• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

Did a hippy just beat McBeth?

Performance enhancing puffs?

What was up with that putt on 16 by McBeth?

Pretty sure the pros just proved that Idlewild is the toughest championship course in the world. That was a beatdown. I am really hoping that DGPT makes it back to Cincy next year.

Is SmashBoxx has ANY say in a DGPT event next year, I am putting my FULL weight behind Idlewild. It is a great course, has great cell signal, and the flow of the course doesn't cause a TON of huge backups.

Overall it is a perfect course for us. Other than a few difficult holes to film in the woods, but really that is minor.

Is SmashBoxx has ANY say in a DGPT event next year, I am putting my FULL weight behind Idlewild. It is a great course, has great cell signal, and the flow of the course doesn't cause a TON of huge backups.

Overall it is a perfect course for us. Other than a few difficult holes to film in the woods, but really that is minor.

Thought I heard Steve Dodge say a couple times that they'd be back next year. No idea if that was just him being excited (and in no way binding) or if there's already agreement to return. I hope so. This event was a long time coming for that course. It deserves to be an annual thing.

One thing to keep in mind...they skipped six holes of the 24 permanent holes installed on the course. Some of them are of the shorter, less stressful variety (i.e. sub-300 feet). And some of the holes they did play do have shorter pins as well. There are some reprieves built in for the mere mortals while still offering maximum challenge.

Yes, do NOT let this scare you from coming to play Idlewild. The bold can now play the championship layout, but we mere mortals have a great deal of fun with it playing the milder options. It is a course that lets you try a few really challenging holes, lets you have a breather here & there (the ace run on 9, or playing 13 or 14 short, if you want), then tosses you back into the fire for a little tenderizing!

How did the gallery end up? I wasn't able to watch today.

I'm not good with crowd numbers, but there were definitely in excess of 200 folks following the lead card from the start, and they picked up the folks camped out around the course as they went, with the ones who were following friends' cards there as they holed out on 18. Add in the spotters and volunteers, and it was impressive. :thmbup:

I am one tired and sore fat guy, lol. Standing/running/walking on the side of that hill on no12(old no 10) for 6hrs 3 days in a row... My ankles are screaming, my eyes are completely shot from the fountain that was dripping down my forehead, and my nose is probly gonna peel off tomorrow.... But I'd do it all over again next week if I had to...

Thanks Jomez, Smashboxx and Prodigy for their great coverage. I know filming this course cant be easy but you all did a great job.

I am one tired and sore fat guy, lol. Standing/running/walking on the side of that hill on no12(old no 10) for 6hrs 3 days in a row... My ankles are screaming, my eyes are completely shot from the fountain that was dripping down my forehead, and my nose is probly gonna peel off tomorrow.... But I'd do it all over again next week if I had to...

Thanks Jomez, Smashboxx and Prodigy for their great coverage. I know filming this course cant be easy but you all did a great job.

"I feeeel your pain", to coin a phrase. I used to be a marshal at an LPGA tournament, and it was a lot of work and I was exhausted and aching at the end, but I loved doing it and would come back every year for more.

Let's hope you have the opportunity for "more" next year. :thmbup:

I really enjoyed that exchange between Terry and Dodge in round 1. It went something like this:

*sound of plane flying overhead*

Terry: Sounds like the good folks at Southwest Airlines, Steve were you able to get them as a DGPT sponsor?

Dodge: (point blank) No. They didn't want to.

Terry: Oh, well, um, er, I guess that was wishful thinking on my part. Well moving on with the action here...!

McBeth beat by a hippie? Next you will tell me there will a solar eclipse tomorrow!

Hmm... No arguments going on in this thread?... No Steve's hole analysis?...

(not that I really understand those graphs anyway:p;))

Personally I thought that hole 4(E) should have been par3 and hole 8(6) should have been a 5. No statistical basis for that, just experience.

Last edited:
While I understand and even appreciate the hippy humor, why are we concluding that Conrad is a hippy? I grew up with hippies and long hair and a beard has nothing to do with it. It's a life style.

It would be more appropriate to say, it's not the first time Paul has been beat by someone making a fashion statement.

Conrad may be a hippy, but I wouldn't conclude that anyone from the South with long hair and a beard is a hippy.

Idlewild was not anywhere near as much fun to watch as it is to play. And it was a whole lot of fun to watch.

Watching holes like 15 (that's usually 14, correct?) really showed how elevation doesn't really come across in video.... that hole is a HAUL to climb. The downhill late on the hole before seemed obvious, but off the tee it wasn't. Just nice seeing a course I've spent time on on video - it really showed me how elevation gets minimized.

While I understand and even appreciate the hippy humor, why are we concluding that Conrad is a hippy? I grew up with hippies and long hair and a beard has nothing to do with it. It's a life style.

It would be more appropriate to say, it's not the first time Paul has been beat by someone making a fashion statement.

Conrad may be a hippy, but I wouldn't conclude that anyone from the South with long hair and a beard is a hippy.

Is he in Lynyrd Skynyrd?