• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Masters Cup presented by Innova Disc Golf

This has been the Paul and Paige show. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

I have expressed how much i dislike Avery on the commentary but he and Ian worked perfectly on round 2 coverage.

Videos so far are great. Paul is on one, so damn good.

The perennial question of how you beat Ricky was answered. The same way you beat Paul. Come out hot early and plow him under so he just can't come back. Gonna be an awesome year.

The perennial question of how you beat Ricky was answered. The same way you beat Paul. Come out hot early and plow him under so he just can't come back. Gonna be an awesome year.
Yup. Paul decided he was gonna go all 4xMcbeast on everyone. Great to watch but not very dramatic. Hopefully there will be some good stuff filmed tomorrow...:popcorn:

Like the Memorial, Paul always plays very well at "Dela." So a stellar performance at this tourney is no surprise. Having said that, and having seen him and many others play this course (on video), I don't know how the heck he threw -15 in round 1.

I REALLY want to see a tourney where Paul and Ricky are both playing out of their minds. It would be a battle for the ages.

Like the Memorial, Paul always plays very well at "Dela." So a stellar performance at this tourney is no surprise. Having said that, and having seen him and many others play this course (on video), I don't know how the heck he threw -15 in round 1.

I REALLY want to see a tourney where Paul and Ricky are both playing out of their minds. It would be a battle for the ages.

Theyre just throwing frisbees.

I have expressed how much i dislike Avery on the commentary but he and Ian worked perfectly on round 2 coverage.

Videos so far are great. Paul is on one, so damn good.

Don't know about "perfect", but Ian and Avery did do well together. It seemed like Avery loosened up and dropped his "clipped" style a few times, which really made him a better commentator...

Don't know about "perfect", but Ian and Avery did do well together. It seemed like Avery loosened up and dropped his "clipped" style a few times, which really made him a better commentator...

Ian always wants to make others shine. I don't know if you can do that to Avery in a commentating booth, but even he sounded noticeably better and more relaxed than last week in Czech Republic. Good stuff.

Avery is one of the nicest people I've ever met, but his commentary is very much that washed-up high school jock sort of commentary. You wouldn't think it would mix with Ian's laidback style but I will agree with others: it was a very good pairing. Ian has also had a lot longer to develop his style and personality during videos. Just like how Jamie has improved tremendously since SpinTV started, Avery is doing the same. It is all part and parcel of the growth of modern disc golf and I think it will pay dividends down the road for those who are getting in now.

I very much want to hear an interview with Paul where he explains what "clicked" for him this weekend; specifically if he made any significant changes in his tourney prep.

I have not posted here before but have read the posts for a long time and have followed the sport since 1995. I agree that the sport has evolved very fast since 2014 when YouTube videocasts began to be more widespread and was fascinated at how the throwing forms evolve. I remember when Will Scusterick made his slow-mo video of his drive and it became the form to imitate. I'm not sure who began the straight-arm putting style but it is becoming the standard today among top pros. I watched Joshua play and, as some commented, his form looked awkward and outdated. He curls his arm when putting and though he is good, I think he would be great if he adjusted his form. One shot of him putting at around 20 feet in slow-mo showed the disc hitting his chest right before the forward motino. Anyway, I agree that we are at a time in the sport where the distance between the amateur and the pro is widening considerably. I also wonder how long it will be before we will need a semi-pro category and the pro level will require qualification.

Ummmmmm....

If the key to putting is being able to replicate the exact same motion every single time, regardless of what style of putting it might be, then it would be reasonable to believe that the less complicated the motion(s) is - the easier it will be to do the exact same put every time.

Yes, Anthon was "Ricky before Ricky", but he's not Ricky now. He's obviously still a good putter, but I too believe he'd be even better if he cleaned up his form. However, messing with your put can be a dangerous thing..

As for the commenting, it was much better than Konopiste. It really was. I felt like it didn't start off to good, but a few holes in Avery seemed much more relaxed. In my opinion he is at his best when he is able to speak as a professional disc golfer (and a former world champion at that) and share both his tremendous insight to the game as well as funny stories.

I don't know if it was Ian that guided him in that direction or himself making some adjustments after being crucified last time, perhaps it was both. So yeah, less washed up high school jock, more pro disc golfer = great improvement. Thanks Avery/Ian/Jamie, Konopiste commenting was truth be told horrible so I for one am really happy the right steps were made to give out truly a premium production. DeLa is awesome.

Avery is one of the nicest people I've ever met, but his commentary is very much that washed-up high school jock sort of commentary. You wouldn't think it would mix with Ian's laidback style but I will agree with others: it was a very good pairing. Ian has also had a lot longer to develop his style and personality during videos. Just like how Jamie has improved tremendously since SpinTV started, Avery is doing the same. It is all part and parcel of the growth of modern disc golf and I think it will pay dividends down the road for those who are getting in now.

I very much want to hear an interview with Paul where he explains what "clicked" for him this weekend; specifically if he made any significant changes in his tourney prep.

For me, I feel he needs to learn the same lesson I learned from my thesis advisor. I'd have a topic I was gonna cover, so I'd pick the points that showed that topic. If I only had two points I'd look at it and say, not enough, so I'd cram in two more semi related or similar points. My advisor told me, if the two points you have aren't good enough, you can't make your argument anyway. The rest just annoys your audience. Go listen to hole 9, round 2. Avery describes the shortness of the hole two or three times. Tells you that it has a steep drop off on the far side twice, back to back wrapped on one of his short hole statements, and tells you you can't make a mistake or your in trouble, the basic definition of DeLa, and his most common comment.

My advice. Avery should do a round with Ian as color guy, and only speak when Ian asks a question. Say it once and slowly. Just see how it goes. Avery will be pleased. It will be conversational, but I also suspect, less stressful.

Avery does what he's doing cause he wants to show he knows the topic and course. Avery, cripes, you're a World Championship and the voice of DM. You of all people have nothing to prove. Chillaxe.

The AI show was just ok for me. Seemed like the ad's volume was very low, Avery a bit louder and Ian the loudest. "cake, o to the b".. meh...was waiting for "narly" to show up. Video production continues to be stellar. Amazing how quickly that part of the production has improved. Would be sweet if Jamie & Terry could team up on a few disc golf videos and re-do some commentary.

You guys talking about Anthon's form and how he needs to change it are killing me. Only thing he needs to do is get that knee fixed. No way he's playing near 100%, you see that limp!?

Take a few clicks through his stats over the years-http://www.pdga.com/player/17946

Avery sounds like a typical color guy for boxing, like an old retired boxer that just repeats "He's gotta stick him wit da jab, stick him wit da jab!" It's not necessarily bad commentary it's just not really jibing with what we generally associate with disc golf's style. I think a lot of it is just that we're all big nerds and want to hear more in-depth analysis of things like how the hole plays or design elements or throwing analysis, etc. Casual fans probably think his commentary is solid but how many casual DG fans are really watching these vids? I'd have to think that viewership is still made up by a large bulk of nerds that are pretty initiated and versed on DG already.

I have to admit that I busted out laughing at his Konopiste commentary when he was talking about the castle being built in like 1280 and then stated in the very next sentence that it had been there a couple of years. :D

You guys talking about Anthon's form and how he needs to change it are killing me. Only thing he needs to do is get that knee fixed. No way he's playing near 100%, you see that limp!?

Take a few clicks through his stats over the years-http://www.pdga.com/player/17946

Well, I mean, who better to critique the form of a 1040+ rated player than career INT players.

:\

Latest posts