• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Pro Earnings

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
There was a noticeable raise in player earnings this year. Last year 8 players earned 20K or more(including one woman Catrina). Ricky had the most with 59.2k 2nd was paul with 44.0. Nobody else over 30k.

This year there were 14 that made 20k or more(including 2 women Paige and Cat, Sarah hokom was close with 19.3). Rick was top again with 79.2 Paul had 69.4 Paige was 3rd with 41.3 and Sexton made 31.2.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these numbers in 2018...

Assuming thats just prize monies yes?

It's the only earnings that are published for the public, so yes.

As for the increases, just look at the NT bonuses alone, where there was a 400% increase in payout...

2016: top 10 MPO = $6,300, top 5 FPO = $2,350
2017: top 10 MPO = $25,000, top 5 FPO = $10,000

No idea if the source of all that extra money is a permanent one or if this year was a one-off.

At least as far as tournaments go, there should be a reasonable expectation of the DGPT series at least matching last year's payouts. I feel like that has raised the bar for NT and major events too. I just hope there isn't a bottom to whatever wells those folks are tapping, or they continue to find new ones.

Also, both played more events in '17 than they did in '16 (W: 27vs25; M: 25vs20).

Also, both played more events in '17 than they did in '16 (W: 27vs25; M: 25vs20).

I almost included this info last night. Paul made an extra 25k off of 5 tourneys. Sexton played one less event(18 this year) and made 10k more. Paige played in 7 more this year and made 25k more.

I almost included this info last night. Paul made an extra 25k off of 5 tourneys. Sexton played one less event(18 this year) and made 10k more. Paige played in 7 more this year and made 25k more.

That difference may just have been the USDGC alone...$12000 vs $470.

Maybe its an odd year thing, lol. Dug a little deeper. In '15 (The year of the beast) there were 11 over 20k(Mcbeth 20wins in 26 events $72k) and '14 there were 7(Ricky 14wins in 36events $42.9k).

That difference may just have been the USDGC alone...$12000 vs $470.

Yea that's what I was thinking too. If you go back to like 4-5 years, most of the top guys were playing in the high 30s and low 40s events and weren't making near as much. So, there is definitely more money out there but I think the quality of the tournaments is what is really the key here. The some of the guys don't have to play as many events to make the same amount or more. That also helps spread some of it around.

Last edited:
Maybe its an odd year thing, lol. Dug a little deeper. In '15 (The year of the beast) there were 11 over 20k(Mcbeth 20wins in 26 events $72k) and '14 there were 7(Ricky 14wins in 36events $42.9k).

That year was a bit of an outlier, imo. He just dominated all year. To put this in perspective, Paul only had 10wins this year, and only made 3k less in one less event.

Last edited:
This sport seems like it is seeing exponential growth each year. Should only get bigger and better. The level of play will keep getting pushed a little higher with each younger generation learning off the guys and gals before them. Bigger sponsors will come to the table. Could you imagine if disc golf payouts were on par with real golf?? lol

It doesn't even need to be on par, if it were a tenth as good we'd be in good shape. Dustin Johnson is the PGA tour money leader this year. He played 12 events and made $6.35mil...

Last edited:
As long as the money keeps coming from the players themselves, we won't see a huge difference in payouts. It would be interesting to compare the total entry fees from each year as well, although that info may not be readily available.

you're right. A single major is more money than a lifetime of wins for most pro disc golfers I would imagine? I'd like to think that it has the potential to get really big. Collegiate scholarship big. Then you really would have guys trying to make a living as a touring professional but the money has to get to that point but as long as this sport keeps growing the way it is? Seems like it should? Got to attract the big sponsors and get some of the disc golf companies like INNOVA, to dig a little deeper into their pockets. Now is the time! Might be watching disc golf majors on ESPN in a couple of years??

As long as the money keeps coming from the players themselves, we won't see a huge difference in payouts. It would be interesting to compare the total entry fees from each year as well, although that info may not be readily available.

The more people who come to the sport the more popular it gets and the more popular it gets is what could bring in the corporate sponsors who have nothing to do with disc golf and if that happens the pay outs could get huge?

I wouldnt count on it in the near future. Individual players sponsorships are more likely at this time. Though, at some point I would think one of the Energy/Sports drink companies will get involved...

...of course I think I said that on here a couple eyars ago.:|

Last edited:
The American Open wasn't a major?...:sick:

I had to google that. lol I'm just getting back into disc golf after not playing for 15 years or more. I used to play a lot and grew up playing. I grew up about 10 minutes away from Lincoln ridge which used to be Banklick Woods. Just in the time I have been away, I can't believe how big this sport has grown since then. Its unreal!