• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Played the Becker Ace Race today. Its was a blast. I got one ace (100+ft) and two metals. Can not thank those guys enough. They do a great job setting up the course.

Glad you had a great time. I was a little nervous about some of the choices we made, but they seemed to work out.

This year we reduced it from two rounds to one round, but we added more holes. After our post-tournament meeting we determined that our league should be able to pool together enough portable baskets to have a 36 hole layout and use the whole course next year.

What are the chances we will have a driver three years in a row?

My Ace Race isn't for another 7 weeks. You guys that are saying it's a less beefy Avenger, would you say it's somewhere in the Nuke/Flash/Surge realm? I'm asking because according to the Discraft flight chart, those three discs aren't as beefy as the Avenger.

From what's been posted, I'm gleaning it isn't as fast as any of those. Somewhere like speed 7-9 with stability similar to an Eagle, Viking or PD'ish... sounds like Discraft's answer to a Tee Bird, maybe?

Those who've thrown it, would you say it's definitely more overstable than a Valk?

From what's been posted, I'm gleaning it isn't as fast as any of those. Somewhere like speed 7-9 with stability similar to an Eagle, Viking or PD'ish... sounds like Discraft's answer to a Tee Bird, maybe?

Those who've thrown it, would you say it's definitely more overstable than a Valk?

Definitely. The disc does not like to remain flat. I really had to put some umph into it to keep it level and straight for at least 80% of its flight. No matter what, it will fade out. What it really loved is the hyzer line in which it demonstrated a very smooth flight. Its fade was not harsh or sudden, but it was always there and always predictable. It loved to jump up in the air, often riding at six to ten feet off the ground, especially when trying to keep it low for those tunnel ace runs.

As for a TeeBird, maybe I can see a comparison to the new 12x Champs that have considerable stability, but whereas I would trust a teebird on a wooded course, these prototypes seemed to behave better in open space.

Also, the blend of Ti seemed a little different. I have no way of confirming it, but these Ti seemed softer and grippier.

While we had aces all over the course, the more spectacular ones, as well as close calls, that seemed more skill than luck occurred on the more open holes.

I do know that if you thumber one of these straight into a tree that it will not show any damage after that first hit.

Definitely. The disc does not like to remain flat. I really had to put some umph into it to keep it level and straight for at least 80% of its flight. No matter what, it will fade out. What it really loved is the hyzer line in which it demonstrated a very smooth flight. Its fade was not harsh or sudden, but it was always there and always predictable. It loved to jump up in the air, often riding at six to ten feet off the ground, especially when trying to keep it low for those tunnel ace runs.

As for a TeeBird, maybe I can see a comparison to the new 12x Champs that have considerable stability, but whereas I would trust a teebird on a wooded course, these prototypes seemed to behave better in open space.

Also, the blend of Ti seemed a little different. I have no way of confirming it, but these Ti seemed softer and grippier.

While we had aces all over the course, the more spectacular ones, as well as close calls, that seemed more skill than luck occurred on the more open holes.

I do know that if you thumber one of these straight into a tree that it will not show any damage after that first hit.

Scott, try a fresh Eagle and compare it to these, I love my eagle for trouble shots because it is so predictable, and a fresh one doesn't have as much S curve as a beat in one. Dylan, Justin and I all really liked the disc, and are looking forward to Gotta Go's event where I think we will all play again.

For the TD's waiting on packs, I just noticed this at the bottom off the order confirmation email...

Special Instructions: Thanks for your order! Please note:
- UPS tracking info will be sent via email when the package is in transit.
- Your order will arrive on or near the Friday before your scheduled event.
Regardless of when you place your order, your gear will not arrive until just
prior to your event, early shipment requests cannot be accommodated. Please
wait for your tracking info and resist the temptation to ask us when your items
will ship.

Thank you and have a great Ace Race!

Great description of the way the disc flies. I agree. I also agree the Ti plastic in this disc is softer and grippier than the Ti discs I have. Especially in the flight plate. However I threw a lot of overhands with this disc and it looked brand new after the event. No scratches or dings. Cleaned it up and it really looks brand new. I abused the crap out of one of them and left the other basically unthrown to see just how bad I beat it up. It took some really hard hits on trees and a full power tomahawk into chains at less than 100 ft. Very impressed with the durability.

Personally I do not see how this disc is beginner friendly though. It likes speed and snap. Could be a bit of a meat hook for new players maybe not like Firebird/Predator meat hook but, I don't see it flying straight for new people.

Someone has to have a video!!! C'Mon people don't hold out on us!

lots of video of the guys throwing, only one shot of the disc flight, but there you go

Its more over stable than I thought. Also has a lot of glide if you put too much height on it they sail. All the good throws I saw were low and hard. I was getting damn close with hyzer lines. Hit one ace on my third throw with it before the round started.

Here are a few legit videos.

And perhaps the first Ace on film?

Last edited:
I had Flare before, assuming understable, but now I'm thinking maybe the older-style DC naming might work well for this one, like XF (XS, XL, ETC.) or FDX... Also, because I can't think of any other Stalker, Predator, etc. related words that work yet, and Thesaurus.com isn't either...

9YQmBZq.jpg

gP91qdc.jpg

(Yes, I do take this very seriously.)

This video was posted up on March 8th. I do not believe that this is the AR '13 discs. And their forms...:gross:

:wall: well I suck at YouTube. I posted it before looking for the upload date... It had so few views it had to be real. Sorry to those who have been working through the forum and were put through that 76 seconds of wasted life. :doh:

Latest posts