• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Masters Cup presented by Innova Disc Golf

So most people get "DeLa'd" playing this course.. what do you call it when the course is being "DeLa'd" by Mcbeth?:eek::p

I said "oh no" out loud when Ian said "He can crush some people" in reference to Anthon. Not a great choice of words...

Awesome coverage though, seriously. The filming is fantastic and Im sure DeLa is not an easy course to put on film. Commentary was great as well...very good mix with SpinTV/CCDG...looking forward to more!

First time seeing this Anthon dude play. Sure he's a very good player, only 2 strokes from 2nd! But his stutter multi fast step backhand drive form just looks wacky. Or maybe it's the slow butter smooth form of Kajiyama that makes Anthon's form look so much faster? lol...

Anyone knows what's the biggest margin for an NT win?
Ricky had a big one in the Texas States a couple years ago, but I've never seen somebody leading by 13 strokes after 2 rounds of play. McBeth is just playing insanely good this weekend.

Bummed there wasn't a camera crew on Paul that round. I'm looking in your direction, Jamie :)

In these days where multiple groups are being filmed (FPO, Chase Cards, etc), not filming PM at DeLa during Masters Cup seems like a tremendous oversight.

Anyone knows what's the biggest margin for an NT win?
Ricky had a big one in the Texas States a couple years ago, but I've never seen somebody leading by 13 strokes after 2 rounds of play. McBeth is just playing insanely good this weekend.
Right now, it's only 6 holes short of 3 18-hole rounds.

First time seeing this Anthon dude play. Sure he's a very good player, only 2 strokes from 2nd! But his stutter multi fast step backhand drive form just looks wacky. Or maybe it's the slow butter smooth form of Kajiyama that makes Anthon's form look so much faster? lol...

Ya know when he was at his peak, a year or two before he got locked up, it never seemed that weird. But his style hasnt changed since then; I just think most everyone has gotten smoother. So there may be something to your comparison with Manabu. There are a lot of the slightly older guys that have quirkier run-ups than we are used to, though.

At about 31:20 in the round 1 back 12 video you get a good look at Anthon's form in slow mo.. Yeah, personally I think I'll stick with imitating McBeth/Lizotte/Scusterick/and the likes with really clean looking form. Or Manabu for that matter, what a smooth thrower!

Anyways, Jamie (if you read this) I haven't really been crazy about your commenting for seasons past, but for this tournament I for one think you've done pretty great so far. Maybe it's my taste in commenting that has evolved or maybe you and Ian just fit together. But more than that, to me it feels like you must've worked on some aspects in your commenting to improve, so just wanted you to know that whatever it was, it has paid off. Well done.

Ya know when he was at his peak, a year or two before he got locked up, it never seemed that weird. But his style hasnt changed since then; I just think most everyone has gotten smoother. So there may be something to your comparison with Manabu. There are a lot of the slightly older guys that have quirkier run-ups than we are used to, though.

I think it may be a testament to how fast the sport has developed. Twenty years ago I remember discussions about whether you needed a fast run up or not, and how many steps to get up adequate speed. But there were these players who would do a three step, slow and smooth, and that could throw a mile. Players can overcome herby jerry, but slow and smooth always gives better outcomes.

I said "oh no" out loud when Ian said "He can crush some people" in reference to Anthon. Not a great choice of words...

Awesome coverage though, seriously. The filming is fantastic and Im sure DeLa is not an easy course to put on film. Commentary was great as well...very good mix with SpinTV/CCDG...looking forward to more!

Or, it was the perfect choice of words. :)

Anyways, Jamie (if you read this) I haven't really been crazy about your commenting for seasons past, but for this tournament I for one think you've done pretty great so far. Maybe it's my taste in commenting that has evolved or maybe you and Ian just fit together. But more than that, to me it feels like you must've worked on some aspects in your commenting to improve, so just wanted you to know that whatever it was, it has paid off. Well done.

Aside from the Big Sexy commentating team Jamie/Ian might be my favorite duo this year. Super loose with lots of local knowledge and personal insight. Great job guys.

I'm so glad Anthon is back, great puns like this will be with every round. It's like saying "Man, Tonya Harding is really lead piping the competition," or "OJ is really fileting the field out there!"

Gold. Solid gold.

I think it may be a testament to how fast the sport has developed. Twenty years ago I remember discussions about whether you needed a fast run up or not, and how many steps to get up adequate speed. But there were these players who would do a three step, slow and smooth, and that could throw a mile. Players can overcome herby jerry, but slow and smooth always gives better outcomes.

I think it's also a testament to the advancements in video tech. When Anthon was cultivating his "style", he didn't have instant access to a few hundred videos demonstrating so-called proper form, nor was it as easy to use video to analyze one's own technique. The result is everyone had to figure things out on their own more, and just go with what seemed to be most effective and comfortable. Feels like things have become a bit more homogenized when it comes to technique these days. To be fair, it isn't restricted to just disc golf. Take pretty much any sport and you see the influence of having watched video of other players in other's technique/style.

I have not posted here before but have read the posts for a long time and have followed the sport since 1995. I agree that the sport has evolved very fast since 2014 when YouTube videocasts began to be more widespread and was fascinated at how the throwing forms evolve. I remember when Will Scusterick made his slow-mo video of his drive and it became the form to imitate. I'm not sure who began the straight-arm putting style but it is becoming the standard today among top pros. I watched Joshua play and, as some commented, his form looked awkward and outdated. He curls his arm when putting and though he is good, I think he would be great if he adjusted his form. One shot of him putting at around 20 feet in slow-mo showed the disc hitting his chest right before the forward motino. Anyway, I agree that we are at a time in the sport where the distance between the amateur and the pro is widening considerably. I also wonder how long it will be before we will need a semi-pro category and the pro level will require qualification.

Just watched the front 12 and wanted to give props to the Ian & Jamie -combo. Sounds like you guys have good chemistry and both of you have the passion and knowledge of the sport that are the most important thing, really. Enjoying this coverage very much.

I have not posted here before but have read the posts for a long time and have followed the sport since 1995. I agree that the sport has evolved very fast since 2014 when YouTube videocasts began to be more widespread and was fascinated at how the throwing forms evolve. I remember when Will Scusterick made his slow-mo video of his drive and it became the form to imitate. I'm not sure who began the straight-arm putting style but it is becoming the standard today among top pros. I watched Joshua play and, as some commented, his form looked awkward and outdated. He curls his arm when putting and though he is good, I think he would be great if he adjusted his form. One shot of him putting at around 20 feet in slow-mo showed the disc hitting his chest right before the forward motino. Anyway, I agree that we are at a time in the sport where the distance between the amateur and the pro is widening considerably. I also wonder how long it will be before we will need a semi-pro category and the pro level will require qualification.

You may remember this from twenty years ago, but in methodology discussions back then, some would say that proper form sometimes means the disc hits your chest. Today, I'd say with great form, you never see that. But go look at some of the ads out there on you tube; In at least one of them Nate Doss hits his chest with the disc.