love it. It allows the Ascent to hold up to wind. It adds to the predictability of the Ascent's flight path. And (this is probably the reason the Ascent is my go to control driver) it allows the Ascent to power down magnificently. The Ascent isn't just my stable control driver, it's also my OS mid. Because of this, I would say the Ascent covers ~80% of my drives between 250' and 350'.

And there is why I love the Ascent (sorry for the novel, this is why I gave a one word answer).

(Edit: It looks like autocorrect owned me quite a bit in that post, sorry for any typos I missed)

Last edited:
I just prefer them as my control driver. Don't get me wrong, Traks are great discs. But every Trak I have thrown has been more stable than what I would expect out of disc that gets compared to a Leopard a lot. Between my Summit, Ibex, and, now, Unlace I can cover all the shots a Trak can (and what I always hoped they could) perform. Plus those discs have other, well-defined roles in my bag already.

As for why I love Ascents so much, there's a handful of reasons:

• First, they have a very predictable fade. I know, on any line, when the Ascent is going to bite. Plus, the fade itself is a quick finishing, hard bite, which adds to the predictability.

•Secondly, I love of the wear stages of an Ascent. most people who throw Vibram know that there's an initial mold stiffness and after you break in past that, you've reached the sweet spot and the disc stays there for a long time. When the Ascent hits it's sweet spot, it gains some turn and loses some fade. This allows me throw the Ascent from a slight hyzer (which is how I prefer to release discs), have it pop up and ride straight, and finish with that quick, predictable bite. At least 3/4 of my driver tee shots require or are suitable for that line.

•The third reason is slightly weird and it is the fact that the Ascent is the most consistent Vibram mold. I've encountered three types of Ascents: Banshee-beefy Ascent, typical Ascent, and neutral (more turn, same fade) Ascent. It gives you a range of stabilities across the same mold. And each has their own sweet spot. The beefy ones lose some fade but retain HSS, the typical As net has the spot I mentioned above, and the neutral Ascent loses a ton of fade (I have a 169 medium in this spot and it's sweet, it just slowly pans right the whole flight, but has just enough LSS to always land flat). Unfortunately (well, I guess not really), it seems like Vibram has gotten better at molding Ascents, as I've been searching since May for a beefy one to replace one I lost.

•Finally, the lack of glide. Most people seem the hate this about the Ascent, but I love it. It allows the Ascent to hold up to wind. It adds to the predictability of the Ascent's flight path. And (this is probably the reason the Ascent is my go to control driver) it allows the Ascent to power down magnificently. The Ascent isn't just my stable control driver, it's also my OS mid. Because of this, I would say the Ascent covers ~80% of my drives between 250' and 350'.

And there is why I love the Ascent (sorry for the novel, this is why I gave a one word answer).

(Edit: It looks like autocorrect owned me quite a bit in that post, sorry for any typos I missed)

I like the novel answer! Love seeing why people choose the discs they do. Gives me a lot more to pay attention to when I am trying discs out. I currently carry both a Trak and an Ascent and they're both awesome. The Trak is the go-to right now, but you gave a lot of great evidence for the Ascent. Thanks :)

I like the novel answer! Love seeing why people choose the discs they do. Gives me a lot more to pay attention to when I am trying discs out. I currently carry both a Trak and an Ascent and they're both awesome. The Trak is the go-to right now, but you gave a lot of great evidence for the Ascent. Thanks :)

Yes, well explained Brodysseus.

I agree the Ascent is nothing if not consistent. That fade....

So, what's next for Vibram in their line-up?? I know the massively overstable distance driver - which I've dubbed the reLace - will probably come out decently soon after the unLace and O-Lace since they already have the specs on it. After that though? Are we hoping for an Ubex and Mobex or rather an unTrak and Oscent?

Mobex and ubex are my vote, my short game is lacking without those two. The fairways I think I can get by with varying runs of ascents and traks. IMO I think it would be more worthwhile with two new mids and would be great for lower power players as well. I thinks mids are the best selling point for them aside from the putters.

I'm hoping for Mobex/Ubex. But I bet it will be the original r420 prototype (possibly slightly tweaked), but marketed as an overstable, utility control driver. It flew pretty short, so I can see them using this one mold to cover both the MODD and MOFW slots. Something massively overstable needs to be their next move in my opinion, to offer a virtually complete lineup. But I'll keep pulling for the Mobex/Ubex... If they can stretch the VP/Summit flight paths 50-100' further, Vibram will become a midrange power house.

Anyone throw the vibram open discs? I'm looking to pick up a ridge but don't know if the half and half discs fly true so I thought I would ask here. If not in going medium.

Anyone throw the vibram open discs? I'm looking to pick up a ridge but don't know if the half and half discs fly true so I thought I would ask here. If not in going medium.
I've wondered this myself! Or are they more of a collector's item?

Guys. Trak vs Ascent.

I tend to throw the Ascent more often than the Trak these days. I have both of them in my bag, but the Ascent is more predictable because it is more overstable. The Trak will flip on me and in the wrong wind conditions be completely unpredictable.

So, what's next for Vibram in their line-up?? I know the massively overstable distance driver - which I've dubbed the reLace - will probably come out decently soon after the unLace and O-Lace since they already have the specs on it. After that though? Are we hoping for an Ubex and Mobex or rather an unTrak and Oscent?

Well, what I am hoping for is what you call the Oscent or MOFWY as Mr. Dodge calls it, and the Mobex. That is of course assuming that we do get the remaining distance drivers first and by the end of next year.

As anxious as I am for more Vibram discs, I am very glad they go through the process they do to test discs to make sure they are the discs they want to release. While other companies are changing names or releasing disc after disc, Vibram is getting it right.

A lot of locals like them. The medium gives you more grip while the firm lets you crank on the disc. Im told its like carrying two discs instead of one

I also found they're slightly more overstable than their non-hybrid brethren.

I haven't thrown this years discs yet, but this is true of the VO discs from last year.

This year's discs look like pokeballs. Makes me want to get six (VP, Summit, Obex, Ibex, Ascent, Trak) and carry them in my Nutsac. And every time I throw, yell "Ascent, I choose you!" (or whichever disc it is). So if I have $120 in extra money sometime soon, I now know what I will be spending it on.

I haven't thrown this years discs yet, but this is true of the VO discs from last year.

This year's discs look like pokeballs. Makes me want to get six (VP, Summit, Obex, Ibex, Ascent, Trak) and carry them in my Nutsac. And every time I throw, yell "Ascent, I choose you!" (or whichever disc it is). So if I have $120 in extra money sometime soon, I now know what I will be spending it on.

I have been out of the loop this summer due to work so I haven't seen this year's yet.

I saw you saying you were trying to find an overstable obex a few pages back. I have found mediums, 175+ and domey to be nice and overstable.

Ha ha my thoughts exactly, I just want another ridge. slap another red wings dye on it. Love the white and red discs

•The third reason is slightly weird and it is the fact that the Ascent is the most inconsistent Vibram mold. I've encountered three types of Ascents: Banshee-beefy Ascent, typical Ascent, and neutral (more turn, same fade) Ascent. It gives you a range of stabilities across the same mold.
Sorry, just had to fix that! I accidentally say it is the most consistently molded and then describe the three different "sub"molds. You're all smart enough to have known what I meant, but it was driving me nuts.

Yes, well explained Brodysseus.
I agree the Ascent is nothing if not consistent. That fade....
It's wonderful. The Ascent always bites at the same point in it's flight, you can count on it, no matter what line.

As anxious as I am for more Vibram discs, I am very glad they go through the process they do to test discs to make sure they are the discs they want to release. While other companies are changing names or releasing disc after disc, Vibram is getting it right.
They sure do take product quality and testing seriously. And I agree with you, that is awesome. Another bonus to the time between discs is that it gives you plenty of time to grow accustomed to the molds they have out and find the ones that truly fit your bag.

For example, I have thrown all of Vibram's molds a lot. The VP, Summit, Ibex, and Ascent are the cornerstones of my bag. The Lace is a good distance driver (especially with the extra stability my noodle arm grants it) for me and I'm digging the Unlace proto I have. I know that I do not care for the Sole, anything I would need a Ridge for is covered by a VP or Summit (and those discs have extra utility in my bag), the Obex is not quite as overstable as I would like (especially as anything more stable than my Ibex is just going to mainly be an utility disc), and the Trak is not as understable as I would like. So I intimately know my bag, know what molds don't work, and know what molds I am really looking forward too (Mobex and Understable Fairway).

I have been out of the loop this summer due to work so I haven't seen this year's yet.

I saw you saying you were trying to find an overstable obex a few pages back. I have found mediums, 175+ and domey to be nice and overstable.
Yeah, the problem is I have nowhere to feel them up locally. And every Obex I have ever ordered, or even encountered, has been pretty flat. And as stated above, I just am not sure an Obex will ever be quite as beefy as I want for that slot.

Only in the beginning, my ridge went from acting like a slightly less stable VP to normal ridge flight sometimes a little right tracking. I love mine though got my second vibram ace this year with one!
I've always wondered what the stages of those discs would be like. I really need to pick some up and try them out. Heck, even just need to test some locally, I think I only have a few throws with a Ridge from last year a club member had.

I've always wondered what the stages of those discs would be like. I really need to pick some up and try them out. Heck, even just need to test some locally, I think I only have a few throws with a Ridge from last year a club member had.

I swear by this disc now, not enough good things I can say about it. I know you like the VP alot but I can't find a use for it unless it's really windy or I need more fade than the ridge. Plus I can't get the VP to 300 not even if I muscle it.

Alright, I need to talk about the Unlace. This disc is what I was missing from the Vibram line-up; something long and truly understable. This disc is the turnover disc I was hoping the Trak would always be.

Case in point, a 340' hole at my local course. The fairway goes out straight for about 100', then goes downhill and turns right. At the end of the fairway, after a fair amount of turn, the basket is in a cluster of trees with low hanging branches. It's a tough gap to hit, because it's hard to throw something on a turnover line that low and give it enough to get it under the low hanging branches. And a low anhyzer will turn and burn or fizzle out and a high anhyzer will hit the trees or fade out early. My strategy on this hole has been to throw my Ibex on an anny and have it land before the trees, layup under the branches, and take my 3. Today though...

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Here's the teebox.
Looking down the ending tunnel from behind the basket (after I holed out).
And how my tee shot ended up.

This disc loves turning right (RHBH). One of the best things about it is that it does not require a full snap to get it turning and keep it turning. A lot of understable drivers I feel like I really have to lay into to keep it turning. But I can throw the r419b smoothly and still control everything about the turnover line it shapes. But the best thing is the glide, it's insane. I threw it softly on a laser beam hyzer-flip, which I thought I threw way too low and was only going to make it 200' or so feet. But it just cruised about 1 foot off the ground and made it all the way to 300'+. This disc is going to be a great understable, hard-turning driver for the people who throw around 350'.

But where this disc is truly going to sell for Vibram is with noodle arms, players learning to throw high speed drivers, and new players. I can throw this on a slight hyzer, half power, and get a beautiful 300' S-curve. A lot of discs claim to have effortless distance, the Unlace truly does. This disc, while being a niche disc for better players, might just be the disc that explodes Vibram onto the scene with more casual players.